Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:48 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts
Default Oil Cooler

Anybody have experience with adding one to your Ultra Classic? I was just curious if it took away from the look... meaning does it stick out like a soar thumb? How much cooler does it keep the bike? I am debating it, just because a fair amount of riding I do is in town.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:08 AM
missionwop
Road Captain
Received 546 Likes on 219 Posts

Just added one to mine. You do not see it unless you are looking for it. Have not noticed much difference in the temperature however.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

more oil capacity is always a good idea, and an oil cooler is smart for our bikes.

while air cools the outside of the motor, oil is used to carry heat away from the internals

if the oil entering the motor is cooler than otherwise, then it has the capacity to carry away more heat.

the oil cooler mounts over top of the voltage regulator- and if you haven't noticed one by now, then I guess they blend in ok as they are on tens of thousands of bikes.

an adapter plate is installed between the oil filter mount and the filter ( there are a few tricks on the install which you can find by searching) and incorporates a thermostat so that the cooler is inactive when the oil is cold

I have the H-D, but look at the Jagg as well, devices that mount under the bike are "out of the airstream" and AFAIK way, way spendy

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-12-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://harleyoilcoolers.com/

Probably the least visable and best cooling cooler you can get

Old 03-12-2012, 01:04 PM
jackloganbill
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moneywoes
http://harleyoilcoolers.com/

Probably the least visible and best cooling cooler you can get
Very cool, but very pricey!!!

I have often wondered about these oil coolers given that the engine was not designed with the focused jets to force the cooled oil into specific areas to cool the pistons, bearings, etc. , such as Suzuki and others employ.

Furthermore, from what I have read, about the most we can expect is slighthly (25 degrees) lower oil temps at some point in the delivery system, but how quickly is that effect diminished when it hits the pool of hot oil?

I plan on adding one, but really not sure why....

JackL

Old 03-12-2012, 01:16 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Anybody have experience with adding one to your Ultra Classic? I was just curious if it took away from the look... meaning does it stick out like a soar thumb? How much cooler does it keep the bike? I am debating it, just because a fair amount of riding I do is in town.
The HD version comes with a chrome cover, which I removed. It seemed to me that it wasn't something that needed to call attention to itself, and the bare black cooler is cosmetically innocuous and mostly invisible down there below the VR. I also felt that airflow would be better without the cover, as would convection when the bike is stationary.

As for the wisdom of adding an oil cooler, there are many threads on that subject here, just sitting there waiting for you to search for them.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

I see the H-D model lists for $299 and with the local dealer discount of 20%, the $240 sounds like a no brainer. I was pricing a Jagg but after you add the cooler-adapters, your at almost $350....

Old 03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have one on mine that was on it when I bought the bike so do not know how it was doing be for but just put a oil temp gauge in the fairing this winter and on my first ride of the year temp was around 210 , waiting to see how it is this summer , my sugestion would be to put it a temp gauge first [ that should be stock equipment ] and see how hot your bike gets and see if you even need a cooler

Old 03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think my Harley oil cooler looks ok. I'm not to crazy about the Black rubber hoses and wish they had braided covers on them but I'm more concerned with the engine oil getting enough cooling.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.ultracoolfl.com/
Check out this link, Booth cooler look pretty good

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler