Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy Tappets

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
Lucas is a viscosity builder with zero, yes zero additive package. It's primary component is soap. All it serves to do is thicken your oil and dilute your present additive package in your current oil. I've used it before, but not since I was enlightened.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Lucas is a viscosity builder with zero, yes zero additive package. It's primary component is soap. All it serves to do is thicken your oil and dilute your present additive package in your current oil. I've used it before, but not since I was enlightened.

What?

No....... It's 100% petrolium. Who "enlightened" you? Slap them, because they're wrong

Here's the MSDS

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/media...01-3-26-12.pdf

Here's the TDS

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/media...abilzr_1_2.pdf

Old 06-17-2013, 12:40 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
What?

No....... It's 100% petrolium. Who "enlightened" you? Slap them, because they're wrong

Here's the MSDS

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/media...01-3-26-12.pdf

Here's the TDS

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/media...abilzr_1_2.pdf
What do you think 'olefin copolymer' might be?

Put Lucas in a blender at low speed (much like the inside of an engine) and you get suds!

You use it if you like. I'll pass....

Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

What do you think 'olefin copolymer' might be?

Put Lucas in a blender at low speed (much like the inside of an engine) and you get suds!

You use it if you like. I'll pass....
It's a petroleum by-product.... it's not soap. Read this http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrochemical

Seriously.... dude... did you try that? ..... BTW most fossil oils also foam up, unless they have anti-foaming additives. Pennzoil looks like freshly poured root beer it foams up so much.

Last edited by shooter5074; 06-17-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most soaps are petroleum based to a certain extent. The point the poster was trying to make is Lucas really doesn't do anything except increase viscosity just like a soapy substance would do.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:33 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Well, if he's saying Lucas oil stabilizer worked on his valve train noise then either try it or move on with it....I for one have a qt sitting on my shelf with my next oil change and going to find out for myself.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:48 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Well, if he's saying Lucas oil stabilizer worked on his valve train noise then either try it or move on with it....I for one have a qt sitting on my shelf with my next oil change and going to find out for myself.
In not trying to proliferate an argument, but viscosity is like anything else, you can get too much. My biggest concern is its total lack of an additive package. With the already decreased levels of zddp in oils these days, I don't wish to dilute my additive package any further.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,522 Posts

Originally Posted by P51Driver
So where are you located as I am a newer Harley owner and I would like your opinion whether my bike is noisier than what it should be. You see this is the issue, as there is no standard way of quantifying what is excessive noise or not. Personally I think my bike is excessively noisy especially at 2700 to 2900 rpm but the dealer said they can't even hear the noise. This is discouraging as most people say just ride it till something breaks, but this is not acceptable for two reasons.
1. I don't like using machinery with an issue until it breaks I believe in preventative maintenance.
2. I want to take a cross country trip and with my bike but in it's present mechanical condition I don't feel confident with it's current mechanical state.

This bike has only 5000 miles on it and I find it's current mechanical state as unacceptable. Oh the dealer did offer me a fix for the noise, they offered to sell me a set of headpipes, mufflers, airbox and tune to mask the noise.
And I still believe I would still hear the ticking even with a louder exhaust.
What a racket Harley and these dealers are running.
I have been off the grid for a while but wanted to respond.

First, I live in San Antonio, Texas but, from what you have said, my opinion of whether your valve train is noisy or not is subjective so it doesn't matter. We could listen to your "new" bike and compare it to both of my "old" bikes; that might tell you something.

Bottom line is the motor is an air cooled 45*, pushrod/rocker arm, vtwin. There is metal to metal contact at, oh let's count them, cam lobe to lifter, lifter to pushrod, pushrod to rocker arm, rocker arm to valve stem and valve to valve seat; five metal to metal contact points. How in the heck can you expect that configuration to run quietly??

Don't expect the dealer to solve the problem. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of chasing valve train noise, you will have to do it on your own. There are plenty of guys on this forum and others that can tell you where to look. In your situation, I would try two things:

1. Run a straight weight oil, say 50W or 60W.
2. If that doesn't help, consider changing the lifters; the lifters in the later models have been made in Mexico since the 2010 model year and there have been issue with the rollers. A set of CompCams VThunder lifters would run about $60, plus gaskets and a couple of hours to make the change.

Lastly I would say that if you don't have the confidence to take a cross country trip on that bike, get rid of it and get yourself a Honda; they are quiet and never have any problems.

Last edited by djl; 06-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:31 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I have been off the grid for a while but wanted to respond.

...Bottom line is the motor is an air cooled 45*, pushrod/rocker arm, vtwin. There is metal to metal contact at, oh let's count them, cam lobe to lifter, lifter to pushrod, pushrod to rocker arm, rocker arm to valve stem and valve to valve seat; five metal to metal contact points. How in the heck can you expect that configuration to run quietly??

Don't expect the dealer to solve the problem. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of chasing valve train noise, you will have to do it on your own. There are plenty of guys on this forum and others that can tell you where to look. In your situation, I would try two things:

1. Run a straight weight oil, say 50W or 60W.
2. If that doesn't help, consider changing the lifters; the lifters in the later models have been made in Mexico since the 2010 model year and there have been issue with the rollers. A set of CompCams VThunder lifters would run about $60, plus gaskets and a couple of hours to make the change.

Lastly I would say that if you don't have the confidence to take a cross country trip on that bike, get rid of it and get yourself a Honda; they are quiet and never have any problems.
Well said!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,505 Likes on 3,334 Posts

CUt your stock rods and put adjustables in there...change to better lifters...They all tick a little, it depends how much you listen to it or how loud the radio is....

Quick Reply: Noisy Tappets