Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 06:44 AM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Tranny

Yea, I know. It's a Harley and it's going to leak. But I think this is different.

I've got a 2010 Road King. The service manual states to change all fluids at 20,000 miles. So I did.

Instead of using Castrol in all three holes, I used the HD Tranny fluid the dealer sold me and Castrol in the other 2 holes. The HD Tranny fluid is pink which is why I know that is the one that is leaking.

Drained it, cleaned the bolt, replaced the gasket on the bolt. Used a funnel when I filled it... no runs, drips or errors. Used a torque wrench and verified every step with my service manual (triple checked the torque settings). And the damn thing is still leaking. I'm 2500 miles into this oil change and my painted garage floor is pink every morning. The tranny dip stick is half-way between the "full" mark and the "add" mark. This just isn't right. Any ideas?

All comments accepted... Useful comments are appreciated.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:53 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

First step is find the location ..

Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much tranny oil did you put in, when you did the change. from what you said on were your marks are know on the stick. sounds to me your at the full mark now. you only need 1 quart.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:02 AM
havenolife
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A lot of the 10 n up leak the leak is at the muffler hanger on the trans mount cover pull all bolts one at a time put blue lock tite on them tork down two 25 ft ponds there is a problem with some bikes leaking harley raised the tork from 18-20 to 25 most will leak sooner than yours it is probley just the two bolts that hold the headpipe two the trans mine were only finger tite if that does not fix it then the trans has got to come out of the bike for a new casket

Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by kredin
Used a torque wrench and verified every step with my service manual (triple checked the torque settings). And the damn thing is still leaking. .
Where is the leak coming from?
Drain plug,shift shaft seal,crossover pipe hanger?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:58 AM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by havenolife
A lot of the 10 n up leak the leak is at the muffler hanger on the trans mount cover pull all bolts one at a time put blue lock tite on them tork down two 25 ft ponds there is a problem with some bikes leaking harley raised the tork from 18-20 to 25 most will leak sooner than yours it is probley just the two bolts that hold the headpipe two the trans mine were only finger tite if that does not fix it then the trans has got to come out of the bike for a new casket
That's true on the '09+ models. It happened to me the other day, although I feel the dealership who wrenched on my bike is to blame.

mikebaby

Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the O Ring on the drain plug?

Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
First step is find the location ..
You're right. I wasn't specific in my description. As near as I can tell it is coming from the drain bolt. No leaks from any other tranny areas.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
how much tranny oil did you put in, when you did the change. from what you said on were your marks are know on the stick. sounds to me your at the full mark now. you only need 1 quart.
I put the whole quart in. When I checked it (about an hour after my test ride) it registered all the way to "FULL". I know I'm losing fluid. My floor and the dip stick both confirm it. I just think I'm losing way to much.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by havenolife
09 and up......two Allen screws that bolt the exhaust hanger into the bottom two bolts going into the clutch case. Those two bolts loosen up and drip tranny fluid out. Check them.

Quick Reply: Leaking Tranny