Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:32 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Although a first impression looking at this photo would lead you to believe the drain plug is leaking, it is nowhere near conclusive. The drain plug is simply the lowest point of the transmission and any leak will eventually find its way to the drain plug.

Clean the entire area, take it for a short ride, and then inspect. You need to find the actual origination point of the leak. Just seeing oil at the lowest point, i.e., the drain plug is really inconclusive.

I agree that the two lower side cover bolts at the exhaust bracket are the most likely culprit. I'm not saying that's the leak for certain, just that is a very common and likely area to leak.
Very common. Just had mine re-torqued this weekend when I noticed oil spots on the garage floor below the exhaust bracket. Dealer said the torque specs have changed on the two allen bolts and the oil pan bolts as well. Had them all done. Hope they put lock-tite on them.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kredin
You're right. I wasn't specific in my description. As near as I can tell it is coming from the drain bolt. No leaks from any other tranny areas.
If it's leaking from the drain bolt try using some Teflon tape on the threads. That should fix it. Don't use too much or leave anything hanging off the end that may get loose and end up in The tranny. Not that I think it will do any damage just that it's better safe than sorry