Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide Ultra Classic 2008 - Idle question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 07:45 AM
Paolo90
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electra Glide Ultra Classic 2008 - Idle question

Hi guys, writing from Italy.

I recently bought an '08 Ultra Classic, I have a question:

- the first day that I got the bike I noticed that the idle was pretty high ( 1500rpm)....did a rapid research here on the forum, did the ECM calibration and the idle was back to perfect.

Now after a few days the idle has spiked up again. But I noticed that on idle, if I rotate the gas over from the idle position ( not to accelerate but to decelerate), the idle returns perfect and the orange light of the cruise control start blinking. If I release the trottle the idle spikes up again to 1500 rpms and the orange cruise light goes away.

Am I messing around with a bad cruise control calibration or something? I never used the cruise control and the cruise button is absolutely ''OFF''.

thanks to everyone i nadvance.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:50 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Check your cables, have they been properly cleaned and lubricated ,?

Old 06-13-2020, 07:54 AM
Paolo90
Novice

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Check your cables, have they been properly cleaned and lubricated ,?
Do you refer to throttle cable? if yes, my 2008 have ride by wire throttle and does not have a throttle cable.

thanks for your reply

The following users liked this post:
leachman (06-14-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 08:03 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo90
Do you refer to throttle cable? if yes, my 2008 have ride by wire throttle and does not have a throttle cable.

thanks for your reply
Dammit, I forgot , I thought that started in 09. Could be your idle control sensor. Your nor getting ant codes pop up?

Old 06-13-2020, 08:06 AM
Paolo90
Novice

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Dammit, I forgot , I thought that started in 09. Could be your idle control sensor. Your nor getting ant codes pop up?
absolutely not, everything works perfect. that's strange because in these models, you can slightly decelerate from idle position, and the idle returns low, then the orange cruise control light start blinking. if I release the trottle to idle, the idle goes up and the orange cruise light goes away. sounds like cruise control setup to me.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:06 AM
Baird
Road Master
Received 1,061 Likes on 436 Posts

Known problem, Mine does it once in awhile. here's a way to avoid it.

Electronic Throttle High Idle Speed:

The 2008 and later Electronic Throttle (ETC) bikes can develop a high idle speed over time. This is caused by the “auto learn” feature in the ECM that learns the Twist Grip Sensor (TGS) zero position when the bike is shut off. Many riders just flip the switch on the handle bar with their right thumb with the rest of the hand still on the throttle grip. This causes the Twist Grip Sensor to not be at zero and the ECM learns the new position, and little by little this causes the high idle issue.

To prevent this problem, always turn the engine off using the tank switch with your right hand. By removing your hand and shutting down using the tank switch you have to let go of the Twist Grip so it returns to the proper zero position prior to the power shutdown.
I once read you can take it to a dealer and they have a fix, I asked a Harley Mechanic about it and received a blank look.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:44 AM
Paolo90
Novice

Originally Posted by Baird
Known problem, Mine does it once in awhile. here's a way to avoid it.

Electronic Throttle High Idle Speed:

The 2008 and later Electronic Throttle (ETC) bikes can develop a high idle speed over time. This is caused by the “auto learn” feature in the ECM that learns the Twist Grip Sensor (TGS) zero position when the bike is shut off. Many riders just flip the switch on the handle bar with their right thumb with the rest of the hand still on the throttle grip. This causes the Twist Grip Sensor to not be at zero and the ECM learns the new position, and little by little this causes the high idle issue.

To prevent this problem, always turn the engine off using the tank switch with your right hand. By removing your hand and shutting down using the tank switch you have to let go of the Twist Grip so it returns to the proper zero position prior to the power shutdown.
I once read you can take it to a dealer and they have a fix, I asked a Harley Mechanic about it and received a blank look.
to be honest I always shut down the bike with my hand on the throttle so that makes sense.

From now I will shut down the bike with my right hand from the tank switch.
thanks a lot!!!

Old 06-13-2020, 12:08 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,260 Likes on 3,630 Posts

Not sure where the note about high idle speed came from but you always want to make sure that the throttle is rolled complete off on starting. If the ECM looks at it on shutdown, it is likely a few seconds after shutdown. Turning the ignition off does not shut down the ECM completely. Don't hang your helmet on that handlebar and mess with the ignition, make sure the throttle setting in the off position when starting also.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:23 PM
b0fh
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 117 Posts

yep, it happens. always make sure the trottle is at zero when killing and starting the engine.