Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Dynamics LED Fender Lights and TruFLEX Installs

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Airborne Limited
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Dynamics LED Fender Lights and TruFLEX Installs

Today I installed the Custom Dynamics LED front and rear fender tip lights and a 75 LED TruFLEX running light on my tourpak.

The front fender tip light was a very easy install. All you have to do is use a small headed flat tip screwdriver to pop off the yellow light cover, remove the stock bulb, and replace with the LED board. You may have to bend the receptacle back slightly to get the LED board to sit fully in the receptacle. This is done by putting the screwdriver underneath and pulling up on the bottom of the receptacle.

Before picture of front fender tip light with stock bulb.

After picture of the front fender tip light with Custom Dynamics 40 LED replacement light installed.

The rear fender tip light was a pretty straight forward install, although it wasn't easy. First you have to remove the taillight/brake light so you can unplug the connector for the fender tip light. Then just feed the connecter bcd through the hole into the underside of the fender. You will need to remove the nut that holds on the fender bar to remove the wire harness mounting clip.

To remove the fender tip light itself, there are two small torn screws on the inside of the fender holding it on. They come off easy enough, but taking them off and putting them back on is a pain due to the limited space between the fender and the tire and their small size. Once you have the stock light off, simply run the LED light's wiring up through the hole into the taillight/brake light and plug it in; then replaced the taillight brake light. Run the wiring through the two harness clips, replace the nut removed earlier with a socket wrench, and screw in the two torn screws to re-mount the light. That's it.

These pictures aren't the best, but here is the before picture showing the stock rear fender tip light.

Even though the picture isn't the best quality, you can see the difference the LED rear fender tip light makes.

Next I installed a Custom Dynamics TruFLEX 75 LED running light. The make a version that will run as a running light and brake light or one that will do both and act as a turn signal, but I just wanted the running light.

First, I removed the tourpak liner by removing the two nuts and washers from inside the document holder inside toupak.

Here you can see the tourpak liner removed, the tourpak light assembly removed from its mount (with bulb removed so it wouldn't break). Yu can also see the TruFLEX laying there.

Then, I measured and marked the position for install. I then, carefully, drilled a 5/32 hole in the tourpak (the smallest size hole you can drill and still fit both wires through the hole) to run the wiring for the light inside the tourpak.

Once the hole was drilled, I cleaned the tourpak surface and mounted the light using the pre-attached 3M mounted tape. I mounted it right up against the underside of the lip of the tourpak.

The wiring: You remove the tourpak light bulb assembly by squeezing and turning. You then run the Black wire from the LED light to the Black wire on one of the tourpak rear lights and the Red wire from the LED light to the Blue wire to run it as a running light (if you want to run it as a brake light, run the Red wire from the LED light to the Red/Yellow tourpak light wire). I attached the wires by soldering to the stock wires. You put the tourpak light bulb assembly back into place, put the liner back in, and secure the two washers and nuts to finish re-installing the liner. Whala, installation complete!

Here is the final view of the light installed (unlit)

Here is the final view with the light lit up. This picture shows all the extra rear lighting; the Custom Dynamics TruFLEX 75 LED light, H-D Turn Signal Conversion kit, Bright *** Light on medium setting, and Custom Dynamics LED rear fender tip light.

Hopefully with all this lighting, no one will ever rear end me and if someone does they will not be able to use the excuse that they didn't see me at their trial!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:10 PM
stevevfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a whole lotta lights on the back of that thing. I don't think you'll have a problem being seen. Custom Dynamics is a great company to buy from. I had an issue with one of their products on my Softail. They overnighted me a new part no questions asked and told me to just throw away the bad part.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Airborne Limited
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevevfd
That's a whole lotta lights on the back of that thing. I don't think you'll have a problem being seen. Custom Dynamics is a great company to buy from. I had an issue with one of their products on my Softail. They overnighted me a new part no questions asked and told me to just throw away the bad part.
That's good to know Steve. This was my first purchase from Custom. So far, I am very happy with their products. The quality appears to be top notch.