Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to decrease buffeting from gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 12:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 ultra man
I bought the wind deflectors that fit a roadglide (FLTR). part #57000063 for $34.95 a pair. The bottom part clips onto the top of your crash bar and the top clips onto front gas tank mount bolts. My bike had plastic spacers installed(safety recall). I removed the bolt from each side,lifted the tank about an inch, removed the spacers,put the bolts back in and "ta-da".They really work to break up the wind coming up at your face.As for the recall(spacers)...if I hit something hard enough to separate the tank from the bike I will be lying 50 yards from away from the fire and dead as a door ****.This is my opinion...ride safe.
So they will fit an FLH bike? I wonder about an '07 with the old frame, as I'd be interested in plugging that hole. Maybe a crude jury-rig of some sort, a skill for which I'm renowned. I'd like to see some photos and more details if possible.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pics: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-2011-rgc.html

Here is a comment from 2011 Road Glide Ultra:
"The air that used to boil up between the inner fairing and the front of the tank is now smoothly directed up the inside of the windshield. This greatly reduces the buffeting by both reducing the turbulence off the tank and raising the airflow off the top of the windshield. My glasses used to vibrate at speed, now they don't. I hit lots of bees, saw several shoot up the inside of the windshield and over my head - none hit me. Got stung inside my ear three weeks ago, so I'd have to say this is an improvement...."

Originally Posted by iclick
So they will fit an FLH bike? I wonder about an '07 with the old frame, as I'd be interested in plugging that hole. Maybe a crude jury-rig of some sort, a skill for which I'm renowned. I'd like to see some photos and more details if possible.

Last edited by boom23; 03-22-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There's no way to totally eliminate the buffetting on a Harley. Foreign bikes do a pretty good job, but being water cooled, they can add all that plastic to block the wind.

Wanna do away with bothersome buffeting totally? Take off the shields and fairings.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 PM
2010 ultra man
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default wind deflectors

I'll try to upload a picture.See attached thumbnail. I't should help you.

Attached Thumbnails How to decrease buffeting from gas tank-deflectors2.jpg  
Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by iclick
iclick, we FLH owners need a volunteer......

Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Dailydbl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I was checking out a new RG Ultra at the dealer yesterday and noticed the air defectors mounted to the engine guard. I immediately started wondering if those would fit my '05 Ultra Classic. The HD catalog says they fit the older frame RGs, so I'm thinking it ought to work on the older frame FLHs as well.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 ultra man
I bought the wind deflectors that fit a roadglide (FLTR). part #57000063 for $34.95 a pair. The bottom part clips onto the top of your crash bar and the top clips onto front gas tank mount bolts. ride safe.
I also have put these on my Limited.

They do make contact with the adjustable air deftectors that are stock when you go to lock the forks. No big deal in my opinion......

They will not work on a STOCK Street Glide. They hit the turn siginals. Tried them on my buddies bike.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member

Here is a pic of what they are talking about. These came stock on my Ultra.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:56 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The Photo makes them look big, but they are not.

I cut up a lexan file folder, kind you hang on the wall for folders...

It's about 3" wide and 4" long and clear. Straight on it is about to the edge of the spot light

It could be a little wider but the wind decreased ALOT.

Very littel wind compared without.

I do not like the look of the chrome swords so I thought long and hard and came up with these

Attached Thumbnails How to decrease buffeting from gas tank-light-deflector.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 PM
r0ckie
Advanced

Nice job, katobird. How did you cut the lexan fileholder? How'd you get the edges so smooth and the curve so uniform?

thanks,
R0ckie

Quick Reply: How to decrease buffeting from gas tank