Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Road King won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Rubenroadking
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Road King won't start

I have a 1997 Road King that won't start. The battery is good and turns themotor over. There is spark but there doesn't seem to be fuel flowing. When Iturn the ignition on I do not hear the fuel pump. I replaced the fuel withfresh fuel this morning. I don't hear anything at all. I thought about checkingout the fuel pump but I have no idea how to remove it. I removed the fuel gaugebut it only pulls out about an inch (pic attached). Not enough to really do much. I can't evencut the wires, not that I would do it. I removed the air filter and sprayedsome engine starter. It ran for about 3seconds. When I gave it some gas, I did not see any fuel entering. I also removed the fuel line at the petcockand I expected to see fuel but I didn’t see any. I am getting a repair manual on Tuesday. Anyideas?

Attached Thumbnails 1997 Road King won't start-fuel-gauge.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it has a petcock I'm assuming its carbed? If so there may be a vacuum switch that turns the fuel off when the engine is not running.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Petcock and no fuel pump sound? Kinda sounds like somebody doesn't know if it is carbed or EFI...

Did you hear the fuel pump before this problem? If so, start at the fuel pump fuse. Check fuel pump wire connection under the tank.

Or, maybe it wasn't a pet **** at all. It could have been a wild one! J/K!

Need to know what we are dealing with here, before the guessing gets really out of hand.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Rubenroadking
Stage IV

Yes, I am new to this so I am learning. I am calling the valve on the left side which turns the fuel flow on - off - reserve a petcock. That might not be the right term. As for hearing the fuel pump in the past, I actually don't recall. I usually just started the bike up and never really noticed, ...so I might not have a fuel pump. Sorry for the misinformation. I checked the fuse box for a fuel pump fuse and there was none, so I must not have a fuel pump.

Last edited by Rubenroadking; 04-10-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member

If you have a petcock, and no fuel pump fuse, then you probably don't have a fuel pump...

And the bike has a carburetor. Look at the petcock, there should be a vacuum line running to the intake manifold. Check the line for any cracks/leaks. Sometimes the diaphragm inside the petcock will go bad. I've even seen/heard of the brass nipple in the intake manifold being cracked at the point where it is pressed into the manifold...

Some place, there is a reason why the fuel is not flowing. Just gotta find where that is, and what caused it. Physical inspection is the only way to do that. Start with the obvious, or easy to access parts first...

The valve filter can possibly be plugged from debris inside the tank also, like peeling tank liner or rust flakes. You can remove the valve, or petcock, to inspect the filter. Just be prepared to catch any fuel left in the tank. Hoses can crack on the inside from age, and a 'flap' of the inner rubber lining can fold over and block passage. The carb float needle can become stuck, or the float can become 'waterlogged' with gas or fill with gas if the float has developed a leak. Many possibilities...

I meant no disrespect about not knowing, we all had to learn...

Last edited by Def Mute; 04-10-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 AM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the line off the petcock. Then place a rag under the vale outlet and slowly turn it to run or reserve and see if any fuel comes out.

If not, continue to follow that line and see where the problem is. May be a sticky float

Mike

Old 04-10-2013, 09:58 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MIKE93SVT
Pull the line off the petcock. Then place a rag under the vale outlet and slowly turn it to run or reserve and see if any fuel comes out.

If not, continue to follow that line and see where the problem is. May be a sticky float

Mike
Just sayin...

If he pulls the line off of the petcock, and then gets no fuel from the petcock, that would indicate a problem before the line you said to pull. Like the petcock filter, or valve diaphragm. Unless of course, if there is no fuel in the tank...

Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Rubenroadking
Stage IV

I removed the fuel line from the petcock, going to the carb, and nothing flowed in resever or on setting. I will work my way back up towards the fuel tank. ...glad to know it's not my fuel pump!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Just sayin...

If he pulls the line off of the petcock, and then gets no fuel from the petcock, that would indicate a problem before the line you said to pull. Like the petcock filter, or valve diaphragm. Unless of course, if there is no fuel in the tank...

was typing on my phone earlier not paying attention at work. should have said "if that's not the problem" then follow the line to the carb.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Strongly suggest that if the owner doesn't know if it is carb or EFI- he pay someone who does know.

that would reduce the costs of replacing busted fuel gauges and cut wires etc.

these bikes are easy to fiddle with IF the fiddler knows what they are doing--- and easy to screw up if the fiddler doesn;t...leading to higher eventual repair costs.

just pulling the spark plug wire and running the motor to "check for spark" can blow the ignition system ( $$$) if not done properly.

mike

Quick Reply: 1997 Road King won't start