Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic 2009 and newer vs. Old frame?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For me, the frame used in the newer models (not to mention the motor, ABS, tank capacity ...) was a huge improvement over the old frame. It is such a solid, excellent performing platform. In my opinion, if you can afford it, it's well worth the extra money.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,591 Likes on 8,074 Posts

Wrecked my 99 EG last September and bought a 2010 Ultra with $2,500 of add ons with 7,500 miles on it for $17,500. I can tell you there is a big difference in those two bikes. I love the way the new bikes ride and perform. If you can swing it go for the 09 or later with security and ABS brakes. You will not be sorry.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2 Cents (and worth what you paid)

First while I love riding solo, I really enjoy riding with my girl. That made a difference in my decision -- she absolutely loved the difference between the newer frame ride and the older frame ride... small subtle things. She is very sharp when it comes to a 6th sense about small things with vehicles. I always take her when shopping for cars, trucks, etc. we each 'see' things the other doesn't... she walks away when it's time to deal -- I love that part the best and she can't take it. She's a great team mate.

I so like the '10 over the 07's we rode (touring models).
I'm with others and their recommendations regarding cash in hand and searching. We looked for nearly two years through parts of 3 states as we traveled; and are so pleased with what we have now for all the reasons others have stated.

Good luck. Lots of good advice on the forum with the experiences of others.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM
BiggsintheAZ
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight change in plan 2009 or later Road Glide

I rented the Ultra, 2012 fully loaded, cruise, 103ci, etc... and did a 200 mile trip with my wife.

She loved the ride, very comfortable, but we both hated the feeling of the wind on the Batwing. We went up through e mountains and the wind gusts were 30-40 at least and at 70+ it was a handful.

I rode it agin around town the next day, no wind, etc...

My impression was a great bike on the highway, maybe a little less than perfect in heavy wind? In town a little heavy, top heavy and suspension a little squishy. I know that can be adjusted.

I think I may go to the dark side and rent the Road Glide (not tour glide). I think I may like it a little better around town, and slap on the tour pack for a road trip. Less weight on the front forks, and a less top heavy for around town use?

But I will stick with the 2009 and later option though. I really liked the rental Ultra with the 103 w/ SE pipes. It had plenty of power for the weight of the bike. It felt as fast as my 2012 Fat Boy with propipe and SE AC and super tuner.

I appreciate

Old 05-14-2012, 01:31 PM
BiggsintheAZ
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...to finish my last comment, I appreciate the feedback here. Very helpful.

(darn iPad).

Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggsintheAZ
I rented the Ultra, 2012...
I think I may go to the dark side and rent the Road Glide.
The dark side is calling.... You need the Road Glide Ultra.
You can install the detachable kit to the Tour Pak.
This way you will have the rest of the Touring equipment.

But I bet you will change the windshield too.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The biggest difference in the "frame" isn't the frame so much as it is the motor mounts. There's nothing wrong with the frame in the 08 and older bikes, and in fact the welded rear section is preferable (as far as I'm concerned) when compared to the bolt on rear section on the new bikes.

In my opinion, '02 is still the benchmark year for the touring bikes, and if I was going to start over again, that's what I'd be looking for.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:25 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The new frames are OK but at a cost. They are heavier and taller. The '09 and up bikes ride like an old truck, just check out all of the suspension upgrade threads.
Also first gear is too high, they suck in traffic and low speed maneuvers.
I have both an '05 RG and '09 EGC, the RG is 95" with an SE 6 speed, the '09 is stock 96" stage 1 Cruise Drive 6.
I prefer the shorter stroke 95" engine, lower first gear and lower weight of the RG. 6th is an OD so final drive is the same, about 3000RPM @ 80 MPH. The RG has a Tru Track and as others have stated, it's not as stiff as the new frame but the bike rides so much better I prefer it.
The Brembos are not what the are cracked up to be. Yes, they provide lower effort braking by quite a bit but, you will be replacing rotors as they tend to warp every 10K miles. The older bikes stop in the same distance but with more effort.
So, look for the best deal you can find but don't lock your self into a particular year. just know what you are getting.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Thanks DC for an enlightening comparison. Most owners talk of the later bikes with rose-tinted specs!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If I didn't read this forum, I would think my 08 is the best riding bike you could ever find. And with the mods I've made the performance ain't bad either. (I am old and don't push it to it's limits......although I don't hold up traffic either!)

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic 2009 and newer vs. Old frame?