VRSC Models V-Rod, Street Rod, Night Rod and Night Rod Special

2009 Night Rod Special Long Touring Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 AM
msleather1sangel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2009 Night Rod Special Long Touring Trip

I just got back from the longest trip I have ever done. 4144.6 miles in 13 days. I was not riding for three of those days so it was really riding done over ten days. Route was New York lower Hudson Valley area out to Oklahoma, stopped for two days, went on down to the south then zig zagged up through the smoky mountain/blue mountain region up to West Virginia and the cut across to DC area and took 95 back home. 22 states in 1 days of riding. Traffic sucked in DC, baltimore, and Jersey but other than that, ride was all smooth. Watercooling kept me from freaking out in traffic when the temp was in the 90+ range. I had left july 28th and came home aug 9th. Oh, I also stayed one night over in Alexandria, LA. I travelled with the sport detachable saddlebags, a medium saddleman tour bag on passenger seat, and a generic duffle bag strapped on the sissy bar rack. I travelled solo and alone...which most people thought was crazy to which I replied "and?".

My VRSCDX was not as bad on the road as I thought it would be. I did have a gel seat and shifted some but I would still make some mods to get it more comfy. Namely...bars with more rise and pullback, a custom seat with built in gel pad using my seat pan, and air ride suspension. This model doesn't take to kindly to bad road conditions so better springs up front and air ride suspension will solve that plus it helps in the Big Apple. The sport windshield worked great to keep wind off my chest but it still got my helmet and shoulders. Plus it buffets a little if you really sit up tall. The saddlebags don't keep all of the rain out...if the bike is standing still. : 0 (I highly recommend the Harley FXRG gloves that are waterproof. They are expensive but worth every penny, kept my hands warm and very dry.) My V-Rod is flat black and helps to hide the dirt so that is a plus. Let's talk about mileage...I got about 35-40 per gallon. I cruised at 70 most of the time but goosed it up to above that a few times. I would stop about every 100 miles for myself to stretch mainly but I always like to give myself room to play with the gas. Letting the tank get too low is not good. each fill up was about 7 dollars and always having enough gas prepared me for traffic or crazy stretchs without a gas station. Oh, yeah...the reserve reading is total crap...do not go by the reserve reading unless you are driving 30mph in no traffic and no hills. My reserve would go from 43 to 39 to 41 in the period of two miles and the more I goosed it the faster it dropped so forget about the reserve gauge reading. The furthest I went was 125 miles and my light actually came on telling me it was time to gas up. even though the tank says it hold five gallons...you will most likely not get it below 1.5 gallons since each time I filled up it was never more than 3.5 gallons. Let me know if you want more wisdom from the trip...

I have some personal insights after this wonderful trip that I am sure someone could benefit from so let me now and I will post it...

Overall my VRSCDX did well in this long trip and I alone was able to load it up with enough stuff for two weeks and have to room to buy teeshirts.

Renee
2007 FXDL tricked out / 2009 VRSCDX blacked out

Last edited by msleather1sangel; 08-11-2009 at 01:02 AM. Reason: didn't like the ending
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM
DesertSpeed
Account Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you had a good run. I'm not sure I could handle drag bars and forward controls that far.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 AM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

Sounds like a great trip on VRSCDX. You should post some pics of the trip!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
HRLY07
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great trip. I admire your ambition and fortitude. We'd like to hear more thoughts on the ride and the operation of that teriffic bike.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:39 PM
olivr2
Stage IV

My reserve reading is the same way. I don't trust it much and only use the gas as a ball park. I feel like the light can be on after a ride but when I turn it on the next day it reads 1/4 a tank. I still reset one of the trips so I can look at the miles as a backup. Most people I ride with have to fill up way before I do so it's usually not ever a problem.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 PM
msleather1sangel
Novice

