Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Suspension help on 2013 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:23 AM
kballowe
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need Suspension help on 2013 Road King

I have a relatively new 2013 Road King that wallows badly in the corners.

A suspension upgrade is sadly needed.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kballowe
I have a relatively new 2013 Road King that wallows badly in the corners.

A suspension upgrade is sadly needed.

Any suggestions?
I changed to the profile low rear shocks for the same reason on my 2014 road king. some complain they are too harsh but I like em.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,507 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I also changed to the Profile Low front and rear when I got my King to get me flat footed. These feel pretty good to me overall in the corners. I ride mostly solo, so the ride's not bad for me.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:15 PM
sportyscoop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are serious about IMPROVING the handling characteristics of your 2013 Road King, then you need to investigate options outside the MoCo. There are two options for rear shocks that will help, Ohlin's or JRI shocks, anything else, will only help a little bit. The front forks can be improved by adding RaceTech Gold Top Emulators and springs, or Progressive Mono Tubes.

There is a sponsor of this Forum, MotorcycleMetal, Howard is the man to talk to about shocks and forks. www.motorcyclemetal.com. Check out his website and learn about Harley suspension. I am not paid by him, not do I work for him. I am just a very happy customer.

I've purchased the JRI-B shocks from them and it made my 2011 FLTRU feel like it should! Bumps are absorbed, the bike tracks true, bumps in a corner do not throw it off balance or the line. Serious improvements can be had, but you need to be serious about the set-up and the investment. Just lowering the rear of the bike is just going to reduce the amount of travel in your shocks. Less travel, equals less movement before your shock bottoms out!

I had a 2006 Road King Classic, and put coil-over shocks by Race Tech on it that were non-adjustable except for spring pre-load, and they worked very well too. Junk those wimpy air bladder shocks that come stock, and get a good set of coil-over adjustable shocks and you will be much happier.

Good Luck,

John

Old 08-07-2014, 12:47 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sportyscoop
If you are serious about IMPROVING the handling characteristics of your 2013 Road King, then you need to investigate options outside the MoCo. There are two options for rear shocks that will help, Ohlin's or JRI shocks, anything else, will only help a little bit. The front forks can be improved by adding RaceTech Gold Top Emulators and springs, or Progressive Mono Tubes.

There is a sponsor of this Forum, MotorcycleMetal, Howard is the man to talk to about shocks and forks. www.motorcyclemetal.com. Check out his website and learn about Harley suspension. I am not paid by him, not do I work for him. I am just a very happy customer.

I've purchased the JRI-B shocks from them and it made my 2011 FLTRU feel like it should! Bumps are absorbed, the bike tracks true, bumps in a corner do not throw it off balance or the line. Serious improvements can be had, but you need to be serious about the set-up and the investment. Just lowering the rear of the bike is just going to reduce the amount of travel in your shocks. Less travel, equals less movement before your shock bottoms out!

I had a 2006 Road King Classic, and put coil-over shocks by Race Tech on it that were non-adjustable except for spring pre-load, and they worked very well too. Junk those wimpy air bladder shocks that come stock, and get a good set of coil-over adjustable shocks and you will be much happier.

Good Luck,

John
Yup this...

Old 08-07-2014, 01:43 PM
kballowe
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

This is (mostly) a 2-up bike. Rider+passenger=350 lbs.

As it sits, the wallow factor is relatively high. Almost anything would be an improvement.

I took a look at the Progressive monotubes. Seems like they get good reviews.

My target is < $1,000.... so I'm not THAT serious. This is a touring bike that we use for, well, "touring". Speed limit+5 and +15 in the corners.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:52 PM
sportyscoop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear shocks are your most felt ride improvement. Check out the JRI shocks. Ohlin's are more expensive, but are about the same ride quality. Progressive shocks are "OK" but not much better than stock. I'm just trying to keep you from spending money on generic stuff that doesn't do the job, then you have to spend more to replace that stuff.

One time investment in premium shock absorbers will put a smile on your face. Your passenger will like it too. Spend time on the phone with Howard at motorcycle metal, he may be out in Sturgis now, maybe not, but call him. The man knows suspension!

John

Old 08-07-2014, 02:12 PM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kballowe
This is (mostly) a 2-up bike. Rider+passenger=350 lbs.

As it sits, the wallow factor is relatively high. Almost anything would be an improvement.

I took a look at the Progressive monotubes. Seems like they get good reviews.

My target is < $1,000.... so I'm not THAT serious. This is a touring bike that we use for, well, "touring". Speed limit+5 and +15 in the corners.
JRIs will be well under $1K The pricing on the site does not reflect the discount Howard gives to forum members.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:05 PM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have about 600 miles on my Jri's. It is ridiculous how much better the bike rides and handles. You will not look at curves in the same way. I am 70% two up. Again call Howard at MotorcycleMetal. Service and support are extraordinary! Well under $1000.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:23 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I would first experiment with the air pressure in the stock shocks, I liked to run around 40 pounds at least that worked for me. I now have the HD premium hand adjustable shocks which you can purchase for about 400 dollars. I like the HD shocks and they're a bargain, have had them on the bike 12k miles and it's a big improvement over stock.

Quick Reply: Need Suspension help on 2013 Road King