Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ohlins vs progressive

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 07:18 PM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When speaking to Mat from Ohlins today he mentioned that Ohlins builds all of their shocks. The dealers do not actually do the work including Howard. Howard will probably have the best price and is why you have to call him. If the dealer advertises cheaper prices Ohlins gets upset with the dealer.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GungHo-HD
When speaking to Mat from Ohlins today he mentioned that Ohlins builds all of their shocks. The dealers do not actually do the work including Howard. Howard will probably have the best price and is why you have to call him. If the dealer advertises cheaper prices Ohlins gets upset with the dealer.
This is not correct , Howard disassembles and makes changes and then reassembles every Ohlins shock he sells , not JRi's but all Ohlins , what makes a shock out perform one over the other is how fast it reacts to change and Howard works his magic on all Ohlins he sells , my Ohlins #6's are 12.323" in length , look on Ohlins web and you will see they only come in 13 1/4" length , who custom made my length ? Howard

Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by GungHo-HD
Matt Sage does not know what I do including building my shocks. I guess that the parts I buy are just for food as I must be eating them. I guess the specialized shocks tools for rebuilding Ohlins that you can only get from me is also something of a figment of my imagination as well as when I build shocks in front of several customers here. Matt Sage has never been to my house nor has he ever seen what I do. I guess I have one of these just for show (shock building bench). ↓

Or possibly one of these to make the pistons flat when people who make parts screw up and someone must take every shock apart, test them and than know how to fix them. You need one of these to get them flat, Ohlins uses a piece of sand paper on a piece of metal. ↓

Or one of these to make numerous products I design, not Ohlins. This is how I make my triple trees ↓:

To make TJ316 forks and build his shocks that you can not buy from Ohlins. How did tj316 get these Ohlins products that you can not buy form Ohlins? Where did they come from? These are 30mm Ohlins cartridges that are worked over to make them work on a Harley and his shocks are the same.

When I go to shows to support you guys I bring along this:

The difference between some people who work a job & sit behind a desk and some people who create and make things happen, must have their own tools and work a lot more hours doing it. I have been told by Ohlins that some dealers bitch and wine and snivel because I have an unfair advantage over them because they can only sling boxes and do not know how to repair or build a shock. That is why Ohlins believes that no matter where you go in the world whoever sells you an Ohlins shock, it is the same. They are trying to tell you that. Just like a 135# person is the same as a 425# person using the same shock out of the box? Just change the spring? I think not. I guess all of those top suspension tuners at the track are there getting paid six figures + are there just as wallpaper, to look good? I do not think they are there just to take a shock out of a box.

I am tired of this crap.

Last edited by FastHarley; 07-14-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 PM
CajunGlide03
Cruiser

Good post and great photos! Your reputation is well-deserved.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:11 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Matt Sage does not know what I do including building my shocks. I guess that the parts I buy are just for food as I must be eating them. I guess the specialized shocks tools for rebuilding Ohlins that you can only get from me is also something of a figment of my imagination as well as when I build shocks in front of several customers here.

To make TJ316 forks and build his shocks that you can not buy from Ohlins. How did tj316 get these Ohlins products that you can not buy form Ohlins? Where did they come from? These are 30mm Ohlins cartridges that are worked over to make them work on a Harley and his shocks are the same.

what rear shock model is that in the photo?

Old 07-15-2014, 04:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by hog95023
what rear shock model is that in the photo?
tj told us that at post #92 above! They are Howard's #6 Ohlins.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:59 AM
GungHo-HD
Cruiser

Great information that I did not know before. Thank you Howard for taking the time to explain the difference as most of us here would not of known any of this. This form is the reason that I made my purchase from you and not someone else. I did not know about your triple trees either. Matt suggested their FKC 101 cartridge said it was new? I will be going back to your web site and learning about your triple trees. I'm still a month away from that purchase anyways. Trust me I have all ready told at least ten people about you and the knowledge that you have in the shock business. I'm very much looking forward to my Motorcycle Metal built shocks and am confident that I have spent my greenbacks wisely. Thank you!

Old 07-15-2014, 07:04 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Matt Sage

Matt has earned his way around the shock business. He was there before I went to Ohlins to receive my factory training to become a factory trained & factory authorized Service Center . You will see Matt at many rally's representing OhlinsUSA. In my opinion he is a great company man and always works tirelessly furthering OhlinsUSA in the advancement of the company in not only the Harley market but also the other motorcycle sports. Matt's professional life revolves his position & I would say he probably is the #2 man in the sales department. He also knows how to take apart a shock and fix it. That is many shocks for many different bikes. When the #1 man is out Matt, without hesitation steps in and does the doing and, in my experience, works perfect.

There are several shock/suspension companies out there in the world that are first rate, Matt is one of the reasons why OhlinsUSA will always be right there at the top with the few others who deserve to be there.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
tj told us that at post #92 above! They are Howard's #6 Ohlins.
have you ever seen a set of #6's shocks or installed a set? If you have you would understand my question.

Last edited by hog95023; 07-15-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:57 AM
DocFXDX
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DocFXDX
Came out to a pool of shock oil under my tire and ruined (brand new - dammit) Lyndall pads. My rear shock on the FLTRU died. I will be calling Howad on Monday morning. I have a 38" inseam and may talk to him about going up a bit in length to aid ground clearance.

Will post up the results.

Doc FXDX
Spoke to Howard yesterday and he was very helpful. I put in an order for a set of #2B Ohlins. I will get a review up as son as I get them and test them out.

Doc
FXDX

Quick Reply: ohlins vs progressive