Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sanity Check

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:34 AM
CoachKenB
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Sanity Check

Hey Fellas,

I could use your help figuring out something. I recently installed the DIY Air Ride and a soundstream pn4.1000D amp on my 06 Electra Glide Police. Since then I frequently had engine noise and popping in the sound system.

To troubleshoot the problem, I've ran new thicker power and ground (8ga from 10ga) to the amp, split the amp ground and power down opposite sides under the tank, added thicker and shorter (18 inch) rca cables. The engine noise would come back intermittently.

On my last ride it was unbearable, I also noticed that when I would lower the air ride (hit the momentary toggle switch that engaged the dump valve) I would hear a pop through the speakers, and the USB connection between my iphone and stereo would be broken. To reset the USB connection I'd have to power off the stereo, unplug the USB, plug it back in, and power on the stereo. Needless to say, I rode most of the ride with no tunes.

Yesterday, I started troubleshooting again, thinking there might be a ground loop or short in my air ride setup. I checked all of the connections, tested for continuity and voltage at all of the connections. All seemed good.

I then moved to the radio to check it's connections. I decided to re-do the electrical connections from the stereo harness to bike. The stereo's constant power, acc power, and ground are all spliced in to the factory wires in the fairing. I cut the ground wire first, stripped the stereo end of the wire, and let it hang. It touched the forks and made a pop out of the speakers. Seemed odd to me so I put the multi-meter on it and it had about 4 volts running through it. This is the ground coming OUT of the stereo.

As far as I know there should NOT be voltage coming out of the ground of the stereo. Do you guys agree?

I believe the radio has malfunctioned. Do you guys agree?

I've ordered a new stereo. Before I install it I'd like to insure there isn't some other problem that caused the stereo to go bad. Any thoughts on what I should check before installing the new stereo?

Attached is diagram of my stereo and air ride wiring.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Sanity Check-wiring.png  
Old 06-03-2016, 11:18 AM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't really speak to the voltage at the ground wire. But a ground wire is a "path to ground" so voltage needs to be sent through the wire at times I assume. I have never actually tested for voltage on an unconnected ground wire.

In my current install of my Rockford Fosgate amp to my EG I read all I could on their site about installations. The amp instructions and most common knowledge says to keep the Ground wire as short as possible, usually less than 18". But in motorcycle applications one should never use a ground that is not tied directly to the frame of the bike. Meaning if the ground is only connected to the forks and so forth the actually connection to the main ground may be inefficient. Maybe your ground wire inside fairing from forks to frame needs attention? If there is one. They recommend running the ground for the amp all the way to the battery negative post, as that ground is tied to the frame.

So I would suggest you try the same? Ground you radio to the frame or run at least a 10awg wire to the frame (cleaned bare metal) or to the battery.

Another note on my other bike I had terrible engine whine and noise until I installed a ground loop isolator before my amp. They are cheap.

Just some thoughts to ponder.

The following users liked this post:
CoachKenB (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 02:22 PM
CoachKenB
Advanced

My AMP ground is 8awg and is to the grounding stud in front of the battery. The radio is grounded to grounding wire in the fairing. Not sure if that wire is grounded at the triple tree or back to the grounding stud. I'll take your suggestion and ground it to triple tree to keep it short.

I'm still curious if there should be voltage coming OUT of the stereo ground wire?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:35 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Suggestion was to not ground to triple tree. Ground to frame or all the way to battery.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 PM
wheelerfolk
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you disconnect the ground and it cant complete the circuit, you will read voltage on it until it completes the circuit. Positive powering the radio and going through it to ground. When you disconnected it, you read voltage on it because it couldn't make it to ground. So it is normal. Your popping may be due to a poor ground. running your stereo and amp to the battery may be the solution. Also check the grounds for your air ride as you said it started after installing it and the amp.

The following 2 users liked this post by wheelerfolk:
CoachKenB (06-04-2016), DeputyLoud (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 08:00 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelerfolk
If you disconnect the ground and it cant complete the circuit, you will read voltage on it until it completes the circuit. Positive powering the radio and going through it to ground. When you disconnected it, you read voltage on it because it couldn't make it to ground. So it is normal. Your popping may be due to a poor ground. running your stereo and amp to the battery may be the solution. Also check the grounds for your air ride as you said it started after installing it and the amp.
With some of the viar kits popping through the stereo has been brought up a few times recently in a few groups I'm in. Not sure if it is the switch, relay or what. With my air ride I have never heard a noise outside of the compressor and solenoid. Everything should be grounded to battery. As far as what to look for I would say switch or relay as suspect first. Did you compile your own kit or buy a dirty air or equivalent?

Old 06-04-2016, 07:45 AM
CoachKenB
Advanced

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
Suggestion was to not ground to triple tree. Ground to frame or all the way to battery.

Roger that.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:52 AM
CoachKenB
Advanced

Originally Posted by slyedog
With some of the viar kits popping through the stereo has been brought up a few times recently in a few groups I'm in. Not sure if it is the switch, relay or what. With my air ride I have never heard a noise outside of the compressor and solenoid. Everything should be grounded to battery. As far as what to look for I would say switch or relay as suspect first. Did you compile your own kit or buy a dirty air or equivalent?
Bought a kit. The dump solenoid is not on the relay...just the compressor. Switching on the compressor has never caused a noise. It's always been switching on the dump. I'll replace the switch, solenoid, and relay. The kit probably had really cheap components. I'll ground it all including stereo and amp to the battery.

Thanks!