Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 08:16 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,623 Likes on 12,011 Posts

Originally Posted by Tall Mike
yes, I noticed that..

I'll probably just safety wire it I have the tool and some wire left over from my motocross days..

Enjoy the weekend and ride safe !
Thanks! You too! We're changing it up and doing an ATV weekend. Usually we do a 3 day ride, but it's stormy and we figured somehow it's not as bad on an ATV. we'll see.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:30 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Fellow tall dudes, I am at a loss here..

I have to be missing something really simple here I just can't figure out what ?????

Tall Boy Cycles relocation brackets are on along with the Kury Floorboard relocation brackets..

Shift side is fine no issues at all, the floorboard sits perfectly level, and is rock solid..

Brake side is where the problems started..

1) When I bought my bike new the dealer had already installed a D and D full exhaust...I had to grind a bit of metal off on the middle portion of the rear TB bracket to get proper clearance around the exhaust..That was problem numero uno.

2) What I'm finding now is that the brake side floorboard angles downward it doesn't sit level, and of course it scrapes the ground in hard right turns..
First thing I thought was oh **** I ground too much off trying to make the TB bracket fit, but the section I ground down for clearance around the exhaust isn't the issue or doesn't appear to be..I can't figure out why only the brake side will fold down like that ?? It has to be something simple I am missing here...I've torn the damn thiing apart numerous times and can't figure out what is wrong ?????? I've studied the install instructions and pics over and over again...Its almost like I was sent the wrong brackets for the brake side they just don't seem right ?

Anybody else have issues using the TB and Kury brackets ??

I am missing out on some serious ride time this weekend..

Last edited by Tall Mike; 05-30-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2016, 09:59 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Which Kury brackets did you use? Some pics would help.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevada72
Which Kury brackets did you use? Some pics would help.
Thanks for stopping in brother..

I used these from RevZilla..

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...ring-1997-2016

Shift side is fine but brake side is jacked up....strange

No pics yet the bike is in my storage unit downtown I'll be headed that way in a little while.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:47 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for stopping in brother..

I used these from RevZilla..

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/k...ring-1997-2016

Shift side is fine but brake side is jacked up....strange

No pics yet the bike is in my storage unit downtown I'll be headed that way in a little while.
Happy to help. So the Kury brackets are the right ones - no issue there. Just wanted to isolate that out.

I have a couple of reference pics so you can see if the left side is the way you did yours.

This is the left side rearmost bracket. From Tall Boys it will have a very squared off piece of metal. As you can see, I shaved mine down because it would touch down when I cornered. But yours should be the one piece with that big squared off part. I believe it's also the only tubular part. The rest are bar stock.

Here it is from the top and without the Kury adapters. This is for shape reference. -

Here's the right side -

I'm curious about the interference with the D&D because I didn't have any issues with my D&D (different bike but same Tall Boys mounts and basically same frame). On my mine, the only mount aside from at the saddle bag support was below the transmission. The crack mechanical team at my old dealer forgot to use it altogether. Who knows - maybe on purpose. I bolted it down regardless of their reasoning, if any at all. But it wasn't anywhere near the Tall Boys brackets.

I can take other pics, but as I recall, they had stickers on left and right. I did have to loosely test fit the parts to make sure it was correct. I vaguely recall mixing two of them up. I don't recall the details, but my guess would be I mixed up the front and back, which threw the angles out of whack.

Other than that, I recall a couple guys had brackets that left the floorboards sagging. They sent them back and got new ones which were fine. So it sounds like there were a few bad brackets out there. Maybe that's what's going on.

Last edited by nevada72; 05-30-2016 at 10:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
Ryan David (06-06-2016), Tall Mike (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevada72
Happy to help. So the Kury brackets are the right ones - no issue there. Just wanted to isolate that out.

I'm curious about the interference with the D&D because I didn't have any issues with my D&D.

I have a couple of reference pics so you can see if the left side is the way you did yours.

This is the left side rearmost bracket. From Tall Boys it will have a very squared off piece of metal. As you can see, I shaved mine down because it would touch down when I cornered. But yours should be the one piece with that big squared off part. I believe it's also the only tubular part. The rest are bar stock.

Here it is from the top and without the Kury adapters. This is for shape reference. -

Here's the right side -

I can take other pics, but as I recall, they had stickers on left and right. I did have to loosely test fit the parts to make sure it was correct. I vaguely recall mixing two of them up. I don't recall the details, but my guess would be I mixed up the front and back, which threw the angles out of whack.

Other than that, I recall a couple guys had brackets that left the floorboards sagging. They sent them back and got new ones which were fine. So it sounds like there were a few bad brackets out there. Maybe that's what's going on.
Thanks for the pics everything looks good compared with yours....

I'm gonna pull the Kury stuff off first and see where that leaves me..

Then maybe I'll try the stock brackets in place of the Tall Boys, one by one I'll switch things around until I can get this sorted out..

I think its the Tall Boy brackets I really do..

Old 05-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior

meanwhile I'm losing another day of riding !!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:58 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

meanwhile I'm losing another day of riding !!
That does truly suck.

Just pull the whole sh*t off and put the old back on. Get in some riding and leave this for a rainy day.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:43 PM
Tall Mike
Road Warrior

The first thing I did was pull the Tall Boy brackets off the brake side (bad side) and put the stock HD's w/Kury relocation brackets back on.....That solved the problem it appears the rear brake side Tall Boy bracket is the culprit..

got a short ride in before the thunder storms hit..

I shall reach out to Tall Boy Cycles tomorrow to see what my options are..

Old 05-30-2016, 05:50 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

I shall reach out to Tall Boy Cycles tomorrow to see what my options are..
Their customer service is interesting. Send them an email tonight. In my experience, they respond pretty quickly to emails. I originally ordered the "chrome" set (for my 11 Ultra) which were really just powder coated bright silver. I expressed my dissatisfaction by email and voicemail. I never heard from them - I just received a new set of black to replace the silver ones. I called and emailed my thanks and asked where they wanted me to send the silver ones. Nothing. I sent two more emails and left another voicemail. Nothing. So I ended up with a free set. No complaints from me and I'll recommend them all day long, so mission accomplished I would imagine.

Point is - I'm certain they will simply send you a whole new set.

Quick Reply: THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)