Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with lighting modifications on my Streetglide

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 AM
trosel238
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with lighting modifications on my Streetglide

Here is my dilemma. I've got a 2010 Streetglide with the stock halogen headlight. My first thought on modifying my lighting was to leave the headlight alone and add the Harley 4 1/2 halogen passing lamps. Which I really like from a looks and visibility standpoint. (the $1000 Harley LEDs are more than I want to spend) However, I looked at the Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED headlight mounted with the Kuryakyn halo ring and I really like it over the stock light. The problem is I don't like the 3" Kuryakyn driving light set that is for a Streetglide. They don't sell a 4 1/2" passing/driving light for a Streetglide only one that works for an Ultra or Electraglide style bike. Do I stay stock on the headlight to match up with the Harley 4 1/2" passing lamps that I would add? I see this setup a lot. Or, do I go Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED on the headlight and match it up with the Harley 4 1/2" passing lamps, which are halogen? No way am I going to do the Kuryakyn 3" driving lights, hey look cheap to me. Give me some input please.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Try the Phase 7 by itself before shelling out any more coin. You will be pleasantly surprised how much light it throws on it's own. If it isn't enough for you then add the HD passing lamps and matching LED lights.

And they do make a passing lamp set-up for SG's. Well it isn't specifically for SG's but looks much better than the towel bar.

LINK

Old 04-08-2012, 08:43 AM
jb27
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. What Garemlin said. I have the HD auxilary lights that he provided a link for. I will be adding the Phase 7 Headlight and 4 1/2" passing lights as well. From what I've gathered you can get the Phase 7 headlight as Kuryakyn or Truck-Lite (they actually make the lights). For the Phase 7 passing lights, you can only get them as Kuryakyn.

I haven't decided what to do for the trim ring. Garemln has a thread about his install showing lots of good pics. He used the HD french trim ring. I haven't seen many pics (other than on Kury website) showing their ring.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jb27
Yes. What Garemlin said. I have the HD auxilary lights that he provided a link for. I will be adding the Phase 7 Headlight and 4 1/2" passing lights as well. From what I've gathered you can get the Phase 7 headlight as Kuryakyn or Truck-Lite (they actually make the lights). For the Phase 7 passing lights, you can only get them as Kuryakyn.

I haven't decided what to do for the trim ring. Garemln has a thread about his install showing lots of good pics. He used the HD french trim ring. I haven't seen many pics (other than on Kury website) showing their ring.

Well I can help ya there too. I had the Halo Trim Ring on my Ultra with the P6 headlight. I actually really liked the looks. I ran it with the LED ring and took it out and it works both ways. Looks fine without the ring if you don't like the looks.

Here you can see it without the LED ring installed. Not super close-up but you get the idea. Doesn't look unfinished or anything.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
trosel238
Cruiser

I was familiar with the HD passing lamp kit that you provided a link for. That is what I am considering buying. My concern is how it would look with the Kuryakyn phase 7 LED headlight, since the HD lamps that go on the HD passing lmp kit will not match the phase 7 lamp.. The only passing lamp kit Kuryakyn shows is the one with the towel bar, Lol, underneath. Don't want that on my Streetglide. So, do I stay stock Harley headlight with the HD passing lamp kit using halogen to match my headlight or do I go Phase 7 headlight with HD passing lamp kit using either the HD LED or HD halogen lamps in the kit. If the Kuryakyn phase 7 passing lamps would work in the HD passing lamp kit that would solve my problem, but I'm assuming they don't. Am I wrong on this? Any suggestions are welcome.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by trosel238
I was familiar with the HD passing lamp kit that you provided a link for. That is what I am considering buying. My concern is how it would look with the Kuryakyn phase 7 LED headlight, since the HD lamps that go on the HD passing lmp kit will not match the phase 7 lamp.. The only passing lamp kit Kuryakyn shows is the one with the towel bar, Lol, underneath. Don't want that on my Streetglide. So, do I stay stock Harley headlight with the HD passing lamp kit using halogen to match my headlight or do I go Phase 7 headlight with HD passing lamp kit using either the HD LED or HD halogen lamps in the kit. If the Kuryakyn phase 7 passing lamps would work in the HD passing lamp kit that would solve my problem, but I'm assuming they don't. Am I wrong on this? Any suggestions are welcome.

The 4 1/2" TL/Kury passing lamps will work just fine in those. Same lamps across the board for all HD 4 1/2" set-ups. It is just the lamp housing that you are buying. Not the whole outer housing.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:02 PM
trosel238
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Garemlin
The 4 1/2" TL/Kury passing lamps will work just fine in those. Same lamps across the board for all HD 4 1/2" set-ups. It is just the lamp housing that you are buying. Not the whole outer housing.
Thanks for letting me know this. Now, I know what I'm going to do. Gonna go with the Kuryakyn phase 7 headlight and passing lamps. Will buy the HD passing lamp kit. The only thing I'm not sure of is what is the French headlight ring. Is that the one in your photos that has the grooves around it? Is it a HD or Kuryakyn part? Believe I'm gonna go with the halo rings also.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by trosel238
Thanks for letting me know this. Now, I know what I'm going to do. Gonna go with the Kuryakyn phase 7 headlight and passing lamps. Will buy the HD passing lamp kit. The only thing I'm not sure of is what is the French headlight ring. Is that the one in your photos that has the grooves around it? Is it a HD or Kuryakyn part? Believe I'm gonna go with the halo rings also.

The grooved one is the Kury Halo Ring.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I was going the same route as you, but after installing the Phase 7 LED in the main housing, it gives me all the light I need for relaxed night time driving. (maybe a little bit more than I really need.

Did not want to ad the extra weight of the accessory lights, and perfered the clean look of the single light on my Street Glide.

It was a bit unfinished with the stock bezel, so I added the frenched bezel that goes over the stock bezel. It is now exactly what I wanted, and the cost was way under $300 total.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM
trosel238
Cruiser

I want to add the passing lamps for looks more than anything else. Also, I like the added visibility they give during daytime riding.

Quick Reply: Help me with lighting modifications on my Streetglide