Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please. Traffic light sensors don't know I am there.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

The loops are controlled by loop detecters. They are in the control box of the intersection. There are sensitivity ajustments on the detecters. Some traffic people know how to adjust them right and some dont. Thats why most of our state is going to cameras and doing away with loops.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:37 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of the lights in my area seem to trip if I flash my high beams on and off. Don't know for sure if thats the reason it changes...but it does change and gives me something to do while I'm waiting

Old 03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Crask6969
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IL just passed a law that if you wait two cycles and it doesnt change your free to run it. Good idea on carrying a copy of the law though!

Old 03-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 895 Likes on 536 Posts

If I take the bike to work, I take a different route. In the truck I have no problem, but one light will not "see" the bike.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:51 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In my area some of the sensors are activated by weight. My Ultra or police EG alone won't trip the light, but the EG w/ sidecar will. If you wait two cycles and it doesn't change, then go through when safe. If you are stopped for this, I believe that most officers will accept your explanation.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:52 PM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

There is an intersection that I will pass thru often on my way home from work. It evidently isn't calibrated correctly. I have found that if the traffic is light that weaving back and forth, as I approach the stop, in a tight pattern will trip it. The law apparently isn't impressed with this move as they followed me one night after witnessing it, but it works and,,,,,they had the rest of their life to get over it.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I called the local DOT office near me. They came out and adjusted the sensitivity. It usually works. If it doesn't I only have to wait 45 seconds and proceed. It's kind of fun going through, just hope local LE knows about the law.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:59 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
In my area some of the sensors are activated by weight. My Ultra or police EG alone won't trip the light, but the EG w/ sidecar will. If you wait two cycles and it doesn't change, then go through when safe. If you are stopped for this, I believe that most officers will accept your explanation.

it's not weight, it's the amount of steel.

ferrous material passing over the loop causes a small current which will activate the light sequence.

like bikes, beer cans are aluminum ( mostly) and don't stick to my magnetic boot

Mike

Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM
tencrore
Tourer
Default Green Light Magnet

Here's what I picked up at my dealership;

http://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html

Although, I don't think I paid that much. Maybe they've increased the prices.

Works very well! I installed it under the left floorboard and have never been stuck at a left turn light alone.

Hope this helps

Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM
hogcrib
Advanced

If the lights are cycling why would there be a need to sit and wait through 2 cycles?

Illinois law is HB2860 and the initial problem was defining: "a reasonable amount of time", the Governor wanted 120 seconds before proceeding. His amended veto was over ridden.

HB2860:
Amends the Illinois Vehicle Code. Provides that the driver of a motorcycle, facing any steady red signal which fails to change to a green signal within a reasonable period of time because of a signal malfunction or because the signal has failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle due to the motorcycle's size or weight, has the right to proceed subject to the rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign.

Quick Reply: Help please. Traffic light sensors don't know I am there.......