Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front brake rubbing after chrome lower install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 321 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Front brake rubbing after chrome lower install

The front wheel turns pretty freely until I put the calipers on, while up on the jack it spins 2 or 3 times. Once I put the calipers on just makes it one time around. Seems like the right hand side if effecting it more.

I did put on chrome spacers as well. Let me know what the problem may be or is it normal?

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2013, 02:10 AM
CPT America
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a couple of things. Did you compress the pistons of each caliper completely before you reinstalled them? If not, pop the calipers back off, compress the pistons in the calipers to open up the space between the pads, reinstall, pump the brakes a couple of time to seat the pads and check it again. The other issue may be that since chroming your lowers adds material, your calipers may not be in the exact same position it was prior to the swap causing the outside pad to drag on the rotor. As a general rule you probably don't have too much to worry about because as you ride the outer pad will wear enough to create space that will allow your wheel to spin more freely. When I swapped out the lowers on mine to powder coated ones I took a dremel and ground off the powder coating on the caliper mounting points to ensure my calipers sat in the same position as before. Even doing that I had a tiny amount of drag after I swapped out to a 2012 RG front wheel, but after a few miles the pad wore enough to create the space needed to allow the wheel to spin freely. What you need to be careful of is if it drags so much that it causes your bike to pull while riding. If I had to guess I would say its probably a combination of the increased thickness of the caliper mounting points more so than something to do with the spacers.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:55 PM
workingman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a pain

Just for your info:
Installed new chrome lowers ,purchased from chrome ranch on eBay. They looked great.AAA. Went to install on 2013 road king, Could not get axle through left lower. No way possible. Part # was good, should work. Had to dermal out chrome so it would fit. OK it worked. :icon:Next installed calipers. Problem! Brake pads rubbing a lot can only get 3/4 to 1 spin out of tire. Checked everything. Forgot to mention new rim RC Components and new rotors RC Components. So I'm checking everything!!Using mics and feeler gauges. Could not figure out why... Finally figured it out. The chrome on caliper mounting surface was not flat ,micrometer proved it. Had to take dermal with smallest sanding wheel and take off chrome on caliper mounting surface. Put it all back together. WOW What a difference. Now wheel spins nice, like about 3 times depending on hard you spin it. Pads are same as I had on with other wheel. They looked good no oddball where. So to conclude. I spent a ton of time trying to figure this out. Cant imagine if you had to pay for someone's time!I don't know if this is normal.If so maybe this info will save some one a lot of time...Good Luck.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:59 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

The work you had to do is why you have to pay more for the OEM part from MOCO.No grinding neccessary

Old 12-13-2015, 12:38 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by CPT America
. What you need to be careful of is if it drags so much that it causes your bike to pull while riding.
with only one front wheel, you aren't going to get any pull from brake drag. one side of the wheel does not spin any faster than the other side....

increased wear, heat, yeah, those could be a problem, but not pulling.