Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

What to look for in exhaust for the trikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 AM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I had to replace mine right away. I was on a trip and they came loose 3 different times. What a pain to lay on your back in a motel parking lot to fix it.
I've got a set of Fatshotz out in the garage and am getting ready to put them on my 11 FLHXXX. Just to make sure I don't need anything before starting, what are you talking about? What did you have to replace, the rubber, the pipes, the pipe clamps? When I had these on my 09 FLHT I followed the conventional wisdom of the "experts" and did not replace the muffler clamps. Had to constantly loosen everything and push the pipe forward on my trip to Yellowstone until I got to a dealer and bought a new clamp. The rear bracket slid in the rubber, but that was because the front was loose. I guess I'll put the trike on some ramps to get it up in the air a bit and take a look at the fore and aft clamps. Doesn't look any different from my 09 in the Trike parts manual exploded diagram.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
I've got a set of Fatshotz out in the garage and am getting ready to put them on my 11 FLHXXX. Just to make sure I don't need anything before starting, what are you talking about? What did you have to replace, the rubber, the pipes, the pipe clamps? When I had these on my 09 FLHT I followed the conventional wisdom of the "experts" and did not replace the muffler clamps. Had to constantly loosen everything and push the pipe forward on my trip to Yellowstone until I got to a dealer and bought a new clamp. The rear bracket slid in the rubber, but that was because the front was loose. I guess I'll put the trike on some ramps to get it up in the air a bit and take a look at the fore and aft clamps. Doesn't look any different from my 09 in the Trike parts manual exploded diagram.
The 09 and 10 came with a different rubber mount where the mufflers are attached. They made a change some time 2010 so yours should be OK.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM
HogAir
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Vance and Hines Deluxes just showed up this afternoon. Totally different mounting method from the Twin Slashes on the bike now. This set has a heavy duty mounting bracket that you bolt under the trike after you remove the existing mufflers. Deluxes bolt to this bracket from the side so the mufflers will overall be mounted higher than the originals.

Should be a fun weekend...

Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
hdivy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HogAir
Vance and Hines Deluxes just showed up this afternoon. Totally different mounting method from the Twin Slashes on the bike now. This set has a heavy duty mounting bracket that you bolt under the trike after you remove the existing mufflers. Deluxes bolt to this bracket from the side so the mufflers will overall be mounted higher than the originals.

Should be a fun weekend...
what's the part number for them

Old 08-04-2011, 12:38 PM
HogAir
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 08-06-2011, 06:20 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
The 09 and 10 came with a different rubber mount where the mufflers are attached. They made a change some time 2010 so yours should be OK.

Was hot (as usual) and I couldn't really get out of the house as I had some prostrate surgery a couple of days ago. Put the trike up on stands so I could crawl around under it. Even up in the air a foot getting those cottin pickin bolts out of the mufflers was a giant pain. Probably couldn't have done it with the trike on the floor. Rubber slid back and you couldn't get a wrench on the bolt heads. Finally managed to loosen the left muffler and push it in and out enough that I got the rubber to move off the bolt. After a lot more time and frustration I finally got the last bolt out of the right muffler. After doing all that I figured I might as well remove the rest of the exhaust and de-cat it as I don't want to be doing this again. Question if anyone has tried it. I was putting on some Fatshotz I had taken off my 09 FLHT. They were a little loud for some in our tour group last year but from what I have read they are designed for cat systems and are quiet with a cat. Now that I have removed the cat, I wonder what would happen if I took five plates out of the right side and left ten in the left? Only about 20% of the exhaust goes out the left side and the factory Harley pipes have a less restrictive pipe on the left side. Quiet it down a bit? Also removed the handlebars and wiring. And set the new bar in the brackets to do some measuring. Didn't like the bars so I ordered another set to see if I like them better. Again, only want to do this once. Wrong move starting on this stuff today. Guess I wasn't as good as I thought as I feel awful now. I think I'm done for today and probably tomorrow as well.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Was hot (as usual) and I couldn't really get out of the house as I had some prostrate surgery a couple of days ago. Put the trike up on stands so I could crawl around under it. Even up in the air a foot getting those cottin pickin bolts out of the mufflers was a giant pain. Probably couldn't have done it with the trike on the floor. Rubber slid back and you couldn't get a wrench on the bolt heads. Finally managed to loosen the left muffler and push it in and out enough that I got the rubber to move off the bolt. After a lot more time and frustration I finally got the last bolt out of the right muffler. After doing all that I figured I might as well remove the rest of the exhaust and de-cat it as I don't want to be doing this again. Question if anyone has tried it. I was putting on some Fatshotz I had taken off my 09 FLHT. They were a little loud for some in our tour group last year but from what I have read they are designed for cat systems and are quiet with a cat. Now that I have removed the cat, I wonder what would happen if I took five plates out of the right side and left ten in the left? Only about 20% of the exhaust goes out the left side and the factory Harley pipes have a less restrictive pipe on the left side. Quiet it down a bit? Also removed the handlebars and wiring. And set the new bar in the brackets to do some measuring. Didn't like the bars so I ordered another set to see if I like them better. Again, only want to do this once. Wrong move starting on this stuff today. Guess I wasn't as good as I thought as I feel awful now. I think I'm done for today and probably tomorrow as well.
Or you could add 9 plates to each side and go to a closed end cap, the open end cap is equal to 9 plates the folks at Supertrapp say.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:45 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

I had to take the mufflers off my 09 a few times. Just in case I have to remove the trike mufflers again I wanted to see if I could make the job easier. Hopefully, this will work. Aluminum block that is taller than the rubber to keep it from moving rearward. Still enough room to get the allen wrench in from the top.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to take the mufflers off my 09 a few times. Just in case I have to remove the trike mufflers again I wanted to see if I could make the job easier. Hopefully, this will work. Aluminum block that is taller than the rubber to keep it from moving rearward. Still enough room to get the allen wrench in from the top.

Good idea. Thanks.