Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pull a Bunkhouse Tent Trailer with an Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 PM
fidel
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i av a cargo trailer aluminium weight 100 pound and i dont want more than that with the stock oem nrake

Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HDWG and Heather.... I have not pulled a trailer with the bike yet, but am leaning that direction. My wife says when I can put an A/C in the tent, then she will camp...My thoughts have always drifted more toward "tounge weight". Ya know, when I get all my gear onboard, how much tounge weight have I added. IMHO that is a major consideration for handling side effects, the weight of the load is an acceleration / deceleration issue.

When you get back from your trip I would appreciate a follow-up report from ya'll on how things went with your new Bunkhouse.

BTW I am with ya on the ... To enjoy the bike you have to ride the bike. I bought mine to ride, not to trailer. Everything has its time and place.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Hey Heather & Sean,

Congrats on the bunkhouse! You know we liked ours. Pulled it with the RK, and then the Ultra. Had zero problems with clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. But after 1.5 years we did end up selling it and getting a different trailer.

NOT because of the weight, but because of the big profile, it is the wind resistance above 65 mph that was just killing the gas mileage and making it a dog power wise. Under 70 mph I had no complaints. Handles fine, stops fine. I did have an oil cooler on both bikes.

Regarding the warranty, some dealers will overlook that you are towing a trailer, but if corporate gets involved, or the extended warranty people, there will NOT do any warranty work on a bike if they know that it has ever pulled a trailer.

Have fun!!!

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Hey Heather & Sean,

Congrats on the bunkhouse! You know we liked ours. Pulled it with the RK, and then the Ultra. Had zero problems with clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. But after 1.5 years we did end up selling it and getting a different trailer.

NOT because of the weight, but because of the big profile, it is the wind resistance above 65 mph that was just killing the gas mileage and making it a dog power wise. Under 70 mph I had no complaints. Handles fine, stops fine. I did have an oil cooler on both bikes.

Regarding the warranty, some dealers will overlook that you are towing a trailer, but if corporate gets involved, or the extended warranty people, there will NOT do any warranty work on a bike if they know that it has ever pulled a trailer.

Have fun!!!
Thanks Kevin! I'm glad you chimmed in. I know you've pulled yours quite a bit and many miles!

Last edited by HeatherC; 04-17-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:51 PM
ultralimited2010
Advanced
Smile

Then you have those nutty friends that pull their toyhauler in a day early, unload the bike and ride home to get the wife.

Originally Posted by HeatherC
Thanks! Most of our friends have gone to toy haulers. We've stuck by our tent because at least we were riding in on our bike. I saw these little tent trailers and really loved them. They set up and tear down in literally a minute with no poles to assemble or rain flies to stake down. And it gets you up off the ground. We'll give it a shot. If it's too much we'll just go back to our tent and little cargo trailer. Either way we will be riding....not hauling our bike!

I'm hoping it works out because these things are just so nice!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 PM
BikerPaul
Cruiser
Default do it!

I don't know about a bunkhouse trailer, but I have been using a similar camper for many years--350 lbs. empty, plus about 75 lbs. of gear. It is a "travl-lite", which is no longer in production. We especially like it that we are up off the ground-nice in the wet.

I never ride two up, my wife has her own bike. The trailer carries everything so nothing is strapped to the bikes.

I pulled this trailer cross-country with my '81 shovel back in 1990, no worries. My newer 'glides do better, for sure. I see you've already figured out about stopping distance. I also suggest you take some care with how the trailer is loaded, paying attention to the tongue weight. It makes a difference.

We use the camper when we're going to stay in one place and explore a specific area, and use our tenting equipment for gypsy tours when we move every night. It's too much hassle loading and unloading the camper.

Some body mentioned the wind, and in my case, in a strong crosswind I'd rather have the trailer than not, it seems to stick me down

Have fun!

Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,636 Likes on 21,683 Posts

Originally Posted by iwillfixthem4u
Harley Reps at the H.O.T. meetings in San Diego last weekend, stated any hitch mounted to a Harley will void the warranty, even if it is installed to just mount a flag holder.
Anything other than a stock bike will void the warranty won't it?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:09 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ultralimited2010
Then you have those nutty friends that pull their toyhauler in a day early, unload the bike and ride home to get the wife.
Oh yeah...there is that crazy guy! LOL! But I will also admit that I do enjoy the benefits of your Toyhauler from time to time!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by BikerPaul
I don't know about a bunkhouse trailer, but I have been using a similar camper for many years--350 lbs. empty, plus about 75 lbs. of gear. It is a "travl-lite", which is no longer in production. We especially like it that we are up off the ground-nice in the wet.

I never ride two up, my wife has her own bike. The trailer carries everything so nothing is strapped to the bikes.

I pulled this trailer cross-country with my '81 shovel back in 1990, no worries. My newer 'glides do better, for sure. I see you've already figured out about stopping distance. I also suggest you take some care with how the trailer is loaded, paying attention to the tongue weight. It makes a difference.

We use the camper when we're going to stay in one place and explore a specific area, and use our tenting equipment for gypsy tours when we move every night. It's too much hassle loading and unloading the camper.

Some body mentioned the wind, and in my case, in a strong crosswind I'd rather have the trailer than not, it seems to stick me down

Have fun!
Awesome! I am feeling better and better about this! I got pretty good at packing the cargo trailer so no worries there. I'm a professional packer...my Daddy taught me well!

Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Matty64
Road Warrior

Hey Heather, nice setup you and Sean have, I have been thinking about selling my cargo trailer and getting a camper, keep us posted on how it goes.

Quick Reply: Any pull a Bunkhouse Tent Trailer with an Ultra?