Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Road King windshield grommets

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Probably better to stick with rubber bushings. Metal on metal would create an annoying noise.
I agree, and I think the rubber provides some needed friction to the system.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Homeward Bound
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RK Joy
I agree, and I think the rubber provides some needed friction to the system.
It probably needs a little damping more than friction. I guess where most metal to metal parts are happily mated with each other on motorcycles, the Lexan is a little more vulnerable to cracking?

Personally, I need to replace them but want to move away from how easy it is to remove the fairing, especially if one is leaving the bike parked in public places.

I cannot *always* be on the move, hence those ShieldShackles look attractive.

I'm wonder of the design ... perhaps the MoCo designed them with the kind of owner who does not even own a spanner in mind?

I cannot really see the benefit in such an easily stolen item.

(I'm thinking of going to Sturgis with a truck and harvesting 100s of free windshields just to create sufficient moral outrage that "something has to be done about it!" ... as long as I am not shot first. With a good lawyer I might even be able to prove it was H-Ds fault for making so easy to do and sue them for my addiction.).

So what do those OEM "springs" do apart from get in the way, anyway?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeward Bound
Cannot see why if they were an interference fit and bolted into place.

Almost the whole of the rest of the vehicle is metal to metal bolted together.

As it is, I find I tend to loosen and then bolt into place the windshield when using it ... and what those damned spring clips are meant to be doing except for getting in the way, I have not a clue in hell. I may remove them.
If you ever stop and are hit with a strong gust of wind from behind, the spring retainers are supposed to prevent the shield from slipping forward at the top grommets (first step to removal). The "factory shape" of my retainers wouldn't keep the shield from slipping forward, I had to bend in a bit more angle to the part that went behind the grommet, then no more problem. I finally went with the Brukus retainers and while removing the shield is now more inconvenient, I don't worry about the shield being gone when I return to the bike. I know a dedicated thief can get it, but the casual "swap" is no longer an option and that is worth the inconvenience to me.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM
Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will agree. Most who purchase our ShieldShackle are looking for security of their windshield - against theft or strong winds blowing them off (which has happened to customers). And also they like that the windshield is "sturdy / steady" on the bike. However, they are also riders who don't take the windshield off much.

It's difficult to secure a quick release system so it's not quickly released by a thief - and still keep it quickly released. So you trade a little time for the security / peace of mind factor.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Homeward Bound
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for chipping in. I like your product.

What are your thoughts about making semi-permanent replacement grommets out of stainless steel?

I'm suggesting an interference fit. One could perhaps stick an o ring in them to add some damping.

I count myself amongst those who want/need to bolt the thing down. I don't just ride garage to garage, and do leave it outside on the road.

Thanks.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeward Bound
Thanks for chipping in. I like your product.

What are your thoughts about making semi-permanent replacement grommets out of stainless steel?

I'm suggesting an interference fit. One could perhaps stick an o ring in them to add some damping.

I count myself amongst those who want/need to bolt the thing down. I don't just ride garage to garage, and do leave it outside on the road.

Thanks.
I just saw this and apologize if you were directing this at me? Were you asking my opinion? Don't want to butt in where I wasn't intended.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a motorcycle with a National Cycles "Swichblade" quick release windshield. It uses metal disks instead of rubber and it works beautifully. I don't know if the other dynamics of the system are different than on my Road King, though.