Wheels/Tires Questions and discussion about wheels and tires should be posted here.

Tires...to change and equipment

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 12:20 AM
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tires...to change and equipment

Hello all,

Been thinking about tire changes lately. Mainly since mine are really ready to be changed. I've watched numerous youtubes on changing tires yourself and read several articles. Most of which include someone using the "tire spoons" to remove the tire (post bead break). After doing a search for a bead breaking tool, I stumbled on the tire changing tool from Harbor Freight-yes I know they are cheap, but I'm changing my tires, not a set every day.

So the question is has anyone used or thought of using these to change their own tires? What's been your experience do they work okay? Should I follow my step dad and just use C-clamps (he and my dad are much better at bike work than I).

(https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...q=tire+changer)
and NUMBER 2 (https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...e+tire+changer+ )

Thanks for any help.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:52 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I just took my wheels to the honda dealer an had them do it...they put a 240 on my V rod rim by hand...their machine wouldn't hand a tire that big...it didn't look too hard to do without the machine.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:03 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 0.0
Hello all,

Been thinking about tire changes lately. Mainly since mine are really ready to be changed. I've watched numerous youtubes on changing tires yourself and read several articles. Most of which include someone using the "tire spoons" to remove the tire (post bead break). After doing a search for a bead breaking tool, I stumbled on the tire changing tool from Harbor Freight-yes I know they are cheap, but I'm changing my tires, not a set every day.

So the question is has anyone used or thought of using these to change their own tires? What's been your experience do they work okay? Should I follow my step dad and just use C-clamps (he and my dad are much better at bike work than I).

(https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...q=tire+changer)
and NUMBER 2 (https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...e+tire+changer+ )

Thanks for any help.
I bought a tire changer made by no mar..check them out.It isn't cheap but I've had mine for bout 10 years.really paid for itself. Now I change all my buddies tires too lol...for balancing I use dyna beads from dynamic balancing...

Old 09-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the replies. May end up doing it myself after all. Stupid Harvey really messed up the dealerships close enough for me to get too for a tire change.

thanks again.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:47 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by 0lowrider1
I bought a tire changer made by no mar..check them out.It isn't cheap but I've had mine for bout 10 years.really paid for itself. Now I change all my buddies tires too lol...for balancing I use dyna beads from dynamic balancing...
Very true. I also own a No Mar tire changer. It's great to be able to change your own tires at your own schedule. The days of dropping off a tire at a dealer and coming back at a later time to pick it up are now long gone. Plus, it you want to take the time to really clean the rim when the tire is removed, you can. It's not just about the potential money savings, it also about the time savings and flexibility, plus knowing the person who is doing the job.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:33 PM
bigfeets
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the thread is a little old but I was wondering if the op bought the hf changer and if so, how does he like it?

Old 10-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Johnnypop
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a no mar tire changer and use only to brake the bead. I use spoons to take the tire off and put back on The no mar is the right height to work on the tire and not bend the brake rotor or get dirt in the bearings.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:31 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I also have a No Mar, the Classic model. I have a floor mount and a hitch mount. I don't know if I'll ever recoup my money but it was worth every penny not to need a dealer to mount and balance my tires (on 3 bikes). Another plus is, I've never scratched one of my rims and I've never mounted a tire backwards.

The biggest savings comes with a puncture. I know the safety nannies are gonna get their pants in a bunch but I patch MY tires from the inside that have been punctured (with more than 50% tread life left). I'm just not throwing a good tire away; especially when it seems like every time I pick up a nail or screw it's right after I install a new tire.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 11-01-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:43 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

I’ve had the HF changer about ten years, I’ve even changed car tires. Bead breaker is awesome.
Down side is you must address the metal clamps, unless you don’t mind scratching your rims. Plenty of links to ideas for modifying the clamps.
I have the no-mar tire bar and some spoons. I’d try the Mo Jo bar next time.
I’ve never had a tire need balanced, at the end of tire life no unusual wear.
Bike has 97,000 miles and every tire was changed by me except one. Best investment ever.

Last edited by Hoginedgewood; 11-01-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I just took my wheels to the honda dealer an had them do it...
I take mine to my local Yamaha dealer. I order my tyres through them, they phone when it's in stock, then give me a coffee while I wait. It's all too easy!

Quick Reply: Tires...to change and equipment