Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LED Motolights Causing FM Radio Static. Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:36 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New LED Motolights Causing FM Radio Static. Any Suggestions?

2011 FLHX. Just put on LED Motolights, which are activated through the Accessory switch on the dash.

When the Motolight LED's get turned on, I immediately get FM radio static. This happens when using either the stock HD antenna, an under-the-fairing hidden antenna, or both.

I tried moving the Motolight wiring harness and antenna cables to different areas under the fairing, but no luck.

I'm almost afraid to put my HD LED Daymaker on tomorrow.

Is this to be expected when using LED's?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2013, 07:01 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
2011 FLHX. Just put on LED Motolights, which are activated through the Accessory switch on the dash.

When the Motolight LED's get turned on, I immediately get FM radio static. This happens when using either the stock HD antenna, an under-the-fairing hidden antenna, or both.

I tried moving the Motolight wiring harness and antenna cables to different areas under the fairing, but no luck.

I'm almost afraid to put my HD LED Daymaker on tomorrow.

Is this to be expected when using LED's?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Yep, I got it the minute I installed my TL Phase 7.....Some guys say they don't get the interference but that's hard to believe....our bikes electrical systems are all the same...Invest in a satellite radio and you will not get the interference....Oh, guys have tried adding filters, etc but nothing seems to work....

Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM
ironman2011
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the TL ph7 and did not have the issue. I added the Kury LED driving lights and the problem started. I ended up removing my HD Boom audio hidden antenna. Problem solved. I then mounted my HD shorty antenna inside the fairing and still have no issues. Your moto lights might be more powerful than my Kurys, which may be the problem. I can't give you any further info, just what I experienced.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Elqueso2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem when I put on my LED running lights
Here is my post:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ng-lights.html

It's RF noise and you won't get rid of it. See the Post. I found an alternative LED light I will be testing in a few days and will report back. Half the price of the Moto's and twice the lumens