Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner / Lots of Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:22 PM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner / Lots of Questions

My old man just bought a 2013 Ultra Classic. I don't know anything about touring bikes and my dad isn't very internet savy so here I am to help out... Money is tight so the cheapest bang for the buck would be great.

He wants to raise his bars 2" inches? What's the easiest/cheapest to do this?

He says its running really hot... Any way to improve this?

Is there an inexpensive way to get a gear indicator? Harley sells one for $275 but GD that's high... any way around this?

He wants an inexpensive (aka non Harley brand) chrome trunk rail

Has anyone hooked up a CB to their classic?

He also wants to get a quick disconnect for his upper trunk...I've seen sissy bar set ups like this (I have one) but i'm not sure how it would work for the upper trunk.

Recommended lowering kit?

I apologize for all the questions. I needed to get them all out there so i'm not spending hours on end researching for answers. Any help is appreciated!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, congrats to your father. You will find all of the answers you could ever want on this forum. In regards to the heat, one of the first things most people do is change out the exhaust, for sound and heat. The headers have cats that cause the heat and along with the stock pipes keep the moco within specs when it comes to emissions. Tons of opinions on what pipes to switch to. I for one went to Vance and Hines power duals headers and Rineharts 4 inch slip ons. Good luck making the bike your own. Will be a blast

Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 PM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Money is tight and he bought a 2013 Ultra ? Wish I had that money problem. The Ultra comes with a CB, didn't yours? It should have come with a trunk rail also.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Researching is your best friend. Do it and then research some more. You will get lots of good info on this forum as brandss said above but don't believe it till you research it for yourself. I'm not saying that anyone would give you bad advice but researching that info is just part of the process. You'll spend way less money if you do your homework instead of just taking someone's advice.

Congrats to your dad and have fun with it.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 PM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer

I honestly don't have the time to search for hours for everything he needs/wants and he is only in town visiting me for 1 month...yes, money is tight. the stealership offered him a crazy trade in deal so he jumped on it, with my help.

As for the bike, its a plain ultra classic. only came with a radio. thanks again for all the help, insight, advice.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:59 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior

To do it right, nothing is cheap. If you try the cheap way it will end up costing more. Have your dad put some miles on it first. Then make a decision on where you really want to start

Old 07-30-2013, 11:07 PM
madhunter60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

as for the heat issue you need to remove the cat. from the bike one way or the other
raising the bars/ lowering the bike, might try a reduced reach seat, some harley shops have demo seats to try. My Ultra came with the CB hooked up, as for quick disconnect and trunk rail surf the net several choices out there. good luck and congrats on the new bike.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Congrats to Dad, just got one myself. First thing to understand , there is nothing cheap about owning a Harley, HD stands for hundered dollars!
And why throw cheap parts on a 24000 motorcycle, save up and get the good stuff...cheap parts just rust in short order...

He wants to raise his bars 2" inches? What's the easiest/cheapest to do this?

No cheap way to do this, a new set of bars is the only way to do it right. Most just need a new clutch cable, 4 extra inches...several out there, best to go to a bike night and look at others.

He says its running really hot... Any way to improve this?

Harley's are set very lean from the factory, this is so they are in line with the EPA. New exhaust, mufflers, air filter and a good tuner will improve preform acne and the heat issues.

Is there an inexpensive way to get a gear indicator? Harley sells one for $275 but GD that's high... any way around this?

None that I know of. He get use to what gear he's in..I wouldn't waist money one one..

He wants an inexpensive (aka non Harley brand) chrome trunk rail

I'm assuming you mean a luggage rack for the trunk, again no cheap parts,get a HD one.

Has anyone hooked up a CB to their classic?

If he has a Ultra Classic, then it comes with a CB from the factory, if he has a Classic, HD only will work with the factory radio, he can watch the forum for a used one, still need the non-ultra overlay harness, antenna, new left handle bar switch housing and wiring and headsets or hand mic.

He also wants to get a quick disconnect for his upper trunk...I've seen sissy bar set ups like this (I have one) but i'm not sure how it would work for the upper trunk.

He will need a four point docking hard wear, two up tourpac mount and disconnect harness.

Recommended lowering kit?

Harley has one, but the ride will suffer. Anytime you lower a bike, car, truck the ride suffers unless you go with very expensive setup. Air suspension...

I apologize for all the questions. I needed to get them all out there so i'm not spending hours on end researching for answers. Any help is appreciated!

Only way to learn is ask questions. Best advice is use the search function at the top of the page...

Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Plane ultra? Sounds like he has a Classic....if so, no CB from factory, no rear speakers, no intercom, no trunk tail/brake lights....

Before anyone can help, need to know what model he really has...

Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 PM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer

Thanks again for the quick responses. I'm sorry if I didn't clarify...I ride a softail and have done everything to it myself, just never worked on a touring bike. I know there is nothing cheap with Harley BUT there are cheaper alternatives. As far as model, again, I don't know anything bout touring bikes and thought he had an ultra classic. He must have a classic, my mistake.

Heat issue - I'll start trying to find an exhaust, stage 1 filter, etc.

CB - still confused on hook up & where/how to install

Lowering - my bike is slammed so I understand ride ability. he's just looking to lower it a little & keep the smooth ride

Trunk lid / quick disconnect - ill try to find

2" raise to bars - if tthis was a softail I would say a "cheaper" way is risers, not just bars. is this an option?

Again, sorry for not clarifying and thinking harley touring guys would understand what cheaper means. I thought posting here would get quick/simple response. Sorry I asked and ill use the search button. sorry I put you out.

To those that did answer, I greatly appreciate it!

Quick Reply: New owner / Lots of Questions