Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:42 AM
PopsHD
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by biker01red
I completely agree!!! Mine has just over 700 miles on it, rode into the garage after a 225 mile ride, turned off the ignition, belched anti freeze all over my garage floor , completely emptied the retention tank, all came from the overflow tube.. Took it back to the Dealer, he refilled the tank, if it happens again, bring it back. We should not have to put up with this crap on a $29,000 motorcycle!!!!!!!!
Mine did it for a second time yesterday. Took it back to the dealer. They spent the better part of an hour on the phone with Harley tech. They then tested the pressure the cap was holding. It would only hold 16 psi. It needs to hold 18-20 psi per Harley specs. They replaced the cap, tested the pressure again and it was holding 20 psi. It seems some of the caps are faulty. I'll keep you posted if this corrects the problem.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:35 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
Am I The First One? Do I Win A Prize?

My bike had 80 miles on it this morning when I left the house and even though I had to take it easy because Im still breaking it in I LOVED every minute of my 250 mile ride today! That is until I pulled in my garage and it dumped all of its coolant on the floor.

I stopped a few times during the day without any problems. I took the cover off and crawled around but I can see anything wrong. Maybe you guys can in the photos? It dumped all of it in about 10 seconds so it was a big sudden leak not a slow one.
mine did the same thing except I stopped to open the garage door then i rolled through the puddle of coolant with my back tire. it was pretty eye opening when the back tire started to loose traction. just imagine if this happened in the twisties

Old 09-17-2013, 05:08 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
Am I The First One? Do I Win A Prize?

My bike had 80 miles on it this morning when I left the house and even though I had to take it easy because Im still breaking it in I LOVED every minute of my 250 mile ride today! That is until I pulled in my garage and it dumped all of its coolant on the floor.

I stopped a few times during the day without any problems. I took the cover off and crawled around but I can see anything wrong. Maybe you guys can in the photos? It dumped all of it in about 10 seconds so it was a big sudden leak not a slow one.
With such small water passages around the exhaust ports and very little coolant in this system I would think the water pump and fans would have to run after bike is shut down till head temp in below boiling point. not sure how this would affect battery life. exhaust port temp could be hundreds of degrees above boiling after shut down.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat soak after shutdown could definitely drive the temp way up but that's expected. The only way to prevent boiling the coolant is to keep it pressurized and a faulty cap (akin to a pressure leak) negates that - it boils!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:30 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe, Harley techs needs to consult Kawasaki people, as the twin cooled feature has been used in Kawa bike for a while now.
I will stay with my air cooled bike for now.
Just saying!

Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Assegai
The only way to prevent boiling the coolant is to keep it pressurized and a faulty cap (akin to a pressure leak) negates that - it boils!
Or develop another fluid

Old 09-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,647 Likes on 3,884 Posts

Originally Posted by Expat1
Or develop another fluid
You can be assured the tin men are pouring that in the fancy bottles right now. $99.99 plus only $20 shipping and handling.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts
Default MOCO actually buys back a bike

The original poster has now reported that the MOCO has completed the paperwork and has now bought back his new 2014 motorcycle with the puking cooling system. Apparently the dealer, with the aid of the crack MOCO support team were unable to get the system to work without it upchucking the contents of the cooling system when it got hot. Finally, after about 10 days of this being discussed openly with the forum members here, they evidently decided to throw in the towel on this one and buy it back.
This is the first time I have ever know of them buying back a lemon. I wonder if they will ship the bike back to the Mother Ship to figure it out. The OP was reluctant to say who the dealer was, rightfully so.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
This is the first time I have ever know of them buying back a lemon. I wonder if they will ship the bike back to the Mother Ship to figure it out. The OP was reluctant to say who the dealer was, rightfully so.
Really! Sounds like a up and standing dealer to me. Am I missing something?

Beary

Old 09-18-2013, 04:32 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 316 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Really! Sounds like a up and standing dealer to me. Am I missing something?

Beary
No chance the dealer bought it back. I'm sure it was HD that bought it back. If the dealer did....it was because the MOCO was going to reimburse them.

Quick Reply: My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..