Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 in wheel concerns...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
bowman78
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21 in wheel concerns...

To those on here that have upgraded their wheels what has your honest experience been like??......tim

Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to hear about this as well as it is the one big change I would like to make, 21 fronts look really good.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

We always recommend that people raise the fender 3/8" as there have been a few people that have had issues with the tire rubbing the inside of the fender causing the paint to blister on top. Some people have had this issue and others have been absolutely fine. There is no set formula for figuring out why this happens to some.

Therefore we always recommend that you drill out the rear two fender mounting holes with a 3/8" drill bit or elongate it with a dremel (fromt the inside of the fender) and tape a 5/16" nut to the tire and spin to ensure it does not rub to make sure there is enough space for the wheel and tire.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

In some instances, you may have to lower the front end a tad, as the wheel will make it sit higher in front.

~Joe

Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master

2012 street glide with 21 inch wheel, no issues, no changes. Search feature rules,

Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done it 4 times and always elongated the rear holes and lowering is an option that I did 3 out of 4 I went 2" but in fthe future I would go 1.5" ,and I got my wheels from hogpro

Old 03-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Hogpro... do the people that complained run a 120 or 130 front tire? I honestly would prefer the 130 but i can promise it would rub no doubt about it. I did the 120 Metz and have no issue at all. May have a little to do with tire manufacturer as well. Avons seem to sit up a little more than Metz, etc. But who knows .

My front end is lowered over 2 inches. I didn't make any mods to the fender. Straight up change. No issues at all. I was somewhat worried about the ride, especially going to the 120 (wanted it to still feel like the couch it is. Always rode much faster, clamshelled sitting bikes and didn't want that feel due to back and neck issues). I am running a stock size rear end instead of the 17 or 18. Wanted to keep the feel of the rear. I have no issues with the ride at all. Still good in slow turns, fast turns, tight tuns, straight down the road, etc. Not harsh at all. floats in the front a tad bit more than it use to but i attribute that to the 120 tire. I don't see any problems at all honestly and the ride is right on par with what it was stock.

I have sat on bikes that didn't lower the front end after changing to a 21 and the center of gravity is off. A lot heavier to pick up off the stand. Things of that sort. Didn't ride it though.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:31 PM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Check out our Tech Articles on wheel sizes and fitments that discuss 21" fitment in more detail. Over 90% of our customers put a 21 up front, and only a small percentage run into the problem with the tire rubbing on the inside of the fender. Ryd Safe!

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
bowman78
Cruiser
Default Thanks a lot

To all have responded.. To those who have upgraded have you ever felt as if you should change back or regret ever changing out the wheels? My bike is stock ride height and I wanna leave it that way.. Hopefully I dont have to lower it?

Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Beach
Advanced

I had the tire rub, because I didn't move the fender! I had a new wrap around fender coking so I wasn't upset. The bike rides fine with the 21' and if I could do it over again the only thing that would stop me would be a 23'

Quick Reply: 21 in wheel concerns...