Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

IMHO - At the VERY LEAST, a loaner bike should have been provided by now.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Hope its not common because according to HD this new system is tested for 100K miles running in 110 degrees AZ weather or least that's what they saying.I wonder if it's safe to run these bikes in case total loss of coolant.
did they test bikes that were prepped by the most(only) qualified persons in the world?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:13 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is one place I wont blame the dealer---------when I was getting my hosing the week of sturgis that dealer was in charge of putting the show bikes together for the dealer show.What they got from the moco is vague to say the least and that was the manuals they were provided.This is just another rushed poorly designed setup if you ask me

Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
flhxmc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP,

My dealer told me that MoCo informed them if anything were to go wrong with the cooling system they were to remove it from the bike and send it to them. Do you know if they even contacted MoCo? I would be making some calls myself, if I had not been arrested already.

Mike

Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

For what its worth...the tech at the local HD had this problem only once. What he dose now when prepping the bike is the following.

He actually showed me. He turns the ignition on and rolls the throttle about 3/4 turn. This starts the fan and pump going. He removes the cap. He said he will do this 5 or 6 times. Hasn't had any problems with about 14 setups/sales so far.

Hope this helps but it sounds like you have something else going on. Good Luck.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:46 PM
lonerider2
Cruiser

I just read a post over on the HTT, Harley tech talk forum, from a member there that is a salesman at a MN dealer, he posted that they had a 2014 dump the coolant and Harley had them remove all the parts involved with cooling from what I read everything other than the heads and the dealership was over nighted a complete assembly and that bike is back on the road with out all this hassle the OP is getting from his dealer!!

Last edited by lonerider2; 09-12-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by lonerider2
I just read a post over on the HTT, Harley tech talk forum, from a member there that is a salesman at a MN dealer, he posted that they had a 2014 dump the coolant and Harley had them remove all the parts involved with cooling from what I read everything other than the heads and the dealership was over nighted a complete assembly and that bike is back on the road with out all this hassle the OP is getting from his dealer!!
Yep, I have heard the same thing, but either the OP is not aware of this, isn't communicating this to the dealer, or the dealer is totally incompetent. I'll vote for the latter...

Maybe they didn't get the memo.

Last edited by VDeuce; 09-12-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:11 PM
PA1195
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1834
For what its worth...the tech at the local HD had this problem only once. What he dose now when prepping the bike is the following.

He actually showed me. He turns the ignition on and rolls the throttle about 3/4 turn. This starts the fan and pump going. He removes the cap. He said he will do this 5 or 6 times. Hasn't had any problems with about 14 setups/sales so far.

Hope this helps but it sounds like you have something else going on. Good Luck.
This info is available via HD's tech brief on the 2014 models. That's available to dealers and employees, plus on some HD tech forums. Their servicing techs would have had to review similar info to get 2014 certified by now. Maybe it's still news to the OP's dealer and staff if they never did the procedure. I assumed they had in my earlier comments.

Last edited by PA1195; 09-12-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:15 PM
flhxmc
Tourer

Originally Posted by lonerider2
This is the exact same thing that my local dealer said.

Mike

Old 09-12-2013, 02:18 PM
VDeuce
Road Warrior
Received 403 Likes on 257 Posts
Default OP: Please Read This

OP - Please Read This

This is coming from a guy that works at a dealer that has experienced this problem and HD sent a new cooling system overnight to the dealer.

"... Anyway, i wonder if the bike that lost all of its water was the one we had in our shop last week,, 142 miles and dumped all the water,, HD sent out a new system, from lines to radiators to the pump and thermostate,, over night air,, our service manager seems to think that all that was wrong we a bad thermostate,,"

Last edited by VDeuce; 09-12-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..