Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ohlins vs progressive

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:10 AM
2 Evil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very excited about my new Ohlins I just ordered. I can't wait to feel the difference in riding. Howard is a gentleman and gave me excellent information on shocks. Can't wait!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:19 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default TJ's bike

Originally Posted by hog95023
what rear shock model is that in the photo?
In the picture tj316 has a set of JRI B 12" shocks. Since that day he commissioned a pair of one off Hose Mount, externally adjustable separate compression and rebound valving with a threaded body. The body is shorter, the shaft is shorter, the piston is the same, same bottom **** and same end eyes you have except the membrane is removed and the hose is installed where your screw cap is. This change was done after that picture was taken of the forks, the reason for the picture. The picture is of poor quality as far as shocks goes and most can not see it except those of us who were there. I think it was done either last or very early this month. The days all run together for me.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
In the picture tj316 has a set of JRI B 12" shocks. Since that day he commissioned a pair of one off Hose Mount, externally adjustable separate compression and rebound valving with a threaded body. The body is shorter, the shaft is shorter, the piston is the same, same bottom **** and same end eyes you have except the membrane is removed and the hose is installed where your screw cap is. This change was done after that picture was taken of the forks, the reason for the picture. The picture is of poor quality as far as shocks goes and most can not see it except those of us who were there. I think it was done either last or very early this month. The days all run together for me.
Thanks Howard. The JRI shocks in that photo sure look nice. I appreciate the info.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 AM
jak
Intermediate
Default shocks

What kind of warranty do the ohlins have and how often do they need a rebuild? Thanks.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:55 AM
kingz489
Intermediate

Just spoke with Howard a couple of times. I could tell he knows what he's doing and very knowledgable about suspension set ups. I'm really looking forward to getting his shocks. I was originally gonna get the progressive rears. Not sure what I'm going to get for the front end now.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:40 AM
2 Evil
Cruiser

I am in the process of doing my research on the front suspension. I don't get any dive from braking so I'll wait until I get some miles on the 3's I will be getting next week. I have 10w in the front on my Road King now.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Ohlins Warranty

I will do this in two parts

>>> "What kind of warranty do the ohlins have"

<<< I will copy & past the Ohlins Official warranty when I get it as I just asked so you get it right from Ohlins.

This is the reply I just received from Ohlins: "I'm out of the office Wed 7/16 thru Fri 7/18, returning on Monday 7/21. Should you need assistance prior to then, please call 800-336-9029 and ask for Motorcycle Service.

Thanks,
Gary "

>>> how often do they need a rebuild?

<<< That I am qualified to answer. I am a factory certified/authorized trained service suspension technician and factory service center with a piece of paper in a frame:
  1. That depends on many factors
    • Where do you ride your bike ie: live right on the ocean or in the dessert, travel regularly on dirt roads, or severe conditions.
    • How regularly you clean the shafts of your shocks (all shocks, just not Ohlins that do not have a boot). This is very important!
    • If the end user followed the installation instructions I provide my customers via e-Mail (for my clients only).
  2. If you follow the above tasks and do not live right on the ocean or in the dessert, travel regularly on dirt roads, or severe conditions than I have taken many shocks apart at 30,000~35,000 miles and there is significant dirt build up and the oil needs to be changed due to heat & dirt. The wear parts are always replaced along with fresh oil and the shocks are than, after a rebuild with changing inexpensive wear parts are as good as new.
  3. For those who do not install their shocks properly and/or do not clean their shafts regularly:
    • Case 21,000 miles: The shocks were not installed properly and the shock bodies were worn on one side making a wallow in the shock body on both shocks, making the shocks (at the very least) not work properly. The oil was filthy but the shafts could be polished out by me saving them. I purchased new bodies and the total bill was around $325.
    • Case 16,000 miles. The shop that put the shocks on did not read the install instruction and the shafts were scored requiring the shafts to be replaced. The seal head on one side was leaking. The oil was still somewhat clear but a bit brown due to heat but not needed to be replaced (which we always do when a shock comes apart). This also cost around the $300 to replace the parts & rebuild the shocks like new.
I hope this helps. All shocks without a shaft boot need to have the shafts cleaned. Dirt is dragged up into the shock even though there is a scraper, seal, and a shaft bushing than drug up into the shock body and suspended in the shock oil. The oil is there to also lubricate the internals. Dirt causes wear on hard parts eventually and wears out wear parts causing metal on metal. THIS IS ALL SHOCKS!

Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts
Wink

have you ever seen a set of #6's shocks or installed a set? If you have you would understand my question.
Howard is correct , in the picture it is my JRi B 12" , below is my new Ohlins #6

Attached Thumbnails ohlins vs progressive-image.jpg  
Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
Howard is correct , in the picture it is my JRi B 12" , below is my new Ohlins #6
I knew they were not Ohlin shocks by looking at the photo and deffinately no way to confuse the shocks featured in that photo as 6's. grbrown is not alone as a lot of people regurgitate info seen as fact or truth when it isn't. It is their desire to help and I believe the information proffered is without malice aforethought. Unfortunately the info doesn't help.

What did you end up doing with the JRI's?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:23 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I knew they were not Ohlin shocks by looking at the photo and deffinately no way to confuse the shocks featured in that photo as 6's. grbrown is not alone as a lot of people regurgitate info seen as fact or truth when it isn't. It is their desire to help and I believe the information proffered is without malice aforethought. Unfortunately the info doesn't help.

What did you end up doing with the JRI's?
I sold them , when I did my review on the #6's I had 3 people private message me and offer to buy them , I sold them without even trying to

Quick Reply: ohlins vs progressive