Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Tappets

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:50 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

When i first got my dyna few years back i was used to mx 4 stroke bikes which dont make anywhere near the noise of a air cooled Harley. Now im used to it and like some folks r sayin on here, u are sitting on an engine that normaly makes lots of noise since the early 1900,s. So im just riding my 13 Ultra, which as 700 miles on it and was noisy from day one. Change oil on time and if something happens then so b it. Ya cant enjoy the bike if every time u go out, you are fixated on that Harley engine chatter.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:50 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
No Noise here. Try Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer treatment. My Indy told me about it and I have used it ever since with great results. Quiets a motor to a reasonable level.

I mention this over and over, sometimes a couple of times as this thread comes back up and many haven't really read all the way through it to read my earlier posts.

For the $12 cost you would use about 1/2 to 3/4 of the bottle. Often you can add it without having to drain off oil depending on how full your oil reserve measures to be.

Or change your oil to the recommended weight for the temps you ride in. A 20W50 is a very mediocre viscosity range. Summer riding in heat you need to run straight 50 or 60 weight ... look at your manual. I'm not making this up.

found this at the Lucas oil site - page 6-7 shows part # 10130

http://content.yudu.com/A1o9d0/PitSt...FCycleDivision

Old 07-05-2013, 03:08 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I hear the bible thumpers knocking on doors again!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 00flstf
Hi!

My Fatboy with stage 1 shure does tick when warm, it is silent at idle but what I call noise-ish at medium high revs. Came across a video on the tube which pretty much has the exact same valve noise as my bike; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V5gX...aqt0SROh1g36nT

Anyone think this sounds normal? I come from metric bikes for 19 years, so I am trying to get used to the Harley.

Oil is Pennzoil 20w50 - usually in the 45-55 degrees temp around here on average.
I hear the noise on the video, sounds like mine, but I think mine is no problem. Like many others said these are V twin air cooled motors between our legs. I was a bit surprised that I could hear the valve train noise when I got my Limited last year. I just figured there would be no valve train noise, but it is much quieter than my Sporster was. Now that was louder, but the motor was also built up. As far as our 103's go if I start to hear clunks, or knocking sounds or nasty metal to metal sounds, then I'll be concerned.
Today I rode 100 miles, 2 up in the lower 90's. Motor sounded just the same as it does in the cold. Not that it matters but I use Amsoil 20-50.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:34 PM
dulley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
found this at the Lucas oil site - page 6-7 shows part # 10130

http://content.yudu.com/A1o9d0/PitSt...FCycleDivision
I agree ,I have a 2011 with the 103 and it was making a lot of tapping ,well I deciced to try lucas ,so I drain a half of qt. out then put in the lucas I say I lost atleast half my noise ,going on a 100 mile trip Saturday ,then I,ll know for sure

Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Red Eye
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got tired ears with the Screamin Eagle II pipes on my 06 Softail, so put on a used set of 07 stock pipes and mufflers.

Better sound for me and wife, but....

Valve clatter is ugly loud now that I can hear the engine.

I, too, will try some Lucas or STP oil thickener for sure.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I always put Lucas oil treatment in my bikes when I change the oil. I have no empirical evidence it actually does anything, but my ears say that it does. Every bike from my Shovels to this brand new 103 Twinkie I just bought, ran quieter after I added Lucas, and or a mixture of Lucas and STP engine treatment. Not sure even why I do it, but I am always falling for the hype. I always add concoctions or oil treatments to my engines and trannys, and I have always had good luck with them. I probably will continue to do so, but as long as they help...... its only money.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I had to choose between Lucas and stp the choice would be easy. Stp at least has some additives in it. Lucas has none. Not a huge fan of either, but ymmv...

Old 07-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have been using my cell phone to record the tapping, must have had 7 or 8 different recordings. Service manager scheduled me in for replacement of the lifters next week, lucky me, all on their dime. Finally ....FT

Old 07-19-2013, 11:29 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Be sure and post back if you notice any difference. On my 103 I may get a tap or two right when I start it in the morning, but otherwise pretty quiet.

Quick Reply: Noisy Tappets