I will post more info about my trip on the road trip forum. As far as the V-Rod for this trip I can add more info. The power was very smooth and the V-Rod does like to go at least 70 or faster, it is like it all comes together at that speed. I considered going the V-Glide or road Rod route but am not sure I want to totally lose the sprty look. The andling was very good for the most part. Liek I mentioned before...the suspension bottomed out abit but at my 5000 service my mechanic is going to check it over in great detail to find out if anything is actually wrong. I will upgrade my suspension to the Progressive springs in front and the Arnott air shocks in back. After mnay question at the dealer this seems to be the way to go. The one thing that made me nervous was taking the turns and hitting holes/bumps while in the lean for the turn. I felt like the front end had too much play but will resolve that with the front end brace. I consider the inverted fork but am not sure I want to put in that much money yet. The dirty really got in good as far as the road grime goes. I just hope it didn't dull out the gloss on the engine. have not cleaned it yet by the way. I want them shop to give the full detail before service so my mechanic can see every nook and cranny. Well i am off to post about my trip.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 PM
msleather1sangel
Novice

I yeah pictures of the trip... look my name up on youtube and you can see teh video of me near deals Gap...I was not pushing it on the road because the blind curves were ridiculous there. Pictures will be added...but not many because most of the pretty stuff was while I was riding.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 PM
olivr2
Stage IV

I checked out the video, looks like a nice ride! Let me know about the suspension bottoming out. I feel like mine does from time to time also.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:50 PM
LEGEND1964
Stage IV

Originally Posted by msleather1sangel
I just got back from the longest trip I have ever done. 4144.6 miles in 13 days. I was not riding for three of those days so it was really riding done over ten days. Route was New York lower Hudson Valley area out to Oklahoma, stopped for two days, went on down to the south then zig zagged up through the smoky mountain/blue mountain region up to West Virginia and the cut across to DC area and took 95 back home. 22 states in 1 days of riding. Traffic sucked in DC, baltimore, and Jersey but other than that, ride was all smooth. Watercooling kept me from freaking out in traffic when the temp was in the 90+ range. I had left july 28th and came home aug 9th. Oh, I also stayed one night over in Alexandria, LA. I travelled with the sport detachable saddlebags, a medium saddleman tour bag on passenger seat, and a generic duffle bag strapped on the sissy bar rack. I travelled solo and alone...which most people thought was crazy to which I replied "and?".

My VRSCDX was not as bad on the road as I thought it would be. I did have a gel seat and shifted some but I would still make some mods to get it more comfy. Namely...bars with more rise and pullback, a custom seat with built in gel pad using my seat pan, and air ride suspension. This model doesn't take to kindly to bad road conditions so better springs up front and air ride suspension will solve that plus it helps in the Big Apple. The sport windshield worked great to keep wind off my chest but it still got my helmet and shoulders. Plus it buffets a little if you really sit up tall. The saddlebags don't keep all of the rain out...if the bike is standing still. : 0 (I highly recommend the Harley FXRG gloves that are waterproof. They are expensive but worth every penny, kept my hands warm and very dry.) My V-Rod is flat black and helps to hide the dirt so that is a plus. Let's talk about mileage...I got about 35-40 per gallon. I cruised at 70 most of the time but goosed it up to above that a few times. I would stop about every 100 miles for myself to stretch mainly but I always like to give myself room to play with the gas. Letting the tank get too low is not good. each fill up was about 7 dollars and always having enough gas prepared me for traffic or crazy stretchs without a gas station. Oh, yeah...the reserve reading is total crap...do not go by the reserve reading unless you are driving 30mph in no traffic and no hills. My reserve would go from 43 to 39 to 41 in the period of two miles and the more I goosed it the faster it dropped so forget about the reserve gauge reading. The furthest I went was 125 miles and my light actually came on telling me it was time to gas up. even though the tank says it hold five gallons...you will most likely not get it below 1.5 gallons since each time I filled up it was never more than 3.5 gallons. Let me know if you want more wisdom from the trip...

I have some personal insights after this wonderful trip that I am sure someone could benefit from so let me now and I will post it...

Overall my VRSCDX did well in this long trip and I alone was able to load it up with enough stuff for two weeks and have to room to buy teeshirts.

Renee
2007 FXDL tricked out / 2009 VRSCDX blacked out
Any info would be great as late may early June Ill be going LA TO NY then down to Sarasota FL. not concearned about windshild as I want to feel the wind. I can do 400 miles in a day on it now but like you every 100 miles or so I have to streatch the legs. Just wondering if maybe you have some insight as you have done it. I plan on strapping a bag on to the rear of the seat and shipping the rest across before me as there really isnt a storage product for this bike