Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input wanted on pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 AM
punisher660
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input wanted on pulling a trailer

So I am thinking about building a trailer for my bike. I loke camping, but don't have room for the OL and camp gear.

For those that use a trailer, does it hurt handling and or performance? Obviously that can be determined by the trailer/load, but what is the general concensus with your setups.

What are some pros and cons to the trailer route. Just looking for some input on this -

Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I never pulled a trailer behind a bike. But.... I heard you should put in an extra 5 psi. in the rear tire, and you will go thru tires faster. Use about 1 gal. more gas per fillups and brake early cause you will feel it pushing you.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...&daysprune=100

Last edited by drukanfu; 05-22-2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: added link
Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I've pulled an inexpensive (leaf spring) trailer with a '92 Heritage, and an Escape (air suspension) trailer with my '95 Heritage and my 2000 Ultra Classic (to Alaska).
The better the trailer, the better they pull and the air shocks eliminates most of the bouncing.
My cousin has a "store bought" trailer frame (Sears perhaps) with a fiberglass shell mounted on it and he pulls it with an '82 Low Rider.
He says it's OK to about 60-65MPH but after that the trailer starts swaying.

Pulling a trailer you do feel a little push when stopping but the most noticeable feeling is during slow turns and of course pulling on inclines.
To me, it's not much difference than pulling a trailer with a truck or car and you must be careful on wet roads and use your gears to assist in getting the trailer slowed down or stopped safely.

A "swivel hitch" is must and a converter is needed to accomodate the wiring because of the two brake light switches.

Of most importance is the maintaining of tires and wheel bearings.
A blowout, or a seized wheel bearing can cause a loss of control of the bike.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:05 AM
fxlowboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at harbor freight i have the same trailer never had a problem run smooth at 70 mph
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-...ler-66771.html

Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Light weight is not necessarily a good thing. That makes it easier on your bike, but one with a little heft to it handles better. You want it stable, not bouncing or swaying all over the place. For example, larger wheels with a wide wheel base handles better, but they weigh more. There is a trade off and you have to find a happy medium, but if you have a good one it won't be any trouble to adapt too.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

stay away from leaf springs....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyCJtAnPNQc

Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 AM
hog.ryder
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I pulled a leaf spring, straight axle, 8" tire homemade cargo trailer with a standard 1 7/8 ball hitch, two up and fully loaded on quite a few trips.

Other than my fuel mileage dropping a few mpg and slight increase in braking distance I had no problems at all.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I have pulled a trailer for many miles. Granted it's behind my Goldwing but the concept is the same. Allow more time for everything - passing, accelerating, and braking. Myself I can't imagine traveling with the wife without it (I have an Aluma XL trailer which has torsion bar suspension). I know that alot of people swear that you must have a swivel hitch, but there is also the school of thought that if you happen to hit something, curb or road debris that the trailer can flip over. Myself I have the standard hitch setup and haven't had a single issue. I just make sure that the bearing and tires are maintained.

As far as adding air in the rear tire of the bike if you already have it at the maximum level do NOT add. The trailer loaded correctly should not add more then 20 lbs of weight on the rear. Over inflating could actually reduce your contact patch of the rear tire decreasing the braking. Also, do not overfill your trailer tires. You need to weigh your trailer to start the process. Most of your 480X8 tires hold approx 760 lbs at 40 PSI. So if you have 2 tires that is approximately 1520 lbs. You can safely reduce the pressure down to approx @ 25 psi and still have plenty of carrying capacity. This will also reduce some of the bouncing from the tires being rock hard and they become part of the suspension.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 AM
WAYJO
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Pull a trailer frame with a pod on it behind my Ultra Limited. It has 12" wheels with a pretty wide stance. Had it up to 80mph with no issues.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

I have pulled a trailer since 1998, no issues caused by the trailer.
Loading is the key along with a good trailer. I have a Bushtec Roadstar and it pulls very nice...

The larger tires really soak up the bumps and the suspension is second to none...expensive? A little but ya get what ya pay for, right?

Watch your tounge weight, no more than 10% of total weight, use a bathroom scale. Load the rest evenley and you should be good.

Yes, a trailer will push a little when stopping and pull a little when taking off, just like a trailer behind a truck...allow yourself more room and time.

I love having it with me on touring trips, I can carry what I may need instead of just what is necessary...alway pack a small bag of tools( used for others more than me) my Gerbings heated gear, extra helmet, jackets, chairs, etc.....nothing like having the room....plus the wives love the shopping space!

Could I tour without one? Sure....but why? I could drive a 750 Honda and a car without air, power windows, manual tranny, etc....but again why?

I really like mine, would not be without one....but that's just me....

Quick Reply: Input wanted on pulling a trailer