Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pull a Bunkhouse Tent Trailer with an Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HDWG
I pulled it 320 miles already, pulls good and all..just worried about longer distances..like 500 plus a day for 6 days...Just wondering if I should get oil cooler, maybe add the auto tuner to my power commander..what other folks have done...does seem like most folks roll with similar setups,just stock..Past several years we have been pulling a cargo trailer I put together, 150lbs dry, 250 or so loaded..did it with 2000 wide glide...and pulled it several times last year with the ultra..did not even know it was there with the ultra
Sean don't know what to say about the auto tuner but if I were you I would go with the oil cooler for sure. You know as well as I do that these things can run a bit on the warm side some times and with pulling the camper its going to heat things up even more so an oil cool should help that.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 PM
MGySgt
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, nobody really answered the question - will an ultra w/ 103 ci pull a camping trailer? I had an 05 Goldwing and it pulled it through the Appalachians and Rockies without a problem. Sold the GW with 85k and still running strong.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 PM
roadkil1995
Cruiser

It should.I pull an aspen classic with a 2010 FLHTK. Pulled it through the Rockies with no problems.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

friend is a dealer for time out trailers....his wife has been pulling there demo trailer for years now...no issues thru the mts across country at hwy speeds in mts with sleet and rain.....you will be happy with your decision to go this route....I will be adding a time out to my set up next summer, Ibought the new bike just to do this....love camping and tenting has been good to me but ready to step up.....for those who raz anyone for camping as you stay in a hotel you have no say in this thread should just stick to the ol "nothing good to say" keep it to yourself.........

Old 09-09-2012, 02:12 AM
BikerPaul
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MGySgt
Okay, nobody really answered the question - will an ultra w/ 103 ci pull a camping trailer? I had an 05 Goldwing and it pulled it through the Appalachians and Rockies without a problem. Sold the GW with 85k and still running strong.
I pulled my camper across the Rockies with my '81 shovelhead. I'm confident your 103 will manage!

Old 09-09-2012, 03:24 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

This trailer thing intrigues me. I don't think I would like pulling one. We (wife and I) have managed just fine on long trips without one. But, you do have to pack carefully and take time to do a little laundry every 4 or 5 days. (not a big deal really). But, my idea of camping is a Holiday Inn! Screw the camper, un-airconditioned, tent sleeping on the ground crap!!! I'm too old and the back won't take it anymore! (not to mention there is no cable!)

Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 AM
DixinTex
Advanced

sweet camper heather, i been pulling a napper II camper for a while now, it looks bad on outside but the canvas looks brand new. the extra weight will wreck your stock clutch plates after a while but they suc anyway. your clutch spring will be fine. i suggest getting the se plates or a set of barnett plates as they have larger friction discs on them to absorb the strain. as for warranty, remove all traces of towing package before taking it in and never mention the trailer.. as for me, harley can stick their warranty and their service. i always tell them when they ask if i want extended warranty" i don't need ya warranty or you' BUTTTTT---see below

Old 09-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Lone Star Biker
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I talked to a guy in Sturgis that pulled his aspen classic all the way from Texas with an older EVO ultra classic. He had it loaded down with am ac unit, generator, plus all his gear. He said it pulls no problem. You should be fine with a twin cam.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:14 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like a 6'x6' $30 kmart tent and double size air matress,room for two . min 12volt air compresor to inflate it.All fits on the lugage rack with bedroll and cloths.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:42 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

We have a Bunkhouse, and pull it without problems with our TC88. Previous to that we pulled it with our 1984 Yamaha Venture 1200. Twenty pounds of tongue weight is a lot less than 100% passenger and gear. You do have to watch out for "push", however, when braking. Give your self plenty of time coming to stops.

The newer models come with brakes, which we don't have on our '91 model.

We took out the lousy foam mattresses, and bought an air mattress, which we can easily pump up using the Harley's cigarette lighter plug.

The best part of pulling a camper is that we can now actually camp, doing our cooking, etc, right in the campground. Plus we can park our Ultra in the "garage!"

Attached Thumbnails Any pull a Bunkhouse Tent Trailer with an Ultra?-duluth-vacation-001a.jpg   Any pull a Bunkhouse Tent Trailer with an Ultra?-duluth-vacation-007a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Any pull a Bunkhouse Tent Trailer with an Ultra?