Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Cycle Trader Worth The Effort

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice bike. $13,950 is psychologically more appealing.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I've found it's good to use as many outlets as you can to get the word out about whatever it is you want to sell. But at the end of the day, you have to watch out for scammers. Cash or cashiers checks only. And cashiers checks must be verified by the institution that allegedly printed it before accepting the check. Lot's of dicks out there counterfeiting cashiers checks today.

I've successfully sold two motorcycles on Craigs List. Understand that there will be some automatic scammers, but they are easy to spot if you have half a brain. I sold one bike to a guy in Mass. He sent me the cashiers check by FedEx, and I verified and deposited it. He flew in, I picked him up at the airport, and he rode the bitch back to Mass. The other sale on Craigslist went smoothly as well. Sold that bike to a local guy and I accompanied him to his bank to get the funds.

Always swap copies of drivers license when you dabble in remote selling. If he won't provide you his license, then he is not serious, or is a scammer, or is a sort you want nothing to do with at all. Local face to face. That's the best way in my opinion.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:46 PM
longjh53
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all my HDFORUM Bros, good sound advice. Advertising via HOGS4SALE, wish me luck.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:59 PM
gghostrrider
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just sold my non Harley via cycletrader a few weeks back. Worked for me when I was about to give up on it. What do you have to lose? Take some good pics and a nice write up and I'd say list it for a month or so. Hope you get it sold.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious...is there any success to be had in the classifieds on this forum? No mention of the forum classifies as a viable option in this thread.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:21 PM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On the whole I have had good luck selling price on Craigslist and quality on ebay.
For example, selling an old fishing boat cheap on Craigslist and selling a pristine 82 FJ40 on Ebay.
Have both bought and sold on Cycletrader, it seem to at least attract focused buyers. I Like C.Trader for buying bikes personally.
If the bike is not "special" (rare/CVO/owned by Steve McQueen) in some way other than your own sentimentality, you must price it attractively-or sit on it until spring--when book is even lower as another yr older.
Picures and "extras" are your friends.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Twillis
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have listed and sold 1 bike using Cycletrader. I don't remember what the fees were, but within a week I sold my Kawasaki Connie for asking price to a guy 400 miles from my house. It was worth it.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll buy and sell 4-6 bikes a year and use CL, hog4sale and chopper exchange. Have had good results with all of them, but the best have always been chopper exchange.

Like was stated, get some good pictures, 4 as a minimum and if a buyer wants be prepared to take more. Also as much detail as you can, are you the first owner, what have you done to it, what extra parts do you have...that kind of thing. Check with your local dealer about the Dealer Assist program. Knowing what financing is available helps with a lot of folks. EagleRider is financing almost anyone that can breath on a mirror as well.

https://www.usedmotorcycles.net/financing

In our area, nice 08 Ultras are selling for 14,500 to $16,000, which is NADA book. Remember you can always come down but it's hard to go back up!

Good luck!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by longjh53
Yes that's the one, thanks for the tip on the new bike comment, and socializing my bike, maybe an interested party out of this area-
Interesting comment on pricing, I'm asking $1k over dealer offer, in hindsight should have took the dealer trade in offer. Anyway will wait til spring and see what happens. What are you looking at fair price?
If you only pay tax on the amount of money left after your trade the 1k over dealers offer probably isn't worth the hassle.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by gghostrrider
Just sold my non Harley via cycletrader a few weeks back. Worked for me when I was about to give up on it. What do you have to lose? Take some good pics and a nice write up and I'd say list it for a month or so. Hope you get it sold.
What kind of fees do they have?

Quick Reply: Is Cycle Trader Worth The Effort