Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Duels vs. True Duels

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM
A Whole lotta Rosey
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Duels vs. True Duels

HD is pushing toward V&H Power Duels and riding buddies are pushing for True Duels... Any of you our there who have knowledge of each. What are the pros and cons of each?

'11 EG Ultra Limited, 103, V&H slip-ons (new headpipes will part of the upgrade next month along with AC and dyno tune).

Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there a lot of threads on this topic on here if you do a search. i just ordered the dresser true duals. i wanted a new head pipe and the power dual just looks goofy on the bike to me lol

Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

Funny you mention it......I just put on dresser duals two nights ago. I read about every thread I could on power duals vs. dresser duals. The meat of the information is that you lose a little low end torque when going to the dual system. The power duals are still a 2-1-2 system just like the factory from 09+. However, the power duals still provide better a little better performance compared to stock. Both dresser duals (true duals) and power duals give a little more horsepower on the mid to high range.

I made my decision based on the looks because at 160lbs the bike has plenty of power to get me of the start line. It sounds like the loss of low end sounded minimal according to the many threads. I will tell you that the duals I put on sound F'n great. I always wanted it a tad louder bud. Couldn't be happier right now.....we'll maybe if I had new rims. Now, I got to update that sig pic

Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

I had Rinehart True Duals on my 2011 103 Limited Ultra, for about 3 months, and couldn't wait to get rid of them. After Power Duals & V&H High Output slip-ons, I could feel a noticeable improvement in the "guts" that my bike had. PLUS, I got rid of that nasty cat heat.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
PassRusher75
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Power Duals for me, most power, sounds great, and I like the look.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:27 PM
ringer19
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love my power duals

Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I went Power Duals and if I were to do it again I would still do a 2-1-2 pipe but Power Duals would not be my first choice. Id buy either the Fuel Moto Jackpot 2-1-2 pipe or the Fulsac 2-1-2 pipe. IMO both are better made and use the stock heatshields so the look is stock and you dont loose right side lean angle like you do with the Power Duals.

The Power Duals work well, make good power and sound good but the collection chamber is sheet metal and it scrapes a little earlier on rt turns

Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
pritzent
Advanced

Originally Posted by A Whole lotta Rosey
HD is pushing toward V&H Power Duels and riding buddies are pushing for True Duels... Any of you our there who have knowledge of each. What are the pros and cons of each?
As I put true duals on my '08 U/C, I did learn several things, but the one word it comes down to is scavenging.

When you put on true duals, you lose the scavenging from the other piston. That's why you lose the lower end torque.

I love the sound of the true duals, but missing some of the lower end torque, I really didn't like. Especially when my normal shift point was around 3000 RPM. Riding 2 up was even worse.

However, when I put on the SE255 cams, I got that back (and then some!!).

If I had an '09 and up, I probably would go with the Power Duals with the X-crossover. An X-crossover worked well in my '07 Mustang . . .

Old 06-06-2012, 03:16 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

confirming that true duals are not optimal for torque.

IF the bike is lowered, the cover over the X pipe may hit hard, hard enough to loose traction, on rt hand turns.

at stock height it probably wouldn;t be a problem

2..) make sure the installer orients the clamp on the crossover so that the excess threaded rod doesn't dig into a speed bump and tear the exhaust off of the bike

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-06-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 528 Posts

Like everything else that was mentioned above, here's acouple more things to consider.

Those with Power Duals, may have problems with the header scraping or grinding on hard turns.
You may loose some hp & tq down low with the Dresser Duals.

I personnel had the V&H Dresser Duals when they first came out. (they were one of the first headers to come out w/ the new frame change in 09'.) Although they helped out quite a bit w/ the heat and also made the scooter sound more like a Harley instead of a 30K sewing machine.

I have since switched to Fulsac X-Pipe and Fulsac 2.25" CVO Preformance Baffles with stock 4" cans and COULDN'T BE MORE STOKED!!!

Something to think about. If I may suggest, do you homework, and make the right decision for YOU and change it once!

Good Luck and Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD

Quick Reply: Power Duels vs. True Duels