Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 Ultra running poorly

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:06 PM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '05 Ultra running poorly

My '05 Ultra began missing and backfiring during a long ride a couple of weeks ago. It was running fine before that but I had noticed it wasn't starting as clean as it used to. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator was bad and the fuel tube inside the tank was cracked as well. I diagnosed the regulator by testing the pressure at the "tank petcock" and found it was only 20psi and wouldn't hold. I assumed it was just the regulator but when I tested it after replacing, I found it would pressurize to 60 psi but still wouldn't hold. It was then that I remembered reading something on here about these tubes going bad.

I also replaced the fuel filter/tube but found that the plastic regulator housing was missing one of the mounting ears and the area of the steel plate where this bracket mounts was bent. This was allowing the regulator to push out of the plastic housing allowing gas to leak past the O-rings of the regulator. I bent the tabs back down and replaced the plastic housing. Going for a ride tomorrow morning to test it.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like your doing pretty good fixing it yourself. Hope you got it running right.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:20 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 134 Posts

Keep us updated..

Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 PM
ThisIsMe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonderful. I just did the fuel filter on my 07 Ultra. Manual called out to replace the lower hose. Went back to the dealer to get it. Out of stock and on backorder for two weeks.

Put it together anyways and said, "It is a plastic hose, what could happen."

Now I see your predicament. Good luck with it.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Melman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, took it for a ride and it ran great. It starts better and has the get-up-and-go like it used to. I think it was leaking for some time. Me and the wifey are heading for the Blue Ridge Mountains the weekend of 5/16. Love the mountains...especially coming from boring Florida!!

Hey ThisIsMe: I also ran into the issue with all the local stealerships having these tubes on B/O. I ended up driving 50 miles (one way) to Lakeland H-D here in Florida because they had some in stock. If you don't want to wait, give them a call.