Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAL-1 tail light w/HD led turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,526 Likes on 4,073 Posts
Default BAL-1 tail light w/HD led turn signals

I have a 2012 FLHTK with the BAL-1 tail light and the HD LED Turn signals front & back.

I went with the HD LED turn signals, because my dealer gave a great deal on them. I went with the BAL-1 because I thought the HD LED tail light was too gaudy with all the chrome trim.

When I removed the stock tail light, I had to remove the connector for the main wires and a smaller connector w/two wires. The BAL-1 came only with a main connector.

I've noticed that the HD LED rear turn signals only come on for the brake & turn signal features. I thought they were supposed to be running lights too?

Is my set-up working properly or is there something wrong.....?

Thanks for any insight...

Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you need to use the smaller connectot with 2 wires. The 3rd wire goes in the middle of that connector as a running light.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Something isn't right I hve the exact same setup and when running all the lighst are on. If you installed a brake/run light module before you have to remove it, and if I remember there was an additional wire that got wired into the connector.

Running Lights

Brake Lights

Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the info...

I did not add a brake/run module as I knew that feature was part of the HD LED turn signals.

My BAL-1 light had only one connector and my stock HD light had two. I'll give BAL a call....

Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Thanks for the info...

I did not add a brake/run module as I knew that feature was part of the HD LED turn signals.

My BAL-1 light had only one connector and my stock HD light had two. I'll give BAL a call....
There is nothing you have to do to the Bal tail light, no resaon to call them and don't start playing with the wires. Yout turn signals are not wired properly or are defective anyway thats where the problem is. Unless something has changed with the bal tail light from 09 to 12 models and you have an older tail light not meant for your model.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:37 AM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same setup you do. I believe your problem is you dont have the running light connected. If I remember right the turns come with connector you have to insert into the connector housing. Double check your wireing. The BAL is not the problem. The HD led turn lights are not the problem.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

I found the problem and will post the fix for others with the HD LED turn signals and a BAL-1 light.

To recap- I installed a BAL-1 on a 2012 FLHTK that came from the dealer with the stock tail light, and HD LED turn signals. The stock tail light had two connectors and the BAL tail light had one connector. I installed the BAL light by just plugging in the larger, main wire connector. All the features of both sets of lights worked properly.. except... the turn signal LEDs didn't work in the running light mode.

I spoke with BAL, I wish I got the man's name, he was very helpful. He explained what has happened, and even though I didn't have the factory light in front of me, I understood what he was saying. He said he would talk me through the fix if I needed the help. Now that I can see what's been changed, it looks pretty simple.

When my dealer installed the Harley LED turn signals, they have to wire two additional wires into the tail light connector position #2. BAL seemed to know exactly what was wrong as soon as I mentioned I had their tail light AND HD turn signals.

The pic above shows the stock light wired for HD LEDs on the left and the BAL light on the right. I need to remove the two-wire pigtail from the stock connector, by removing it's connector pin from position #2, and then add that pin to the BAL-1 connector position #2. These wires control the running light feature of the HD LED tail lights. Once the pigtail is switched to the BAL-1 connector and is plugged in.... I'll have my LED turn signal running lights.

Thanks to all for your assistance.

Last edited by hattitude; 05-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:27 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Took less than two minutes to switch the pin from one connector to the other!

All lights working properly now!

Thanks to all for your assistance & suggestions...

Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i just sold my 08 streetglide to a great friend of mine just about a month ago, and on that 08 sg, i used the bal 1 taillight. i also used the harley turn/run/brake module with the bullet style red lenses for the rear. it did work properly, i.e. running=park light, turn signal, and brake light function. it was all plug and play. last night i bought a new fltru, aka roadglide ultra and i intend on lighting up the rear of the bike with the same system. anything that gets the attention of that 23 year old kid behind you who's busy texting is a good thing. i also programmed the bal taillight for the brightest in run mode, and the annoyingly bright constant flashing brake light function. it keeps people off your ***, and that's a good thing, isn't it? methinks so. ride safe, and always pay attention to your rear view mirrors. the life you save might be your own.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

not to hijack this but.... I also had a question with LED Signals .but I have the HD LED Brake light... IS this is a simple PLug and Play or is there a snip of wires in my future> all HD. Instructions call for a cut wire or two.. but I think they are referring to a Stock Brake light... just asking before I do something stupid

Quick Reply: BAL-1 tail light w/HD led turn signals