Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OH and WV handlebar height law question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Nilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OH and WV handlebar height law question

So I'll be traveling through OH and staying in WV on a trip in a couple weeks. I was checking the local laws and found that both those states state that handlebars cannot be more than 15" above the seat. Holy cow, that's gotta be barely more rise than stock. I have 16" apes on my RK, so obviously this is a problem.

There's no way I'm gonna swap back to the stockers for this one trip, so.... Anyone know how strictly this law is enforced, and what the fine is if it is?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

Saw this dude in Morgantown WV at Mountainfest. I don't think you should have any issues.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Buddy got a ticket for his 20" apes on a Heritage and for his novelty helmet while setting in traffic in Beckley, WV. Rumor has it that novelty helmets will be a target of enforcement this summer. Lots of apes on the road around here and no problems. Wonder if his helmet got things started and the bars were just an add-on.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 PM
tader
Intermediate

i live in ohio and never heard of anyone getting bothered for handlebar height.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i road a 72 flh with 18" apes for two years.. never heard of anyone being hassled on a bike at all here.. except the time i was pulled over for riding in 50deg weather, because it was "too cold to be on a motorcycle", and once in a state park because the power ranger said it sounded like i was going too fast. he told me he knows because he rides a 250.. that was just because i was young then..

Old 07-12-2013, 11:16 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing your 1" over will make you less obvious and less of a priority than someone with 18" bars. Do you have an another seat that might take up some of that extra inch? I believe they measure from the seat height.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I asked a county cop here what the limit on handlebars was. He said " I don't know".

That was pretty much all I needed to know, at least as long as I'm in this county.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:12 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Going to Mountainfest on the 24TH. Any of you from WV that can verify the cops clamping down on novelty helmets?

Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 AM
StreetBob08
Road Captain

I wouldn't worry about it. As an LEO I wouldn't pull over an out of state vehicle for the purpose of enforcing my states vehicle inspection code.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

"In West Virginia, all motorcycle operators and passengers must wear a helmet that is securely fastened to the head by either a neck or chin strap. The helmet must be designed to deflect blows and resist penetration and spread impact forces. The law requires helmets to meet current performance specifications established by federal law, the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard Z 90.1 or Snell Safety Standards (Snell) for Protective Headgear for Vehicle Users."

WV has always had the most strict helmet laws in the tri-state area I usually ride. No one around here crosses the Huntington Bridge without one.

Quick Reply: OH and WV handlebar height law question