Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 PM
TMOUT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's going in to be checked out under warranty, get them to change the plastic fan to the metal one while they're at it. Apparently it's an issue as well.......

Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,519 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I wonder if the water cooled design would be better, if they weren't trying to hide the fact that it is water cooled. A lower seems like an odd place for the reservoir. Hope they fix yours quick, and figure out out to make water cooling reliable.

I blew a lower gasket on my Vulcan 750 at 20k. Cost $900 to fix. At least you are under warranty. Having a new bike in the shop blows though. Good luck. Hope the Moco gives you some free services or equipment credits for being a beta tester.
Let us know what happens.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:53 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry to hear about the leak. I had a brand new Honda Valkyrie back may years ago and at the 100th mile mile, it started to leak oil. Took it back and service mechanic re-tightend cylinder head fasteners, and it run well after that.

I think a couple of possible root causes, loose reservoir cap like most had suggested and the other could possibly the ratio of coolant to water mixture. I am not sure these days how manufacturers formulate their coolants, but I would very surprised if it is root cause...just a theory...

DC
09 Ultra
09 R1200RT

Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by jmacdonald5
..here ya go..

A Harley Takes an Engine From Porsche
By JIM McCRAW
Published: May 26, 2002

"NO wonder many riders don't know what to make of the new V-Rod from Harley-Davidson: The engine was designed in Germany by Porsche and it has the first water-cooled engine in Harley-Davidson's 99-year history."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/26/au...m-porsche.html ---if you want to read more--
What about the Nova project? Saw it last month at the HD musemun, water cooled, look a lot like the GoldWing..

Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 AM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh, the good old kiss principle. The more parts the more to wear out and break. I see no advantage at all on these new water cooled bikes. My 09 Ultra with a 103 kit and 255 cams does everything I want it to. But good luck to all the fearless leaders taking the plunge.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:40 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Great now we have a Harley pretending to be a Honda.
I am sure they will take care of it
Wrong...My Honda has NEVER leaked coolant...or left me broken down on trips multiple times...or had the dealer try to jam me on obvious warranty repairs...or not start...or fall over because of a garbage kick stand design and a bad tech...NLOL...

Old 09-02-2013, 05:46 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by christo651
First off it reminds me of a cocker spaniel, she got all excited that you played with her and she pee'd all over the place. Second to the poster regarding why would anyone want a watercooled bike, I had 2 water cooled, shaft driven Honda Shadows and never had any trouble from them in the tens of thousands of miles I put on them both.
Sure, and i've run hundreds of thousands of miles without the weight and complexity of water cooling without any ill affects, so I still have to restate, what's the point?
There really is no such thing as water cooling anyway, and if you doubt it just block the AIR from flowing through your radiator.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:51 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Interested in what was problem

If it was a dealer set up issue...You probably wont hear that from them? Maybe they are selling so fast the Un-crate kid ( $ 7.25 hr.) is setting them up for the road?
I would be crazy pissed and on a Holiday Weekend? The dealer will be gone/ busy upon return, just the hassle of getting to dealer and waiting ect...!!
Hap

Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,604 Likes on 3,849 Posts

The screw type hose clamp are fine for hoses on heavy pipe, but things have changed. That spring type you see there continuously tighten and as the hose hardens and shrinks over the years pulls down on it so it never leaks for the life time of the assembly. At any disassemble, hoses and probably clamps should be replaced. That recovery/expansion tank is just that, for an excess of fluid so sealed system runs with no air in it. Just where is the actually cap for changing the fluid out when cold? I do not see it on any of the feeds showing the system. Someone just may have overfilled that white plastic expansion tank. I sure do not see any blown hoses or failures in the thermostat housing unless the bottom is a screw off cap and it is ajar. Would appear that would be where the thermostat is removed from.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sash302
V-rod is not a harley, desighn and made in Germany by Porsche.
Not a very smart man are you?

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...on_vr_1000.htm

Just remember that the EVO was also designed in Germany by Porsche...

Last edited by Markk9; 09-02-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Quick Reply: My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics..