Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie ?, what is a compensator

Old 04-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Dirtball
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btsom,

Thanks. you explained it so that this newbie with some mechanical background understands it. Basically it is a shock asorber that reduces the herky jerky feeling the bike would have without it. Did I get it close?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 AM
rkoko164
Cruiser

What symptoms do you get from a failed compensator?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 'banging' sound when starting, the starter gear disengaging when starting and causing a horrible (embarassing) noise, a clunking or rattling sound when engaging the clutch when taking off.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member

Man I love this forum........always learning if you just read!

Thanks to all!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Iamdent1
Cruiser

I actually learned about the compensator problem on this forum from this great knowledge base. I was riding with a buddy of mine a couple of times and his 07 Streetglide was making this horrific racket on start up. Sounded just like the starter was not fully engaging, knocking and banging and yes it was embarrassing to him. I told him about the compensator issue and provided a link to the post, he ordered the SE version, installed it himself, done deal no more clankin. Again this is a great forum and a very good source for learning.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:01 PM
aces25
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dirtball
What is a compensator and what does it do?
An individual who, in attempt to make up for his lack of security in his manhood, attempts to act like he is the baddest dude on the block by riding a motorcycle.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Harley the only motorcycle manufacturer to use a compensator sprocekt? Because I don't remember having one on anything else.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by aces25
An individual who, in attempt to make up for his lack of security in his manhood, attempts to act like he is the baddest dude on the block by riding a motorcycle.
Nice!! I guess I fit the profile.....

Old 12-06-2013, 11:51 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,203 Likes on 8,360 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Think of the 4 strokes involved with a 4 cycle engine. Starting with the power stroke, there is a large impulse of power to the crank shaft trying to speed it up. Without the compensator, that strong impulse would be immediately transferred into the drive line and would be felt by the rider. The compensator absorbs some of that energy and releases it after the power stroke. Then the engine "coasts through the exhaust stroke and the intake stroke with relatively little resistance from either process. Then comes the compression stroke and the rotation speed is abruptly slowed by the resistance of the building compression. That abrupt slowing would also be felt by the rider if the compensator didn't absorb some of that also. That puts us back to the next power stroke and the compensator feels and absorbs a reverse of force, during compression, the engine could be "pushed" by the momentum of the machine and the compensator loads in one direction, then after ignition occurs, the engine tries to speed up again and loads the compensator in the opposite direction. This vibration would be very unpleasant, but especially so on a long ride. Imagine putting in a 700 mile day holding on to a vibrating lawn mower handle and getting that buzz through your seat all day long. Not only does the compensator reduce the shock loads on all of the bearings and gears in the drive system, it contributes the comfort level we take for granted.
You nailed it!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:28 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

it's that thing banging around in your primary case's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie ?, what is a compensator