Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Keith50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting fluid is bad news

Old 05-02-2012, 03:17 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheArchitect
Sorry, I can't answer the codes question but I'd lay money that the injectors are clogged from sitting so long. Get some starting fluid, remove the A/C and squirt the fluid into the intake. It should start and run a few seconds. If it does then you know the problem is the fuel system, and is probably the injectors. There are injector cleaning services if you don't mind removing them yourself.

seen this many times...gas turns to varnish and clogs injectors or carb jets. I never had to resort to pulling the injectors and soaking them...usally...keep runningg the bike a few times by priming the intake with fuel...after a few runs the vibrations along with new gas will loosn up the varnish. going forward...just add some sta-bil to the gas during storage (I know you inherited the problem).

Old 05-02-2012, 04:07 PM
stevefxdi
Cruiser

you might need to do a relearn procedure from the bike sitting so long with a dead battery, its very easy to do but you will need to hook up a battery charger because the ignition stays on for a full 30 minutes, the procedure remarries the tssm to the ecm so the bike wil start, had to do this to my bike after letting it sit for a month with no battery in it, let me know if you need the procedure. one quick question after trying to start it does the security light on the speedo start flashing

Old 05-02-2012, 04:34 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer

Steve the security light does not start flashing after trying to start. The bike does not have security installed on it and does not have a fob with it, so I am not sure if a relearn would help out. At this point though, I'm willing to try anything.

Really do not want to have to pull the injectors out.

For those that have pulled the fuel pump assembly out of the tank, how difficult was it. Think of doing so to inspect filter and check lines for holes.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Thomto
Novice
Default no start

Pull plug wire check for spark. If spark take air cleaner cover off and crank. Look for fuel. That should narrow it down.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:53 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer

Thomto when you say look for fuel, should it spray as I roll throttle or as I try to crank?

I am in need of a favor from someone with a near full tank of gas. I just took a small flashlight and shined into the tank. When I turn the ignition on and the fuel pump engages, there is a small ripple effect inside the tank. IS THIS NORMAL OR COULD ONE OF MY LINES HAVE A HOLE IN IT AND BE THE CULPRIT. Could someone look into their tank and let me know if you get a bit of gas moving (not cranking bike, just turning ignition and allowing fuel pump to kick in). Thanks.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:00 PM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it is normal to see the ripple effect in tank when pump is running. If there was a hole in the line, you would either see a spray or bubbles. Sounds like your lines are clear.
If I were in your position, I would take the pressure side line off of the bottom of the gas tank, and let it drain. I would then put as much sea-foam into that line as it would hold, and put the line back on. I would then crank that motor over with the throttle held wide open. EFI will sense throttle position, and will open those injectors trying to let fuel through them. If the bike started with S/ fluid, then you know your missing fuel. Pump is running, so you have pressure. Be careful if you do pull the pressure line, there will be a little built up pressure. I will post how to check for stored codes in a second.

If you do pull a plug to check for spark, make sure that the plug is grounded out and will not lose the ground while cranking. The ignition is sensitve and if there is no plug connected while cranking, it can fry the system.

Last edited by jcb1975@yahoo.com; 05-02-2012 at 05:06 PM. Reason: plugs
Old 05-02-2012, 05:04 PM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To check for stored codes; Turn ignition on, count to 3. Turn off, count to 3. Turn on, count to three, off, to 3. Turn ignition on, count to 8 and watch the check engine light. Will flash in rapid succession, count those flashes. Will have a one second pause, and then rapid flashes, count the second series, that is your second number. If you do get a code, I have the shop manual for a 99, don't know if it is the same but will look it up anyway.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 PM
wideopen4life
Tourer

Originally Posted by jcb1975@yahoo.com
To check for stored codes; Turn ignition on, count to 3. Turn off, count to 3. Turn on, count to three, off, to 3. Turn ignition on, count to 8 and watch the check engine light. Will flash in rapid succession, count those flashes. Will have a one second pause, and then rapid flashes, count the second series, that is your second number. If you do get a code, I have the shop manual for a 99, don't know if it is the same but will look it up anyway.
Will try this method shortly. Do you have any pdf information on removing the injectors? Nobody local has a service manual for this in stock today. Hoping someone could post up a few pages on removing injectors.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
styndryinwa
Cruiser

sorry its not the pump or the fuel injectors than maybe out of time in some way maybe

Quick Reply: Road King Won't Start