Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:25 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Holy smokes,, I need to look at the dates on posts,,, ROTFLMAO.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:06 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyjm
I understand if someone chooses a bike over the Road Glide but for God's sake why use the excuse that the instruments are too far away. What is it you want to do that can't be controlled by your fingers and thumbs right next to you?
Because it requires a different pair of reading glasses, especially at night.

Beary

Old 08-14-2017, 03:20 PM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I've had 3 Bats and currently have a RGU. I'm an old fart and me and momma do a lot of long distance touring. While I like the looks of the Bat better, comfort has moved ahead of looks and I get more comfort from the RGU due to it better wind management.
On the shark the speakers are farther away and for me it's little harder to hear the music without turning the volume up high. I like the handle bars being a little closer on the shark. That allows me to sit upright rather than having to lean forward (but I don't have long arm reach which might not be an issue for your).

Old 08-14-2017, 07:32 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Do you ride solo ? or with someone on the back ? My wife loves our 08 uc and does a week or 2 long distance with me every summer. we have bin to surges (1700) miles one way for us and every year she picks a different state. My 2 cents is simple ! which ever fits you the best and is comfortable for the amount you ride is what i would buy ! I really don't care what someone else thinks !

Old 08-15-2017, 02:27 AM
UltraSteveUSAF
Road Master
Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JD HD
I have been looking at the same two for a while now myself, so maybe I can put what I've found in a nutshell for you. First, this is a loaded question your asking. Your going to find that people on both sides of the fence (fixed fairing vs batwing) have strong opinions on this and the subject has also been beat to death on the forums.

My opinion after renting both and extended test rides are as follows:

Ultra Classic has better wind and weather protection in stock trim. The windshield is much closer to you and does a pretty good job of diverting wind and rain around/over you. I also find the stereo is much easier to hear than on the Road Glide. The price you pay with the batwing though comes in handling. You can feel the extra weight of the faring and everything it houses in the bars when getting into turns. You also get some steering feedback behind large vehicles or windy days as the wind hits the fairing. I never found it to be unmanageable though. It is still a nimble bike and handles pretty well overall. Also my opinion, but the batwings are just beautiful classic looking bikes!

The Road Glide Ultra (or FUGLY, as it is sometimes called on here) definitely handles better, having lighter steering input since all the fairing weight is carried by the frame. The handle bar position is higher and farther forward with your wrists at straighter angles. Many hate the stock bars and change them out for Heritage bars, but I didn't seem to have any issues with them in the 1000 miles or so I was behind them. YMMV. It also seems to be more stable behind trucks or in cross winds. The bad: the windshield is much farther in front of you and the fairing itself seems to create a lot of turbulent air from underneath. This causes a very uncomfortable "buffeting" that is strong enough to shake your helmet and/or glasses beyond 50 mph or so. Most claim it is fixable with a different shield and some other relatively inexpensive modifications like Sancho's Wings.

Anyway, I like them both for different reasons. So much so, I haven't quite been able to pull the trigger yet on one or the other. I think I would lean toward the Road Glide if I could actually experience riding one where the buffeting has been fixed to a comfortable level. I just feel like its a big gamble (23K plus) to take on someone else's word. There are a few people who claim that they never could fix it and went back to the batwing. Some claim they would never go back to the batwing after having the Road Glide.

Your best bet is just to go ride them and see for yourself. If you rent, make sure the bikes are in good shape and that the shock's air pressure is set correctly (and tires of course). I had a UC rental that was an ill handling pig until I checked all the pressures and got them to the proper levels. I completely wrote the bike off as a potential purchase until I realized what the issue was.

Good luck.
C'mon down to Creedmoor NC. I have one of each, will go for a ride and you can swap out. My RGU & Police Bike is set up pretty good if your close or over 6'. I too need to look at dates. My point is work hard get one of each. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by UltraSteveUSAF; 08-15-2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:09 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The Road Glide is the best for Touring and a pleasure to ride. The Bat Wing Models are more appealing to most for the traditional/ classics look, which i like too. But everyone you who has the Road Glide, will never go back. It takes a day to get use to the fixed fairing, but in the wind, you just cannot beat this bike. I would save $10-15K and buy a used one sitting in someones garage with low miles on it. Check out this beauty, a one way plane ticket is cheap : https://www.chopperexchange.com/ForS..._Custom/739856 All the best to you in making your decision.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 08-15-2017, 01:48 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I would be careful saying nobody will ever go back.

I tested a 2013 RG and the turbulent air coming from the tank was a lot worse than my SG I had at the time. I would like a RG only because it is the one touring bike I have not experienced. I plan to go find one to ride for a day (no rentals in Oklahoma) so I can determine if the new fairing is at least as comfortable as my Ultra Limited.

I can understand the wind reasoning, especially here in windy Oklahoma. But saying that, I never found the batwing a bad ride in heavy winds. Interestingly I just read an article from a motorcycle magazine where riders, while admitting the RGS was better in the wind, also felt the SG handled better in the curves. Not a big deal to me since I'm looking for an Ultra.

We will see what happens when the 18s come out. That is when I plan to visit dealerships with serious intention of trading my 14 Limited in for the RG.

Beary

Old 08-15-2017, 07:12 PM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
I would be careful saying nobody will ever go back.

I tested a 2013 RG and the turbulent air coming from the tank was a lot worse than my SG I had at the time. I would like a RG only because it is the one touring bike I have not experienced. I plan to go find one to ride for a day (no rentals in Oklahoma) so I can determine if the new fairing is at least as comfortable as my Ultra Limited.

I can understand the wind reasoning, especially here in windy Oklahoma. But saying that, I never found the batwing a bad ride in heavy winds. Interestingly I just read an article from a motorcycle magazine where riders, while admitting the RGS was better in the wind, also felt the SG handled better in the curves. Not a big deal to me since I'm looking for an Ultra.

We will see what happens when the 18s come out. That is when I plan to visit dealerships with serious intention of trading my 14 Limited in for the RG.

Beary
The problem that I found is the standard RG does not come with the deflector 'paddles' that clip on the crash bar, that gives a false excess wind to the rider. My RGU came with them just NOT installed, put them on and all that wind went away.

Currently have a 15" Windvest recurve on the ride, the 'paddles' are in place with the lowers. The bike does not get too hot, I can ride in no helmet states with a ball cap on bill forward at 70+mph and NOT lose my hat.

This was at Creede CO, had been riding all morning situated as it was. The recurve just made it better.

Old 08-22-2017, 10:39 AM
rezrider
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I had a Road Glide Ultra, and this weekend I went back to a bat wing bike, 2015 Ultra Limited. I really liked the RGU, but as someone stated in an earlier post, I just didn't fall in love with it. I have owned 3 Electra Glides prior to the RGU. The handling was good on the RGU, but just not that much better IMHO. I rode to my local dealership satisfied with my RGU, but rode away on my Limited with a big stupid grin that I haven't had in a while. I think it's mostly personal preference, either one will serve you well just get the one that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy lol.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:31 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by ddm502001
The problem that I found is the standard RG does not come with the deflector 'paddles' that clip on the crash bar, that gives a false excess wind to the rider. My RGU came with them just NOT installed, put them on and all that wind went away.

Currently have a 15" Windvest recurve on the ride, the 'paddles' are in place with the lowers. The bike does not get too hot, I can ride in no helmet states with a ball cap on bill forward at 70+mph and NOT lose my hat.
What paddles are you referring to?