Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Harley Armrests (Ease the pain install)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 10:41 AM
Buelos75
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Harley Armrests (Ease the pain install)

Purchased the "Harley Trike Passenger Armrest Kit", Kit Number 52400106. Lookup the instructions via J05918. I was told the shop has a book on this for three shop hours.
I will try to make this viable for the average garage monkey like myself to save the three hours of labor. The Instructions advise to remove the tour pack. I elected not to do this because I had moved it back with a kit and did not want to disturb the six screws. I elected to remove the rear speakers so as to drill the holes for the armrest support blocks. Template is straight forward, and instructions suggest to tape for no movement. Drilled the eight holes without a problem through the template.
FIRST RUB: Bike is to be elevated and wheels have to be removed. (how many jacks do you have). I removed the left wheel and tried to reach holes but my arms are not tech person length. Plus there is no straight shot to bottom of body.
SOLUTION: Frustration forced a solution.. Remove the body from the trike. Eight bolts to remove body and two people to lift it off the chassis.
As my partner was not up to lifting the body completely off, we settled for a partial removal and rested the fenders on the wheels ( yes with protection for the fenders). This allowed me the climb into the back and finish installation of the armrest support blocks. Use the RED locktight as suggested because you don't want to have to crawl around to retighten.
So... My install
1. buy kit and have Harley install. Expensive but it may be worth it if you don't have a gargage full of tools.
2. Remove Tour Pack (6 bolts) or if you don't want to do that remove the rear speakers (remove all electric wires for removing body)
3. Install template and drill eight holes.
4. Remove eight (8) bolts for body removal.
5. Install Armrest Support Blocks (screw with red locktight)
6. Re-install the body to the chassis (torque to Harley spec).
7. Connect all electrical connections.
8. Install rest of kit using instructions.

I am sure there are better ways of doing this but being old I figured this would be the best way for me. I will post a couple of pic for reference. If
any of Trike riders need help post on this post and i will try to respond.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:51 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,542 Likes on 1,628 Posts

OMG!!!!! That's insane!
I put the Kuryakyns by myself in an hour or so but they mount directly on the tour pack.

The following users liked this post:
sloufoot (09-08-2022)
Old 09-08-2022, 06:02 AM
Buelos75
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
OMG!!!!! That's insane!
I put the Kuryakyns by myself in an hour or so but they mount directly on the tour pack.
You are right... To have to do all of this is crazy but man those armrests are there to stay.. Spouse loves them. Taking long ride this Sunday to see if you need to remove the grab handles. Appreciate the reply, didn't mean to write a novel.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:47 AM
BigD48
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
OMG!!!!! That's insane!
I’ve read where people are saying that they have had issues with cracking of the tour pack with armrests that mount to the tour pack from repeatedly putting weight on them. Not so with the H-D ones.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:53 AM
Crazyasian
Cruiser

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Can we get an "after" pic? Contemplating the purchase for the wifey.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:09 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,542 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by BigD48
I’ve read where people are saying that they have had issues with cracking of the tour pack with armrests that mount to the tour pack from repeatedly putting weight on them. Not so with the H-D ones.
I guess that's possible if you put enough weight on them.
I think my wife has ridden on my T/G once, maybe twice and I think her "biking days" are behind her
I only install the "swing-a-way" arm supports when she's on the trike and they rattle like crazy without weight on them.
The mounts however provide an excellent anchor for tie-downs to secure y extra helmet or luggage when on long trips.

5wheels (09-08-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 07:01 PM
Buelos75
Advanced
Default pictures of installed H-D

Here are a couple of pictures of armrests after installation

Left side, hinges and rolls out for easy loading

Right side of Armrests

BigD48 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 06:32 PM
BigD48
Tourer
Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks good. I went to your link and read the installation instructions. If you remove the tour pack, you don’t have to remove the body, correct?

Last edited by BigD48; 09-13-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:42 AM
Buelos75
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigD48
Looks good. I went to your link and read the installation instructions. If you remove the tour pack, you don’t have to remove the body, correct?
According to the instructions you are correct. My problem was I couldn't get the trike off the ground high enough to reach the area where the screws fit into the top of the body. That was even with the tire removed. I just found it easier to remove the body with the tire still on the trike. There was to much hoses in the way for this old man to maneuver around.

BigD48 (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 12:03 PM
Dr ROK
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default How high?

Originally Posted by Buelos75
According to the instructions you are correct. My problem was I couldn't get the trike off the ground high enough to reach the area where the screws fit into the top of the body. That was even with the tire removed. I just found it easier to remove the body with the tire still on the trike. There was to much hoses in the way for this old man to maneuver around.
How high do you need to get it off the ground to do this without taking off the body?