Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak 2014 SGS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 03:39 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 755 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Oil Leak 2014 SGS

Throttle was sticking on the SGS after about 2k miles. Went by the dealership to have them eff with it. I had recently changed the fluids in all three holes and checked all the fasteners myself, and had no issues other than the throttle.

I let the service guy that is a friend of mine take a look at it....and to just give it the once over from another perspective. He calls me back a few minutes later to show me some weeping around the oil cooler. There are two 1/2 inch (approx) allen screw ins at the top of the cooler and they looked like they had been weeping.

My bud told me this has been a minor problem, and the MoCo already has a replacement kit to replace some internal O rings and some gaskets. All covered under warranty.

Anyone else had this? Just kind of curious if this will be another recall item, or just a bad batch of coolers....

Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 AM
motorman4566
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hum this could be what I saw on my 14 figured the shop spilled oil when servicing it. Have cleaned it up good..I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

If it continues to leak after the o rings have been replaced, make sure that the adapter is completely tight. That would be the center threaded piece that your filter screws on. It does loosen up and will leak around the filter gasket as the filter will fibrate loose. Only takes a second to check and tighten when you drop that filter. It takes a 7/16ths hex or you can use a 1/4 bolt head in a pinch.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:00 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Originally Posted by Drat
If it continues to leak after the o rings have been replaced, make sure that the adapter is completely tight. That would be the center threaded piece that your filter screws on. It does loosen up and will leak around the filter gasket as the filter will fibrate loose. Only takes a second to check and tighten when you drop that filter. It takes a 7/16ths hex or you can use a 1/4 bolt head in a pinch.
Thanks for the info on that......I seem to remember having to do that when I put an oil cooler on my 07 FLHTCUI

Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motorman4566
Hum this could be what I saw on my 14 figured the shop spilled oil when servicing it. Have cleaned it up good..I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up.
I saw the same thing on mine and also thought it was from the 1k service...

Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't seen anything that looked like a leak yet but I'll keep a close eye on it now, thanks for the heads up! Was it enough to drip on the floor or just give the wet appearance around the bolts?

Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Originally Posted by Webo
I haven't seen anything that looked like a leak yet but I'll keep a close eye on it now, thanks for the heads up! Was it enough to drip on the floor or just give the wet appearance around the bolts?
I too had just done the oil change prior to a 1200 mile ride. Didin't notice any drips. As I said, it was pointed out to me by my mechanic friend. Wasn't gushing like a Clampett oil well....just wet around it.....

Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Gunnerdave98
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate you putting this out there. Will make sure to keep an eye on mine now too.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Heading to garage now.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Nothing on mine...yet.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak 2014 SGS