Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 04:17 PM
tonetls
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Floor Jacks

I know this prob has been asked many times but what's a decent floor jack.

I'm looking for a easy way to clean wheels? Tired of push, clean, push, clean. You know what I mean.

Wheel jocky, wheel caddy or any of those any good? I don't want a full drive-on type cuz the wheels would not turn freely. Seen several on EBAY but would like the forums opinions please.

Don't want to spend hundreds either but definatly want security in the air.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the Sears Red Jack that works fine for $99.00 and free shipping .
It will do anything you like .

Old 06-21-2014, 05:36 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

some guys need to pay $400 for a lift for their "investment"

I use a $69 lift from sams club for my motorcycles

over the 12 or 15 years I've had it, I've used it dozens of times. ( some of these Chinese lifts from Larin required the pivot bolts replaced with grade 8 bolts)

universal truths:

lift only as high as required, when required ( oil changes and stuff can be easily done on the side stand)

strap the bike, use the outriggers and lock the casters- the lifting arms should have a manual lock- ( 3 features you want)- do not depend on a hydraulic ram to support the bike, it will bleed down

don;t try moving the lifted bike around the garage- if a caster snags on a rock or crack...

lock your self in the garage, don't let kids or pets run around- or jump on the lifted bike*

remember that removing a wheel ( for example) changes the balance point...removing the rear wheel can result in a nose dive.*

mike

* the 2 times I have had to help Pals pick their bikes up off the floor were the result of these....both with very expensive lifts.

for bonus points, use the correct wheel cleaners- steel wool has no business near a bike- it will ruin the finishes.

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-21-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:46 PM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,199 Likes on 2,830 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
some guys need to pay $400 for a lift for their "investment"

I use a $69 lift from sams club for my motorcycles

over the 12 or 15 years I've had it, I've used it dozens of times. ( some of these Chinese lifts from Larin required the pivot bolts replaced with grade 8 bolts)

universal truths:

lift only as high as required, when required ( oil changes and stuff can be easily done on the side stand)

strap the bike, use the outriggers and lock the casters- the lifting arms should have a manual lock- ( 3 features you want)- do not depend on a hydraulic ram to support the bike, it will bleed down

don;t try moving the lifted bike around the garage- if a caster snags on a rock or crack...

lock your self in the garage, don't let kids or pets run around- or jump on the lifted bike*

remember that removing a wheel ( for example) changes the balance point...removing the rear wheel can result in a nose dive.*

mike

* the 2 times I have had to help Pals pick their bikes up off the floor were the result of these.

for bonus points, use the correct wheel cleaners- steel wool has no business near a bike- it will ruin the finishes.

Spend the money on a J&S jack and all the above is a moot point. Don't have to worry about any of it.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Cheapest out there is Harbor Freight, and the older style yellow one I have is adequate, but the new black ones I wouldn't trust anything on. From what I've seen, jacks seem to be getting cheaper, not better. If I had to buy one right now, I think I'd go with this Sears model. Harbor Freight has a very similar model (not the cheaper black one I mentioned), but incredibly Sears is cheaper.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...2&blockType=G2

The American made ones are undoubtably far better, but $400+, new.

The one I like best is this one, but it doesn't move with a load on it, so for most people it would probably be the second jack if you needed two (I do sometimes, 6 bikes in the garage).

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-po...ift-99887.html

Old 06-21-2014, 06:07 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I bought one from Harbor Freight, $69.95 on sale. I only use it for waxing my bike.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 PM
SquirtGun
Tourer
Old 06-21-2014, 06:14 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 548 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Spend the money on a J&S jack and all the above is a moot point. Don't have to worry about any of it.
I 2nd the J&S jack. If I had to do it again I might get a pitbull instead. One of the best things I've bought was the J&S jack.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerBullet

Old 06-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Hog 1
Novice

Invest the money on an American jack. I went with J&S jacks and I'm one happy camper. I use it to turn the bike in my garage 180 degrees. Drive in, lift it off the floor and spin it around. Plus it's rock solid.

I bought a china made POS from Amazon. That bike would dance on that jack. It was so bad that I was afraid to drop it. Going down it was scary. 90 mph with bounce and that shakyness.

Screw it, I went American!

I use motorcycle jacks to work on the bike, wash my tires and major service. But a "turn-table" lift is just icing on the cake.....

Quick Reply: Floor Jacks