Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tunes on an old bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
ractrev
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default New tunes on an old bike

It looks pretty quiet in the audio section of the forum, so I thought I would do some fishing here. I have a 1994 Ultra, and I would like to step up the audio quality. I want to get rid of the CB/intercom unit on the dash, maybe the CB under the tourpack, and have the handlebar controls and speed volume still function. I have shopped around a little bit for kits, and have did some searches, just looking for some advise from someone who has done something like this before. I am not looking to make the tourpack removable, (don't care about that) just want to clean up the tank and modernize the tunes.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out this thread....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...or-harley.html

Theres a link to a Biketronics kit on Ebay ... good price too!!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kyote
Check out this thread....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...or-harley.html

Theres a link to a Biketronics kit on Ebay ... good price too!!

$589.99 for my bike - sucks I have to settle for the smaller and lower power speakers....

Thanks for the heads up

Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

depends what you what to do..

On my '95 I put in more efficient speakers ( more sound output at the same "volume setting" than the stock speakers)- I used a set of polks.

I also had an fm modulator, which plugs inline with the antenna cable, my XM radio then attached to the modulator and that's how i listened to XM, I could also unpatch the xm and plug my ipod in.

Or use a cassette adapter.

In any case, I could choose the input source and control the levels from the bars.

The fm modulator was under $100.

Mike

Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mkguitar
depends what you what to do..

On my '95 I put in more efficient speakers ( more sound output at the same "volume setting" than the stock speakers)- I used a set of polks.

I also had an fm modulator, which plugs inline with the antenna cable, my XM radio then attached to the modulator and that's how i listened to XM, I could also unpatch the xm and plug my ipod in.

Or use a cassette adapter.

In any case, I could choose the input source and control the levels from the bars.

The fm modulator was under $100.

Mike
I am looking for a little more quality than I think the factory radio can give me. My rear speakers already have an issue, no sound except for the crack they make when turning them on and off, and I am sure after 18 years, the rest of the system is not far behind

Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

if the rear speakers are cracking like that, it sounds like the amp is getting power ( and if you stick your ear against the speaker you'll likely hear hiss)- but is not getting audio from the head unit for whatever reason, which could include switch and *****.

Looks like you'll be dropping some cash, but you'll be smiling.

suggest you look for an all in one-"package" so that if there are questions or problems, you have a standard type install that is easily understood when you are asking questions

My Polks cost about $65- I went to frys with my own cd and put into a head unit in one of the displays, and just started selecting speakers ( with out adjusting volume or moving bass/treble) to see which set delivered to most volume with clarity and tonality.

Luckily my head unit was and still is fine, except that darn door would flip up at 65

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
ractrev
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mkguitar
if the rear speakers are cracking like that, it sounds like the amp is getting power ( and if you stick your ear against the speaker you'll likely hear hiss)- but is not getting audio from the head unit for whatever reason, which could include switch and *****.

Looks like you'll be dropping some cash, but you'll be smiling.

suggest you look for an all in one-"package" so that if there are questions or problems, you have a standard type install that is easily understood when you are asking questions

My Polks cost about $65- I went to frys with my own cd and put into a head unit in one of the displays, and just started selecting speakers ( with out adjusting volume or moving bass/treble) to see which set delivered to most volume with clarity and tonality.

Luckily my head unit was and still is fine, except that darn door would flip up at 65

mike
That's funny - I took that door off mid-ride on Friday because it was driving me crazy.... I stopped at the local electronics guru today (has helped me with other vehicle systems) and I would sure rather buy his stuff, but he doesn't know anything about the interface to keep the handlebar controls and speed control volume. If I could buy that piece by itself, I could put together a nice system for less money than the kits, or spend the same and have a really good setup.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:10 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ractrev
$589.99 for my bike - sucks I have to settle for the smaller and lower power speakers....

Thanks for the heads up
Oh..bummer.. Sorry, I didnt input any specific model info.. I just saw the $300 odd dollar amount that was listed..

Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Has an 89 glide that I had to build from scratch ( ARC amp, sony deck, Arc speakers) worked great and was very lound - no handle bar controls as it was an old cop bike.

Did the Biketronics kit for my buddies 90 Glide - simple, plug and play and great tunes, a solid bang for the buck performance wise and the handlebar controls work well.

If your going to keep the glide for a long time and the tourpac is staying on, the dragon fly concepts 6.5" speaker pods look and fit great and the speakers really drive the sound quality up a lot. I had this on my 89 and when I sold the bike for my new SG, I kept the tourpac and the speakers.

Comes down to what you want - if the handlebar controls are a must, then getting the biketronics Sony Head unit that holds the IPOD inside of it is a sweet option and you can run an AMP from that to power the 2 4.5" speakers in the fairing and go with the dragon fly 6.5's in the back. You will have to Fab your own bracket to make the amp fit s the older Glides do not have enough room to put it on top of the radio and still fit under the fairing. Not a big project , but just something to consider.