Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Ride Shields

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the 8" LRS Recurve on my SG. I'm 5'9" and it was exactly the size I needed. Wind buffeting on the interstate is completely gone. I really like that the LRS shields are a tad thicker than the stock ones. Great quality.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No better place to get a windshield. Ordered on Thursday evening, it was at the house when I got home from work Monday. 10" as dark as they make'em. Great customer service. Did I mention LRS is the best place to get a windshield?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:18 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I have the 8 inch ultra on my SG and like it a lot. Its the perfect compromise for comfort while keeping that SG look. My only regret is I didn't get the darkest color. I look over the shield, so I don't need to see through it. I did buy their 11 inch Ultra for long trips, but I wished I had just bought the 10 inch.

Beary

Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

10.5 inch Ultra, med tint on my 90 Ultra Classic. Wish I'd have gone an inch or 2 shorter, I'm 6'1 and had a higher seat when I made my measurements, but I do like the WS. Here's a coupla pics of mine. Bugs are ugly, but I have yet to get one in my face. Any bugs, wind, or rain I catch is from the side and not over the WS.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:17 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I just ordered the 8" for my SG, medium tint. I stand around 5'-10" and have the stock seat. I'm hoping that this size is going to be alright. I guess I can always return it and get a size larger or smaller if needed. I just wondering if I should have gotten the darker shade.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Another plus here...I have an 6" ultra - dark, a 9" Ultra - dark, a 8" flattop dark, x-stream dark 9" and now I have a 10 flattop medium on the way. Great company to deal with and very nice products especially for the price.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Airborne350G
I have the 8" as well. Works nice very little buffeting. But the new shields now come with a logo about 1" above the center screw that looks like a gold wart. This is not seen on any of the pictures of the shields on thier web site. I emailed them asking if this could be removed without damaging the shield but have not heard anything from them.
I received my new 7" Light Tint Ultra Flip for my '12 Street Glide and put it on today. Test rode, and I believe this one's going to be fine. I'm 5'11", and the bike has a lowering kit on the rear, which makes a lower shield height possible, I think. I can feel the wind blast well above my helmet with my hand, and more air blast than I want coming from underneath the batwing.

The "gold wart" is easy to remove, BTW. I just slipped a thumbnail carefully under one end and it lifted up and off easily. I don't mind paying a fair price for a product (any product), but if they want me to advertise it, it'll cost 'em.

With the 7" inch LR, I'm still getting some unwanted buffeting, but if there's anything I learned from owning my '08 Ultra Classic, it's that a LOT of air comes up from the bottom sides of the batwing. I have HD air deflectors on order.

Last edited by racklefratz; 03-26-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two shields (see sig). I use the 12” clear in the cooler weather and the 8” tinted (see attached pics) in the warmer weather. I’m 5’8” and sit on a lower seat (see sig) and they both work fine. I could actually get away with the 9" tinted shield in warmer weather and still see over the top but no complaints with the 8”. Personally, I wouldn't want to go lower than the 8" for fear of buffeting...

Attached Thumbnails Long Ride Shields-photo0093.jpg   Long Ride Shields-photo0095.jpg  

Last edited by MADHOG; 03-27-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:28 PM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put the 8" Ultra on my ECG, I'm 6'2 and it buzzes the top of my helmet!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Racklefratz, can you see over the top and could you see over the top of the 8"? We are about the same height. I am bit worried about the line. When I bought my bike, i also test rode the egc. the biggest thing that got me onthat bike was the height of the shield. the very top was in line with my sight. It drove me nuts. Withthe SG, I can put the 4 on if I know I am just going to putt around town on a warm summer night, then throw on the taller one for longer trips.

Also let me know how those bottom diflectors work. I think you need to feel some wind just to know that you are riding, but again, might be nice for a 5 hour day in the saddle.

Jim

Quick Reply: Long Ride Shields