Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many on your Fatty's Rear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 AM
Hessmonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many on your Fatty's Rear?

I want to go to 21" front and was thinking of going to a 200 on the rear. I've seen some posts about the 200 tires not getting very many miles on them before they are wore out. Since you can't really see the rear tire anyway, Ild rather get more milage out of a stock size than look cool and have to replace a expensive fat tire frequently. Any experience with a fatty?

Thanks
Hessmonster

Old 02-09-2014, 11:41 AM
jmcdermit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fattys are like scooters....fun to ride until your friends see you

Old 02-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hessmonster
I want to go to 21" front and was thinking of going to a 200 on the rear. I've seen some posts about the 200 tires not getting very many miles on them before they are wore out. Since you can't really see the rear tire anyway, Ild rather get more milage out of a stock size than look cool and have to replace a expensive fat tire frequently. Any experience with a fatty? Thanks Hessmonster
Nope..... No experience with the fatty, but I read a little about them when I was making my final decision.

What size rear wheel are you gonna go with? I went 18" on my rear, but kept a 180 back there, I have read that the 200mm rear makes the bike handle a little squirrely, I'm not sure how, but I didn't want to chance it too much. I knew I was gonna mess with the geometry of the handling a little, but IMHO opinion, it handles EXACTLY the same as it did stock. If I had to do it all over again, I'd do it the same way.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:22 PM
Hessmonster
Cruiser

That's my quandary, 17" or 18" I love the look of the 200 series but don't want to compromise ride/handling, or longevity of the tire. Looking for people that have it and what their results are.

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

longevity over coolness yeah i could do that but compromising ride/handling just isnt very smart. got enough to worry about without adding to it

Old 02-09-2014, 04:36 PM
blackhawk fan
1st Gear

I went with the 21'/17" combo with the 200 on back. Only thing i noticed was the front would get a slight wobble at 80mph. Installed the progressive mono tubes with the 1" drop and that eliminated the wobble.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Originally Posted by blackhawk fan
I went with the 21'/17" combo with the 200 on back. Only thing i noticed was the front would get a slight wobble at 80mph. Installed the progressive mono tubes with the 1" drop and that eliminated the wobble.
Did that really work! I've only had mine at highway speed a few times since I installed the wheels...... First time, I thought every bit of wind in the world was gonna come up underneath me and blow me off the bike! I have spokes, and it absolutely let's more wind pass through the wheels than the stock air strike wheels did, plus I contributed it to my bike sitting about an inch higher..... Rode it again a few more times...... Completely different story...... First time was just a reallllly windy day..... Friggin Kansas Still say it rides like stock.

I have a burly slammer kit I've been contemplating putting on, but I'm worried about rear wheel clearance....... I measured it prior to install, seems ok...... Just scared, plus I'm waiting to install my chrome lowers, then I'll just do the whole smash

Last edited by Turret_plug; 02-09-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
n19dg2
Advanced

I have a 21" front and an 18 / 200mm on the rear. I have had this set up since the bike was new. I now have 5,400K on the bike and have not experienced and handling issues what so ever. In fact on long hauls on the highway I have the cruise control on and no hands on the bars. I know...but I do it anyways.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Hessmonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by n19dg2
I have a 21" front and an 18 / 200mm on the rear. I have had this set up since the bike was new. I now have 5,400K on the bike and have not experienced and handling issues what so ever. In fact on long hauls on the highway I have the cruise control on and no hands on the bars. I know...but I do it anyways.
How is the tire wear on the rear tire?

Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Turret_plug
Road Master

Yeah..... What he said! I read all kinds of crap, as one always will.... Some pros, some cons...... Maybe it's a frame thing from different years that makes it wobble, maybe it's a mental thing...... I have pretty good results with my swap

Quick Reply: How many on your Fatty's Rear?