Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Systems What's Available?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default GPS Systems What's Available?

I am thinking about getting a GPS System. What are y'all using? Are the power supplies bike specific or can the one for cars be used?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:53 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1st, try a search--there have been numerous threads on this.

You can get by for ~$100, even less, if you can find a clean used one. Any major brand you can find a long deal on. If you want cutting edge, it'll cost you, and it'll be 2nd generation in 6 months.

I'm using a 7" Magellan Roadmate 1700 (paid $200, new). Not MC-specific; just put a zip-lock bag over it in the rain. Wired, through own fuse and converter, to battery--I just unplug it--EZ. Made my own bracket (improved since photo); tapped the upper handlebar clamp. It's protected by my Q/R w/s. Low, centered position is best for minimizing the effects of Harley's violent shaking, especially at idle rpm (gets worse as you locate closer to hand-grips).

Pick the largest, brightest, daylight touch-screen you can find (that'll fit). Do your own due diligence. And let us know/see how you did.

Edit to add: Perhaps one of the mods will help you out by moving this thread to a more appropriate forum?

Attached Thumbnails GPS Systems What's Available?-gps-1crn.jpg  

Last edited by lo-rider; 06-17-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:15 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i ran the zumo 550 for several years without a lick of problems. I sold it, purchased the zumo 665 in march (for the larger screen); it's already been sent back for replacement because the screen was too hard to push and the battery decided it wouldn't take a charge any longer. Hope this is not indicative of issues I'll have with this unit. Time will tell.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

walmart 109 dollars cheapest unit they had with traffic receiver stick it to my gas tank door on my tank. I turn on the "bread crumb" feature so I can see where I have been.
for really getting into it you plug it into your pc with google earth. click the appropriate selections and you can see your whole trip in click-able little arrows that have your heading speed time etc. was able to tell exactly where my piston burned up this way last year. my speed was 80+_ then 70, 60, 50, pretty cool. worth checking out. 900 less than the zumo

Old 07-25-2012, 11:05 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default If you have a Bat Wing... You have a Ciggerett Lighter

If you have a Bat Wing... You have a Ciggerett Lighter... I was talking to a fella at the dealer about getting a cig lighter installed he said, "You have one!"... Because it's where you caint see it... I didn't know... Since then I have shown a couple other fellers that indeed they did have a cig lighter