Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 in wheel concerns...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's a thread about my 25,000 miles on a 21" front rim and yes I went back to an 18".
Look throught it, I answered a lot of comments.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...is-enough.html

My new bike came with a 19" front rim and it took about a week to get use to it and now I don't even notice it.
The 21" I never did get use to it at slow speeds or on crappy roads.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Brettcr
Hey Hogpro... do the people that complained run a 120 or 130 front tire? I honestly would prefer the 130 but i can promise it would rub no doubt about it. I did the 120 Metz and have no issue at all. May have a little to do with tire manufacturer as well. Avons seem to sit up a little more than Metz, etc. But who knows .

My front end is lowered over 2 inches. I didn't make any mods to the fender. Straight up change. No issues at all. I was somewhat worried about the ride, especially going to the 120 (wanted it to still feel like the couch it is. Always rode much faster, clamshelled sitting bikes and didn't want that feel due to back and neck issues). I am running a stock size rear end instead of the 17 or 18. Wanted to keep the feel of the rear. I have no issues with the ride at all. Still good in slow turns, fast turns, tight tuns, straight down the road, etc. Not harsh at all. floats in the front a tad bit more than it use to but i attribute that to the 120 tire. I don't see any problems at all honestly and the ride is right on par with what it was stock.

I have sat on bikes that didn't lower the front end after changing to a 21 and the center of gravity is off. A lot heavier to pick up off the stand. Things of that sort. Didn't ride it though.

It varies. The small percentage of people that run into this issue could have easily avoided it if they took a few simple steps. It is much better to inform people of a possible issue prior to installing a tire than to have them calling you asking why this happened. I just want people to have all the pertinent information and far too often this information is not shared regardless of how often the issue occurs, it has occurred in the past.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:12 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my buddy's RK have a DNA 21", stock height and no problems. Mine is lowered 1" front and rear and so happy with the 21" because now i can ride in turns with no problems. Both never regret, ride well (did i said better) and looks so nice.
Go for it, you won't regret it

Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Will 4.25" rims in 18" fit on the 08 Street Glide without issues front and rear?

Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bowman78
To all have responded.. To those who have upgraded have you ever felt as if you should change back or regret ever changing out the wheels? My bike is stock ride height and I wanna leave it that way.. Hopefully I dont have to lower it?
When you put a 21" on the front, you will no longer be at stock ride height. The lowering people are doing (self included) is actually putting the front back to stock ride height.

Zach

Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM
120r Street Glide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not lower mine I like the little additional lean angle it gave me. I did not raise my stock fender but it did rub the back of the fender. So I would definately raise the fender. When I mounted my wrap fender I taped a section of 3/8" Fuel Line to the tire so I would know I had enough clearence between the tire and fender.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The right wheel and rotors will make the 18 look great!

~Joe

Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm happy with my 21". I did drill the rear bolt holes to 3/8" and tilt the fender. I have no clearance issues. I lowered the front 1" to get it back to the original ride height. I used progressive drop in lowering kit and added Ricor Intiminators. I'm running a 17x200 in the rear. The front end will feel heavy to you at slow speeds. Now I don't even notice it. I like the look and haven't experienced any negative handling issues.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:58 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
I'm happy with my 21". I did drill the rear bolt holes to 3/8" and tilt the fender. I have no clearance issues. I lowered the front 1" to get it back to the original ride height. I used progressive drop in lowering kit and added Ricor Intiminators. I'm running a 17x200 in the rear. The front end will feel heavy to you at slow speeds. Now I don't even notice it. I like the look and haven't experienced any negative handling issues.
All the blah blah blah I read about the 21 and its handling woes ect
I'm very satisfied with mine, keep the tire preeure up and you won't notice the difference

Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Have 28k miles on the 21. Only down side I notice is the front tire wears out faster than the stock 16. Only getting around 10k on the front. Mine has not been lowered. I modded the kickstand to make the bike set up straighter with the 21.

Quick Reply: 21 in wheel concerns...