Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM
firelttim
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Glide vs. Ultra Classic

Greetings one and all. I am trying to decide between a road glide and an ultra classic. I will rent both to try them for myself, but I'd like to hear from the owners here specifically what they love, hate, etc.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Crask6969
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firelttim
Greetings one and all. I am trying to decide between a road glide and an ultra classic. I will rent both to try them for myself, but I'd like to hear from the owners here specifically what they love, hate, etc.

I LOVE my 2010 Ultra classic. Olny cons I would say is the lack of power (stock 96in) and the excessive heat. BUT both of those you will get with the exact same motor on the RG. I just didnt like the looks of the RG.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:21 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an EGC. I like the batwing fairing and the fact that the instruments are close to me. Seems like the instruments are too far away on the Road Glide. And I have a love/hate relationship with the sharknose fairing (Road Glide). Sometimes I look at it think, "wow, that is a great looking motorcycle. The next time I see one I think, "wow, how can anything be that Fugly". My $0.02.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been looking at the same two for a while now myself, so maybe I can put what I've found in a nutshell for you. First, this is a loaded question your asking. Your going to find that people on both sides of the fence (fixed fairing vs batwing) have strong opinions on this and the subject has also been beat to death on the forums.

My opinion after renting both and extended test rides are as follows:

Ultra Classic has better wind and weather protection in stock trim. The windshield is much closer to you and does a pretty good job of diverting wind and rain around/over you. I also find the stereo is much easier to hear than on the Road Glide. The price you pay with the batwing though comes in handling. You can feel the extra weight of the faring and everything it houses in the bars when getting into turns. You also get some steering feedback behind large vehicles or windy days as the wind hits the fairing. I never found it to be unmanageable though. It is still a nimble bike and handles pretty well overall. Also my opinion, but the batwings are just beautiful classic looking bikes!

The Road Glide Ultra (or FUGLY, as it is sometimes called on here) definitely handles better, having lighter steering input since all the fairing weight is carried by the frame. The handle bar position is higher and farther forward with your wrists at straighter angles. Many hate the stock bars and change them out for Heritage bars, but I didn't seem to have any issues with them in the 1000 miles or so I was behind them. YMMV. It also seems to be more stable behind trucks or in cross winds. The bad: the windshield is much farther in front of you and the fairing itself seems to create a lot of turbulent air from underneath. This causes a very uncomfortable "buffeting" that is strong enough to shake your helmet and/or glasses beyond 50 mph or so. Most claim it is fixable with a different shield and some other relatively inexpensive modifications like Sancho's Wings.

Anyway, I like them both for different reasons. So much so, I haven't quite been able to pull the trigger yet on one or the other. I think I would lean toward the Road Glide if I could actually experience riding one where the buffeting has been fixed to a comfortable level. I just feel like its a big gamble (23K plus) to take on someone else's word. There are a few people who claim that they never could fix it and went back to the batwing. Some claim they would never go back to the batwing after having the Road Glide.

Your best bet is just to go ride them and see for yourself. If you rent, make sure the bikes are in good shape and that the shock's air pressure is set correctly (and tires of course). I had a UC rental that was an ill handling pig until I checked all the pressures and got them to the proper levels. I completely wrote the bike off as a potential purchase until I realized what the issue was.

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Greg2006
Novice

I rented a SG, RG and a EGC, I really wanted to love the SG but my lower back was stiff after 200 miles, the RG I thought was cool looking but if you rent one see if they can put a bigger then stock windshield on it. The stock one blows the wind right into your face, was not a fun ride. I only found out they could swap the windshield after returning the bike. The EGC after 300 miles of rain, cross winds and some nice weather I got off the bike and was still smiling. Today a 2010 EGC is sitting in the garage. Love it... some times when I'm out riding, I have to pull over and give it a hug.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:00 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

All you can do is test ride, either rent or find the H-D demo fleet.

Everybody has their own preference.

I like the batwing, I can tuck into it in crap weather.

the batwing transfers wind gusts into "steering input" as the fairing is attached to the forks, the road glide translates gusts into a "whole bike lean" as the fairing is attached to the frame- some guys are more comfortable with one effect of gusts over the other

touring series bikes of teh same year will share frame, drivetrain, geometry etc, but for the "custom" models which have -1" rear shocks, and any special or limited models which may have a larger motor than other models same year.
the differences are really in how much fiberglass is or isn't hanging off the bike

You are not the first to ponder this, there are multiple threads on this

mike

Old 03-18-2012, 12:02 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by one-up
....... Seems like the instruments are too far away on the Road Glide.
........ +1 ............... .......... . . . .................................... .................... .... hahahahahaaa .. not

Name:  DSC02607_3.jpg
Views: 3802
Size:  89.0 KB

Old 03-18-2012, 01:31 AM
alyupe
Novice

I have ridden both and like both for there abilities. After months of test riding I found a used RGU that was a perfect fit so home it came. So when you throw your leg over the right scooter you will know.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:51 AM
Kingspoke
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Both great bikes! The Ultra is more cozy and provides better wind protection for the rider, but the Roadie is more stable in strong winds due it's aerodynamic frame mounted fairing. A good shield may take away some of the rider protection advantage on the Ultra. The Roadie also seems to handle better (JMO) with less weight on the bars. I like the fairing glove boxes & the simplicity of removing the front outer fairing. I don't miss the infamous well nuts which holds the shield.

I'm happy with either bike, and they both have their advantages. I initially thought the Roadie was ugly, but after you ride one for a while, it grows on you. I love the Ultra's Classic good looks & amenities and probably will not switch, but would not absolutely rule out a Shark in the future either.

Flip a coin(s)!

Old 03-18-2012, 06:21 AM
ttcunn
Stage IV

Well, I've read through the posts and thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. March 6, 2011, I traded my 2008 EGC on a 2011 RG and never quite fell in love with the bike. I agree with the posts before me concerning the wind and fairing placements, tho I never felt that the wind buffeting was the big issue. I guess the issue for me was the fairing was not designed to protect the rider the way a batwing does, I had one guy tell me "give it a chance"....after 24K miles and 11 mos and 2 weeks, I got back into my first love....2012 EGU Tequila Sunrise/HD Orange. I am back in love!!!! I ride daily, and this weekend I put 400 miles on the bike back and forth to Daytona. I live about 90 miles away, so a couple of hours and I'm there. But all in all, its a personal preference, ride 'em both and hope you choose the right one.....but if you do what I did and get one you aren't in love with.....ride it anyway, its still the greatest bike in World, no other manufacturer can brag about the owner loyalties like HD.

Quick Reply: Road Glide vs. Ultra Classic