Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Question on Primary Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM
trike1
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question on Primary Oil Change

Ok guys, I got a question on the amount of oil in the primary chain case. I have a 11TG with a 103 and in the owners manual it says to add 38 fl. oz when doing a change. A note states, to add 45 fl oz after service that involves removal of the primary chain case cover.
Am I missing something, what about the other 7 ounces?
Won't the new oil going in, get contaminated with the 7 oz of the old oil sitting somewhere in the primary? ( ie, metal shavings, moisture, etc.)

I'm not a mechanic and trying to figure this out.

Thanks

Old 02-15-2014, 07:12 PM
lboos
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trike1
Ok guys, I got a question on the amount of oil in the primary chain case. I have a 11TG with a 103 and in the owners manual it says to add 38 fl. oz when doing a change. A note states, to add 45 fl oz after service that involves removal of the primary chain case cover.
Am I missing something, what about the other 7 ounces?
Won't the new oil going in, get contaminated with the 7 oz of the old oil sitting somewhere in the primary? ( ie, metal shavings, moisture, etc.)

I'm not a mechanic and trying to figure this out.

Thanks
Just like your car on an oil change you will never get it all out, unless you drop the pan and clean the pan and eng. block etc.
I would guess that the Harley engineers thought it was acceptable to do it this way, although if you want to drain the last 7 oz's you can remove the primary chain case and clean it completely and then you can add the 45 flu. oz's ,.... not trying to be a know it all but it's prob. just the design of the primary chain case, don't know, like you I would like to drain every oz. out, that goes for the eng. and trans.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Like the transmission and the engine, there is a level..probably more important then amount since not ever one waits for the last oz to drip out or maybe the bike is leaning or you do indeed lean it just so and let most of the 7 oz out. That level on most all Harleys is to the outside diameter of the clutch hub. That should be in your owners manual. Most all the manuals make the picture a little difficult to understand and sometimes it's actually hard to see. I bent a little piece of wire to make mine easy. It would take a 1/2 qt too much to probably notice a problem. Makes neutral hard to find and lot more bang going from neutral to first on cold start ups. This may help...

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:17 PM
trike1
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for responding.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 AM
Jeremy Hawkins
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary fluid change

What's up guys, I recently purchased a 09 street glide, 1st bike. Don't know much on the history so first thing I want to do is change all fluids so I know what I'm running and set up my services. I went to local dealer and bought oil change kit, but after reading some things on here about using the syn3 in primary I'm not sure if I want too! Bike has 33,000 on it, clutch feels fine, but if there is something better I can use I would like to go that route. I don't mind spending a little Xtra if it will benefit in the long run, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 02-27-2020, 08:17 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

If you already have the oil, use it.

There may be some lubes that are technically better, but people tend to split hairs when it comes to oil, over analyzing it to the nth degree.

You won`t find a post on any forum about premature wear or failure due to the use of any brand oil, as long as it is the grade specified by the manufacturer.