Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might have screwed up selling my BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:23 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

And take your wallet out of your back pocket!!!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:30 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A seat that is taller and lower bars to you have to tilt forward with your feet more underneath you. I like to feel like I ride on the bike rather than down in it. Takes the weight off your tail bone and back. I had several BMW too, I know what you mean.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 526 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by MassHD
One thing I do is put my feet on the back pegs. It takes the pressure off my back and is the closes thing to the BMW riding position.

I do the same thing, I use the rear passenger floorboards as rearsets to alleviate some discomfort. Might want the handlebars more far forward so you can slightly lean in a sporting position.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

+1 on renting and using the rear foot pegs as an alternate foot placement.

I rode and 07 Softail and was in agony. I loved the feel of the 09 RK I rented but hated the stock seat and bars. My 09 FLHP stock solo seat has me higher than stock and heritage bars work well. As others have mentioned, you will need to find what gets you in the right position.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Ride Ultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same issue coming from a Sportster with forward controls. Could ride it for hours with no issues...custom seat and no backrest for me, only passenger. Forearm was the only thing screamin at about 2-3 hours on the Sportster. It was comfortable for me.

First few months on the Ultra were painful for the middle part of the back and radiated to the stomach. It took miles and months before it went away. All I can sum up is that it's a different set of muscles supporting the rider and until they are conditioned, it will likley be uncomfortable. For what it's worth.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 PM
djhrln
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try the Master Yoda Riding Position. The key for me is to arch the back and bend at the hips, not the waist. This puts you in a slight forward lean. Put a bit of weight on the heals, maintained by tension in the thighs. HD touring bikes won't put you in a riding position conducive to many consecutive hours of riding. You really have to force yourself into a better position. Remember the position your BMW put you in and try to duplicate it.

Test it out by finding a sharp bump and ride over it while sitting as though in a lazy chair, leaning against your backrest, then ride over it using the MYRP. The first will give you a shot of pain in your lower back you'll remember for a while, you'll hardly feel it using the MYRP.

My Buell Ulysses puts me in a perfect riding position for long distance riding. I don't have to think about it. My Road King causes me to sometimes get lazy and bend forward at the waist. It doesn't take log for me to realize I'm just not sitting right.

Anyway, it works for me, may not be for everyone. You've got a great bike, don't give up so easy. Experiment. You'll find something that works.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
And take your wallet out of your back pocket!!!
Cause a new seat, bars, pegs are gonna cost some money. I did the Wild 1 575, Mustang Wide touring seat with back rest and short angled pegs. Vastly improved over the stock stuff and the pegs allow me to move my feet around which changes the back pressure on the back rest. Also added 3/4" footboard extenders.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had two Boxers and a Kawasaki Concourse before buying the 2003 EG Classic. I have a bit of a back problem and did have problems with these bikes but the cure was simple, change the handlebar position. I was nervous about the Harley. However, for the most part it is the most comfortable bike (and car) that I have ever had and can do 1000 km days with no problems. Having said that lessons learnt, getting the air pressure correct in the rear shocks make a heck of a difference. When it was too low I could feel my back. As mentioned before, taking my wallet out of my back pocket makes a difference. You might want to check on the board height. Mine has two heights and i run on the lower position. Raising it to the higher position might put more weight on your legs. Also, on mine I can adjust the position of the handle bars (by rotating). You might want to play around with them a bit.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chunker
Cause a new seat, bars, pegs are gonna cost some money. I did the Wild 1 575, Mustang Wide touring seat with back rest and short angled pegs. Vastly improved over the stock stuff and the pegs allow me to move my feet around which changes the back pressure on the back rest. Also added 3/4" footboard extenders.
No....he literally means take the wallet out. Sitting on your wallet can cause back pain.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 65, 5'11" - 240 - I bought a new Mustang seat - the seat feels really good & it raised me up almost an inch - I learned a long time ago about the wallet - never have it in my back pocket when I ride - I just check the shocks - 8 pounds? Don't know if thats good or bad for me? - I have been riding 50 years & owned over 50 bikes & this is really a new issue for me - I had a HD Heritage a couple years ago that beat me up pretty good on a bad road but it beat me up all over - ride of the Ultra is good, I think the my Goldwing maybe fit me better? I do know I road it pain free - I have no pain in my shoulders & the bars feel like their in a good position - I'm able to bend my elbo's a little - So I just don't know? - I know Vicodin isn't the answer!

Quick Reply: I might have screwed up selling my BMW?